Problem with Intermatic CA3750 wiring

hi

I reached a point of giving up and I hate that feeling .

I was wondering if you can help me wire this unit to my pool heater .

I enclosed a link to the manual .

not sure what I’m doing wrong ,I’m starting to think unit is damaged .

looked online not the only one having difficulty with the wiring this unit .

maybe you can post on your website after you help me .

I have attached 2 images of my last attempt ,still nothing .

I hear it click but no reading at the load output .

its a 240

I have red and black both reading 120 volts and white negative .

My pool heater is 230 volts 3 wire ,red ,black ,and white .

it has numbers 1 to 6 .

I put in my 2 lines in 1 and 2 (power supply ) and white in 3

my load line for pool heater 2 lines 1 in 4 and 6 (load line) and white in 5.

now I do hear it click ,the led light on ,but when I use my meter no volts reading at load lines .

try it other few ways . nothing . I really appreciate your help ,I even got a friend who is an electrician also could not figure it out ,the manual is no help .

I was going to get anther one for my pool pump ,I wasn’t sure if I can connect a relay

to shut off the pool heater first than pool pump to allow heater to cool down .

any advice is appreciated .

manual link below also attached images of my unit .work I done so you can see my wires .

http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Intermatic-CA3750-Manual.pdf

I’m not sure if you meant to attach photos to your post, if you did they didn’t work. Can you please post photos of your CA3750 wired up or make a wiring diagram. (See my example wiring diagram below) Also the model number of you pool heater or a wiring diagram for the pool heater would be very helpful.

Following is a page showing variety of ways to wire CA3750:
[url=http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-Intermatic-CA3750.html]http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-Intermatic-CA3750.html[/url]

Original question shows Black, Red and White Negative
Sounds like 240Volt circuit and not 120Volt circuit since each Black and Red test for 120V… indicating they are two separate hot wires from 240V breaker.

Unsure what White Negative is … 3-wire?
Unsure if there is a ground wire. Or why electrician would be confused unless CA3750 was set for 120Volt, and power to terminals A and B was 240V

I just wired one of these successfully. I’m also curious why the electrician was unable to help.

Images would be helpful, but I will try without:

So, you have 240, and the jumper in the back is set to 240.

Confirm that your common is actually common. Then tie the commons together using an electrical connector. Commons do not need to be wired through the switch when using 240V. I believe this is your problem.

1. Make sure jumper on the back is set to 240V.
  2. Switch on side should be DPST.
  3. Source red and black go to 3 and 5.
  4. Load red and black go to 4 and 6.
  5. A jumper wire (make a short wire) goes from 3 to 1 and another jumper cable goes from 5 to 2. These are just to provide power to the switch mechanism.
  6. The white button should turn your heater on and off.
  7. Red LED will flash. This LED will turn green after pairing with your z-wave network.
  8. There are 2 contactors in this switch. It can be used to control both heater and pump. My example was just to control one of them. Controlling both would be different wiring.

Hopefully I was able to help!

PD

Thanks for the excellent instructions for wiring the device. After including I now have three devices Labeled 1, 2, and Pool Pump. Are device 1 and 2 supposed to do anything or do you just control through the main control which I have named Pool Pump?

I just control the main. You can control multiple circuits with the switch, but you now have it wired in duplex so just use the main one.

@pacificdune Thank you…

For 90 dollars this product works great. It is just like a regular light switch. It is easy to alternate schedules and you don’t have to worry about turning it off if you are wet.

Hi

Anyone care to recommend how to wire this for 110 voltage? I think I’m close but would appreciate the information if someone has done it. Thanks in advance.

Don

UPDATE: Found the following web site to be useful:

Will you be powering it with 110v and controlling a 110v load? You can mix and match it… mine is powered via 110v but is controlling a 220v device (pool pump).

Can you give an example of what you are controlling, maybe even use Microsoft Paint to draw something up and attach it here?

[quote=“FireBird, post:9, topic:175259”]Will you be powering it with 110v and controlling a 110v load? You can mix and match it… mine is powered via 110v but is controlling a 220v device (pool pump).

Can you give an example of what you are controlling, maybe even use Microsoft Paint to draw something up and attach it here?[/quote]

Hi FireBird

Thanks for your help. I am trying to control a 110 volt water heater. I was able to successfully install the CA 3750 with the help of this web site:

With the right information it was easy to install. It came with no instructions.

Thanks again.

Don

PD or firebird-

I know this thread is a few months old but this is my project for today :slight_smile:

Your instructions were excellent, but I have one issue. I’m going to install this box right now and both of
My wires on both sides are red. There is no black.

So I have 2 red “line” wires coming from underground and 2 red “load” wires that run to my sprinkler pump. Does it matter which is connected where (as a substitute for black) because I don’t know how to identify them! (I think it’s 240v in and a 230v pump. No neutrals.)

There’s also a green ground wire going to the pump but no ground screw in this intermatic Box like
The one I am replacing. Do I ground it to one of the casing screws? Or just not use it?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I went ahead and installed it and took a guess as to which wire was which. Apparently it did make a difference, I think the pump ran backwards and then I switched the two “load” red wires. Crisis averted :slight_smile:

@DaveH28,

Nice to know you have it figured out… Interesting that the wires were both red, and that the sequence did matter.

Cheers!

PD

Just want to say that just got this up and running and very happy with it. You can see in my pic i have 2 outlets hooked up to it. outlet one is the box on the outside for the pump and i added a switch to turn off when i’m at pump. Outlet two in the box is for lights or the pool slide that i will use a sprinkler solenoid valve for.

Are you able to run two 230 volt pumps - 1 for the filter pump and 1 for the pool vac using the CA3750.
I looked at the How to wire CA3750 z-wave contactor + Zwave basics and it shows 1 pump and 1 pool light.

Thank you