Plugin - IPhone Locator

[quote=“amg0, post:33, topic:177230”][ul][li]What are your various device names and what do you have in the iPhoneName parameter of the parent device ( the one with the (*) in the title ? let me know and I ll suggest some more troubleshooting steps[/li]
[li]Units values are N M K in upper case. I plan to change that to make it more user friendly in the final release[/li]
[li]Mute/Unmute: perfectly normal. one parent device manages the call to iCloud for all its child device. if you mute one child device, you in fact mute the parent device ( mute means : no call to iCloud ) and therefore I show the mute icon to all devices impacted by the mute action[/li][/ul]

hope this helps[/quote]

for the parent device, i have (*)Mike’s iPad with IPhoneName = Mike
child Mike which is my iphone which is called Mike
child Mike?s iPad Mini
child Mike?s iPhone this should not be there, i only have 1 iphone
child Mike?s iPod

unit name i have selected from the drop down box in the parent, and it is capital M everywhere
that is displaying km in the (*)Mike’s iPad but correct as miles on Mike. The others are displaying km, but i only have location services enabled on my iphone (Mike) so that could explain it

Mike, have you checked the iCloud account for your device names?
I noticed when one changes the name of an iDevice, the old name is still visible in iCloud and needs to be deleted manually.
Also, have you enabled the location services on your other iDevices for testing to see if the units are correctly displayed then?

MJ

Hi,

First of all great application and I like it.

One thing that I cant get working is the location, the location is stating from Vera is over 800km away when I know its only about 20 miles away.

I have entered the Lat and Lon settings in the app, and my Vera 2 is set up to show the correct town in the uk.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Mike

I did change my iphone name in icloud and on the phone as i had a problem with the apostrophe. Will have a look in icloud to see if and how i can delete the obsolete iphone name

Just to make sure … using the ‘Find my iPhone’ app on the phone does this show your device to be at the right location?
Also, did you enter the correct Lat/Lon in the settings field of the ‘iPhone Locator’ plugin? Your home location is specified there and has nothing to do with the setting of the Vera unit (Setup/Location).

Edit: and do a browser refresh [ctrl]-[F5]
Edit: remember to use decimal format (see posts below)

MJ

Great Plugin!

Is it possible to get a little more precision in the Lat/Long. I live in St. Croix USVI and the islands only 82sq miles. Find My iPhone can place me within 20 feet, however the plugin shows me 28 miles off the coast :o Deep water :slight_smile:

I did figure out you can use a - to get a west long ie: -64.77 so I went from 8000+ miles to 28 but I really need to be able to add the locations as -64.77xxxx and 17.72xxxx

I just realized the measurment is decimal degrees :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep … East or West makes a difference :).
You have to convert your coordinates to decimal format (17.43xxx/-64.46xxx).
My Home location displayed on the plugin is usually within 20 feet.

Convert here: [url=http://boulter.com/gps/]http://boulter.com/gps/[/url]
or here: [url=http://twcc.free.fr/]http://twcc.free.fr/[/url]
or google for “Coordinate converter”.

MJ

[quote=“betabob, post:46, topic:177230”]Great Plugin!

Is it possible to get a little more precision in the Lat/Long. I live in St. Croix USVI and the islands only 82sq miles. Find My iPhone can place me within 20 feet, however the plugin shows me 28 miles off the coast :o Deep water :slight_smile:

I did figure out you can use a - to get a west long ie: -64.46 so I went from 8000+ miles to 28 but I really need to be able to add the locations as -64.46.xxxx and 17.43.xxxx[/quote]

I had this problem at first as well thinking it would only accept dd.dd not the full dd.dddddddd that is in my specification. I tried afterward, and was able to successfully use the full number. try it out and you should see similar results.

One thing I have noticed amg0, is when I first setup the plugin (I removed at one point to re-install fresh and test out a new version) upon the first save, my information always gets wiped out. So essentially you have to install, wait for refresh, type in info, then save, then re-enter information. Not sure if anyone else has experienced the same. It’s also partially why I had the same problem at betabob here the first time around.

amg0 → I’ll say it again, awesome job on the plugin!! This is becoming quite an awesome function to have in my system.

I think your are right, @shmixx, if I recall correctly I had the same experience but it didn’t bother me anymore when everything was working :). Good point, though.

MJ

Just realized the issue and yes, it does accept the decimal setting all the way. What a great plugin!

I am having a issue with Parent/child. Even though I have the phones in the right order, Find My iPhone seems to be overriding the first entry in the parent field to what FMi thinks is the first.

Otherwise all is well.

Thanks!

Is there a problem with the app store ? Trying to upgrade to the 1.41 beta, but when i try to log in i get login failed. try again. And this has been for a few hours now

Nop, I can log-in without problems.

