Raspberry Pi Setup Instuctions (For those who need it)

So this is what works for me
once u install Noobs rasbian or headless version

enable ssh

sudo su -

mkdir /opt/vera

cd /opt/vera/

wget https://storage.googleapis.com/veraconcierge.appspot.com/ConciergeServerVersions/ConciergeServer.jar

apt-get update

apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless

java -jar ConciergeServer.jar

cp conciergeserver /etc/init.d/conciergeserver

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/conciergeserver

update-rc.d conciergeserver defaults

service conciergeserver start

go to the web site

https://raspberrypi-ip-address:8989

Discoverd Devices Last Discovery Update: 4:23:12 AM Concierge Server IP: 127.0.1.1

The server will actually start but you ip will be 127.0.1.1:8989

:~/VeraConcierge$ java -jar ConciergeServer.jar service Aug 31, 2017 7:40:24 PM V:ConciergeServer:main:Server:127.0.1.1:8989 Aug 31, 2017 7:40:24 PM V:VeraConnect.VeraConnection:GetVeraIDs:UI6-50009731

The problem then is that the raspberry pi host file pretty much not setup properly

ssh back into to your pi

cd /etc/ Sudo nano hosts

Add this line

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX raspberrypi
where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your Pi IP(host) address (eg 192.168.0.33 or whatever) and "raspberrypi" is you host name

save the file
reboot the pi

sudo reboot

works flawlessly

I had a little trouble with the instructions… The line where you run java -jar ConciergeServer.jar seems to never return… A Ctrl-z and bg fixed that (the Ctrl-Z interrupts the process, and the bg puts that process running again in the BackGround).

The install of Java failed, mostly (I think) because Java is already installed… It complained about a ‘certificates’ package, so I tried installing that, and it said it already was installed…

I provide this info not because the problems I had mean it doesn’t work, but I think some of the steps might be unnecessary (hence the errors), and might confuse a total newbie.

Kirby

was it a fresh install rasberry pi or did u just delete the old concierge server and reinstall it?

On raspian I only needed to do the last 3 steps (that is put a hard coded IP address into /etc/hosts). It worked after that.

I also had the problem where I could not install openjdk (because raspian already had oracle-java8 installed). So i removed the partially installed openjdk.

(I also used systemd services rather than init.d but I think that is an inconsequential difference)

THank you for your post, it really helped me. I couldn’t figure out where vera concierge was coming up with 127.0.0.1

hi,
I have followed the instructions in the post but will have issue trying to connect to the webpage :8989 it just times out. Can anyone help?

service conciergeserver start

[quote=“STEELR, post:5, topic:198497”]hi,
I have followed the instructions in the post but will have issue trying to connect to the webpage :8989 it just times out. Can anyone help?[/quote]

My initial problem was trying to access the page as HTTP opposed to HTTPS

My current problem is if I manually run the program, I’m able to access the site, but not when using the service. I know the service has to partially be working because if I try to manually run it while the service is running, I get an error regarding the port already being in use.

Is there a way to see the service logs to see where the problem could be?

EDIT:

I got it to work: I was using an existing box that was originally used w/ HA-Bridge, so I skipped the java install. I went back and did all of the listed steps, rebooted, and it looks like everything’s good to go at this point

it always requires https … h

[quote=“kirbyb, post:2, topic:198497”]I had a little trouble with the instructions… The line where you run java -jar ConciergeServer.jar seems to never return… A Ctrl-z and bg fixed that (the Ctrl-Z interrupts the process, and the bg puts that process running again in the BackGround).

The install of Java failed, mostly (I think) because Java is already installed… It complained about a ‘certificates’ package, so I tried installing that, and it said it already was installed…

I provide this info not because the problems I had mean it doesn’t work, but I think some of the steps might be unnecessary (hence the errors), and might confuse a total newbie.

Kirby[/quote]

Running the command with the “&” at the end will bypass the need to manually put it into the background. Also, I thought java had a command-line option to put it into “daemon” mode (which is the CORRECT way to run it).

Is there a way to see the service logs to see where the problem could be?
I have an undocumented feature to get at startup logs ... do not recommend you leave this set ... it will fill up your disk.

When you run the concierge server … use:

java -jar ConciergeServer.jar log /Path/To/YourLogFile.log