Programming code

Can someone point me in a good direction and source of information on learning how to use all of this coding? I have zero experience and it seems there is a lot to learn. I have the Ezlo secure controller.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are striving to make the Ezlo as light to use as possible, having little to no need to code anything upfront to be up and running.

The availability of coding tools and the extensive documentation on the Lua API are there for the geeky or the coding-inclined users. The Lua engine and API is able to expose core modules such as the z-wave, zigbee or http for you to tweak your system to extend the basic tools that the controller offers by default (which should be enough for the general user).

However, it’s always good to learn new stuff, and a good place to start would be our official docs on the Lua API and the modules that it can work with. Keep in mind that these docs assume a basic/intermediate understanding of programming concepts and coding experience.

If you’re not familiar with Lua (the scripting language used by Ezlo) you can have an introduction using the official textbook by the creators of the Lua language.

On here you can also discuss scripting with other users.

2 Likes

question is, do you need coding to the automation you need?

Not at the moment, but the more in-depth I get with this the more I want to be able to do it myself and get the desired result. I’m not computer illiterate by any means, I just don’t know anything about coding and all that stuff mentioned above. I can set up z wave devices and do the generic automations but, eventually I’ll have more complicated things I want to accomplish\incorporate and having the knowledge base ahead of time will help.

our goal is for you to be able to do sophisticated automations without having to code it.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you so much for the information. I will begin my adventure into this. Heck, maybe I’ll start my own smart home business. :thinking::man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Let us know how we can help at any stage, we are behind you @Kevin_Simnick !

1 Like