Q on organizing plugins, rooms & PLEGs

Hello folks,

I’m just a couple of months into Vera3. So far, I’ve only been able to purchase a few devices. Schlage motorized deadbolt, 2 Schlage door sensors, 1 GE/Jasco light switch, 2 LimitlessLED RGBWs, and an Aeotec 4 in 1 sensor.

With the plugins PLEG, VeraAlerts, Push Notifications, iPhone Detector added to my device screen, the count of virtual devices & PLEG devices is getting large (and I’ve barely started with this stuff)

My question is . . . how do you people organize all this stuff? I realize each individual organizes to their own style but I’m looking for a few general organization tips.

Is it fasionable for each automation scenario to go into the “room” where the actual device is located?

Do you set up “rooms” for all PLEGs/plugins named something like “Lighting automation” or “Notifications” or “iDevices”

I’m just looking for ideas on how folks organize. As my devices, plugins, PLEG (great work RichardT!) grow, I see a lot of spaghetti in my browser window in the future.

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

Chris

For me it depends.

I usually prefer to keep all devices for a room in that room. That way I can quickly see whatever may be causing an action or interaction.

But sometimes/often things get really big and complicated. Sometimes PLEGs and virtual devices can be not just plentiful, but span multiple rooms. When that happens I add a room zzCode and dump it all there.

I put things in the Room if they have a UI that I will see from one of the controlling apps (i.e. Web Dashboard or a mobil app).

Otherwise I have a Room called “Virtual Control” that holds all of my Automation only devices.

Chris,

I move devices around and rename rooms from time-to-time to suit my needs. Current room assignments for my devices, including those created by plug-ins, are in the attached file. Most of my scenes are in a PLEG. Those that are not, I almost always trigger using a PLEG.

@BrianLBeaton

I am honored to have a virtual room in your house :slight_smile:

[quote=“BrianLBeaton, post:4, topic:177550”]Chris,

I move devices around and rename rooms from time-to-time to suit my needs. Current room assignments for my devices, including those created by plug-ins, are in the attached file. Most of my scenes are in a PLEG. Those that are not, I almost always trigger using a PLEG.[/quote]

Nice organization BLB! I can see as the devices grow, the naming scheme and sort ordering is going to be important, that sure is a lot of scrolling.

[quote=“BrianLBeaton, post:4, topic:177550”]Chris,

I move devices around and rename rooms from time-to-time to suit my needs. Current room assignments for my devices, including those created by plug-ins, are in the attached file. Most of my scenes are in a PLEG. Those that are not, I almost always trigger using a PLEG.[/quote]

Wow! That is the result of a lot of work…