Programmatically setting TV channel/station

I’m in the process of choosing a new set-op box or cable decoder but need some information.

I want to be able to select a certain channel at a specified time.
So instead of pushing the remote button ‘4’ then ‘3’ , I want to SetChannel(‘43’)

Is there anyway to select a tv-channel like that using upnp/dlna or other means ?

Thanks in advance

What are you controlling for your TV source? XBMC has some of those features baked in
Otherwise, I think, you’ll need to get an IR blaster, Global Cache has a number of devices [http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-100/models1/]
I use this, along with XBMC and SQBlaster though I don’t think that company is around anymore

I need to use a real cable decoder capable of dlna, and besides, I also want to be be able to do the same with a ‘smart tv’ in another room.

Controlling with IR transmitters isn’t an option (anymore) as I’ve used to do that for a while; you just couldn’t have fine grained control with those. An example is that you could exactly set the volume at a desired level without the need to know the previous setting, e.g.

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RenderingControl”, “SetVolume”, {DesiredVolume=“50”}, 56)

which is not possible with IR.
Now, instead of ‘SetVolume’, something like ‘SetChannel’ or ‘SetStation’.

I am not sure a standard DLNA service exists for doing that. What I am sure is that it is not availabile in my plugin.

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve done some research and came to the conclusion that, and lolodomo already warned me, there’s no universal way of changing channels/station via IP.
Such a pity that upnp.org didn’t define a standard for that.
I’m sure I am not the only person who wants to be able to let the system do like “At 19:30 turn on the TV and set station to ‘4’ and at 20:00 set station to ‘1’”, via IP. (btw, which works nicely with RS232 on my old pioneer analog TV)
Continuing my research…

So long as the device that you want to control has IR remote control ability you can use RexBecketts Kira plugin.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14618.0.html

Very reliable!