MJ

@amg0
You might want to improve the description of Lat/Lon on the settings tab a bit.
[tt](99.8888888888 >0 for North / <0 for South (decimal))
(99.8888888888 >0 for East / <0 for West (decimal))[/tt]
or similar.
These fields resulted in a few discussions for first-timers.

MJ

[quote=“Piwtorak, post:37, topic:177230”]to see the map what must be entered ? what means dd:pp ?
thanks…I am with 1.41 installed and testing.[/quote]
I meant google map: see attached pic

Different “map” than the “dynamic polling map” , I know , poor choice of words and confusing.
Dynamic polling map is a comma separated list of pairs distance:period. example
0:600,1:60,10:300,100:1800

[quote=“mikee123, post:41, topic:177230”][quote=“amg0, post:33, topic:177230”][ul][li]What are your various device names and what do you have in the iPhoneName parameter of the parent device ( the one with the (*) in the title ? let me know and I ll suggest some more troubleshooting steps[/li]
[li]Units values are N M K in upper case. I plan to change that to make it more user friendly in the final release[/li]
[li]Mute/Unmute: perfectly normal. one parent device manages the call to iCloud for all its child device. if you mute one child device, you in fact mute the parent device ( mute means : no call to iCloud ) and therefore I show the mute icon to all devices impacted by the mute action[/li][/ul]

hope this helps[/quote]

for the parent device, i have (*)Mike’s iPad with IPhoneName = Mike
child Mike which is my iphone which is called Mike
child Mike?s iPad Mini
child Mike?s iPhone this should not be there, i only have 1 iphone
child Mike?s iPod

unit name i have selected from the drop down box in the parent, and it is capital M everywhere
that is displaying km in the (*)Mike’s iPad but correct as miles on Mike. The others are displaying km, but i only have location services enabled on my iphone (Mike) so that could explain it[/quote]

yes, I think I had a bug. v1.40 v1.41 should not have that issue any more. also when using pattern matching ( meaning not having the full phone name in the IPhoneName variable ) for your phone called “Mike” I recommend to use the ^ character to mark the begin of the line and $ to mark the end so IPhoneName can be “^Mike$” if you want only that particular phone

Also maybe check what devices you have in your iCloud account by browsing the page iCloud which lists all devices in your account. you will see the exact names know. sometime legacy old phone names are still arround. that iCloud page enables you to delete a device if needed

[quote=“shmixx, post:48, topic:177230”][quote=“betabob, post:46, topic:177230”]Great Plugin!

I did figure out you can use a - to get a west long ie: -64.46 so I went from 8000+ miles to 28 but I really need to be able to add the locations as -64.46.xxxx and 17.43.xxxx[/quote]

I had this problem at first as well thinking it would only accept dd.dd not the full dd.dddddddd that is in my specification. I tried afterward, and was able to successfully use the full number. try it out and you should see similar results.

One thing I have noticed amg0, is when I first setup the plugin (I removed at one point to re-install fresh and test out a new version) upon the first save, my information always gets wiped out. So essentially you have to install, wait for refresh, type in info, then save, then re-enter information. Not sure if anyone else has experienced the same. It’s also partially why I had the same problem at betabob here the first time around.

amg0 → I’ll say it again, awesome job on the plugin!! This is becoming quite an awesome function to have in my system.[/quote]

I experience the same sometime, not sure why at this point yet. after a new install I allways force a LUA reload ( top right button in VERA ) , then a browser clear cache refresh ( Ctrl+ F5 ) , then it usually works. I know this is a bit of a pain.

@amg0
You might want to improve the description of Lat/Lon on the settings tab a bit.
[tt](99.8888888888 >0 for North / <0 for South (decimal))
(99.8888888888 >0 for East / <0 for West (decimal))[/tt]
or similar.
These fields resulted in a few discussions for first-timers.

MJ[/quote]

agreed. I ll add something similar to that

amg0 glad to hear I’m not the only one! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing major, but figured it’s worth illustrating as you rapidly update the plugin. Kudos on the speed at the revisions too. Question about 1.41 though, I saw the map. Nice little add-in. Is the purpose meant to just illustrate the lat/lon being entered? Or are there future plans to do something like show the dynamic polling ranges on this map along with our entered “home” location? I think that would be pretty cool to see as an enhancement.

@amg0

+1 for the Kudos.
You really do a splendid job with this plugin in terms of functionality but also speed of releases and new features and foremost with your patient support of your work.
Thank you

MJ

@amg0

Didn’t want the previous post messed up with more nagging :D.

But here’s something else I noticed.
This might of course be as per your design but I cannot enter decimals for distance in the PollingMap; eg: I’d like to enter
[tt]0:600,0.5:60,10:300,100:1800
^
|[/tt]
500 meters:60 seconds
as for my purposes 1km is to far off.

I am (still) using v.1.30Beta. Maybe this post is moot in the meantime.

MJ