Rachio vs EtherRain

Looking to get a new 8-zone irrigation controller that I can integrate with my Vera. Any specific recommendations between Rachio and EtherRain? I know there’s no Rachio plugin for Vera, but figured if I went that direction I could use the API.

I have a Rachio. The idea is to let their algorithm manage the sprinklers, so I didn’t really see a need to to interface with Vera. If you want Vera to manage things, perhaps some of the other solutions would be more appropriate.

Thanks! Actually, the Vera integration I want to do is very minimal. Currently, one of my 8 sprinkler zones is connected to a fountain fill valve. Timer is set to open the valve on a set schedule. I’d like to be able to trigger a fill cycle a little more intelligently, like only when the Vera detects the pump is running, which is on a z-wave appliance module.

Makes sense… You could do that zone orthogonal to Rachio. For the record, I’m pretty happy with the Rachio: I live in LA, and when I got a $100+ water bill, I took the initiative. Our water dept. actually had a rebate that included the Rachio. It’s nice not to have to worry about sensors or anything like that – but setup was a little tough. I think I was too aggressive on how I specified my lawn parameters (soil, sunlight, etc.), and a good portion of my grass deteriorated.

I just got my check on Saturday From SoCalWaterSmart aka MWD / WMWD for the Rachio. They paid for the controller and I paid for the outdoor enclosure. Pretty awesome deal considering that the 16-zone controller is not cheap.

I too am a bit aggressive allowing for 100% depletion of soil moisture before watering again, The grass is a little dry but not dead and I don’t really care that much as it will be gone within a year with a new xeroscape… Hopefully they bring back that rebate!

[quote=“Sammy2, post:5, topic:193161”]I just got my check on Saturday From SoCalWaterSmart aka MWD / WMWD for the Rachio. They paid for the controller and I paid for the outdoor enclosure. Pretty awesome deal considering that the 16-zone controller is not cheap.

I too am a bit aggressive allowing for 100% depletion of soil moisture before watering again, The grass is a little dry but not dead and I don’t really care that much as it will be gone within a year with a new xeroscape… Hopefully they bring back that rebate![/quote]

Did they pay for the entire cost? When I go to the estimator, it says they only pay $80

[quote=“shepdawg, post:6, topic:193161”][quote=“Sammy2, post:5, topic:193161”]I just got my check on Saturday From SoCalWaterSmart aka MWD / WMWD for the Rachio. They paid for the controller and I paid for the outdoor enclosure. Pretty awesome deal considering that the 16-zone controller is not cheap.

I too am a bit aggressive allowing for 100% depletion of soil moisture before watering again, The grass is a little dry but not dead and I don’t really care that much as it will be gone within a year with a new xeroscape… Hopefully they bring back that rebate![/quote]

Did they pay for the entire cost? When I go to the estimator, it says they only pay $80[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed response as I just saw this. The rebate changed from $250 to $80 just after I applied so I lucked out I guess. Good luck.