Questions re Vera Alerts and videos

I’m currently using Vera Alerts to push messages to my Android devices via GCM.

1. With Vera Alert’s video feature, I presume it can only be sent via SMTP, since GCM limits the size to 4096 bytes?

2. From http://rts-services.com/Android/VeraAlerts/, it is written that “Send a short video clip of the camera identified by DeviceID and associate it with the alert. Note you can run Vera out of memory quickly … I recommend you keep these short.” I thought that Vera stores videos onto the Vera server (and not locally)? Does VA create and store the video differently and locally? If yes, can the video be stored on the USB mass storage device?

3. If I add the syntax “{Video(DeviceID,NumSeconds)” to a notification triggered by a motion sensor, and the DeviceID is a camera, that would cause the camera to record when the motion sensor is triggered?

Thank you.

1. No Videos are supported on ANDROID via a callback, that’s why you have to enter your Vera Credentials.

2. It calls back to Vera, where the video clips are stored in your TEMP directory. But Vera does not have a lot of space.
    If you install a thumb drive for LOGS (TEMP) then you have around 400MB of Video clips.

3. Yep

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:2, topic:191597”]1) No Videos are supported on ANDROID via a callback, that’s why you have to enter your Vera Credentials.

1. It calls back to Vera, where the video clips are stored in your TEMP directory. But Vera does not have a lot of space.
    If you install a thumb drive for LOGS (TEMP) then you have around 400MB of Video clips.

2. Yep[/quote]

Thank you sir. As you suggested in another thread, I added a flashdrive onto my Vera Lite and enabled logging to USB. Understanding that the TEMP directory is now moved to USB, the videos will automatically be stored on the flashdrive?

Also, how are these video files managed as they start to accumulate? Perhaps a better question is how is TEMP directory managed? As the 400MB gets filled up, what happens?

There is software to remove the older file and not use up the whole disk … i.e. to co-exist with the log files and other users.
Of course that will fail if you have a single file Video that eats up the whole disk.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:4, topic:191597”]There is software to remove the older file and not use up the whole disk … i.e. to co-exist with the log files and other users.
Of course that will fail if you have a single file Video that eats up the whole disk.[/quote]

So there is no auto-grooming or first-in/first-out? It just builds until it is out of room?

I said its managed!

Duh! ;D I read your reply but misunderstood your meaning. When I read “There is software to remove older file…”, I understood it as “There is software [available] to remove…” I now understand that it is software intrinsic to Vera to cleanup old files.

Intrinsic to Vera Alerts.