Quick Setup Guide for Dummies

I recently setup Vera Alerts and thought I’d provide simple setup steps in case it helps someone else who’s just starting out like me. It’s enough to get started and you can tweak further as required. In my case, I have a Vera Edge controller and am using Pushbullet for my iPhone.

(1) Pushbullet (PB) Setup
(a) Download PB app on iPhone and login with Facebook.
(b) Check your notification settings to ensure you’ve granted proper permissions.
(c) Go to PB’s website from a PC and login again using same Facebook account. Note your access token, which you can find from this site: https://www.pushbullet.com/account. You’ll need this later.
That’s pretty much it for this piece!

(2) VeraAlerts (VA) setup
(a) Open vera in your browser, go to APPS, INSTALL APPS, search for Vera Alerts, and install the app. You should now see it in the APPS, MY APPS listings.
(b) Go to DEVICES and select VA; you’ll be in the PROFILES tab.
(c) From the NEW PROFILE pull down menu, choose Pushbullet. Enter your AccessToken, which you can found from the previous step above (1-c).
(d) Enter a MessagePrefix if you want one or leave it blank. For example, I have this: {DateTime(CurrentTime,%D, %H:%M)}
Click Reload Luup and wait for it to finish before moving on, or the settings may not be properly saved. Also refresh browser.
(e) Go to the SETTINGS tab, and select the type of notifications, users and profiles.
Click Reload Luup and wait for it to finish before moving on, or the settings may not be properly saved. Also refresh browser.
(f) Go to the NOTIFICATION CONFIGURATION tab. Assuming you already have some alerts configured in Vera, you’ll see them listed with the Name, Description, Message Override and House Mode columns. Enter the message you want to receive in the Message Override column for each alert.
That should take care of your basic setup.
(g) Now click on BACK and let’s test. Click on the Send Alert option. Select the user and profile (PB).
Enter something in your message. Include variables that you’re testing as well (such as Date Time that was listed above), and click on SEND. You should instantly receive this message on your iPhone.
As of this writing, it will be a generic message saying you have an alert, and you can see the detailed msg when you go into the PB iPhone app, along with the history of your previous messages. In a future version of VA, you’ll be able to show the msg directly in the notification, eliminating the need to go into the PB app.

Hope this helps as a quick setup guide! It’s not meant to be comprehensive and as I am a beginner as well, please feel free to add to my steps for improvement.

Dave,
Thanks for the quick write up on this. I’ve just done a similar setup with my vera, homewave push plugin, and veraalerts. I’ve setup the profile for plugin forwarding per homewave documentation, to include the device ID, serviceID, Action, and DefaultArgs. I’ve test pushed and it works fine. I’ve got some notifications setup in my vera, but for some reason nothing is showing up under the Notification Configuration in the VeraAlerts App. Any pointers you might be able to suggest?

In my case, the alerts that I had configured as part of a scene just appeared under Notification Config. I didn’t do anything special and I don’t think it matters that you’re using homewave push.

Sorry I can’t offer any specific suggestions. This sounds like a question for Richard!

If nothing is listed in the Notification tab … then you have not setup any device notifications.

Go to devices on your Vera … and select the Notification tab … create the appropriate notifications for that device …
Save/Reload
Then go back to the Vera Alerts Notification Configuration tab … you should see them … make any overrides as needed … save/reload.

Thanks for the quick responses Dave/Richard,

I finally got them to show up. I must have read your instructions 20 times. It seems it was a combination of having my user ID selected in the notifications section and then making sure the same user was selected and the Profile created for the push to homewave was checked (see screen shot). Pulled in the notifications after that!

Making progress again… ;D