[PLUGIN] Dynamic DNS Updater Plugin - BETA Release - Update 11 May 2015

This plugin will allow your Vera Controller to update your Dynamic DNS Service Provider.

Currently, it supports
NoIP - [url=http://www.noip.com/]http://www.noip.com/[/url]
DynDNS - [url=http://dyn.com/dns/]Domain Name System (DNS) | Oracle
ChangeIP - https://www.changeip.com

Please let me know what other services you use and would like included.

Instructions:

[ul][li]Install from the app market or manually from the files I will provide in this post.[/li]
[li]Go to the Service Provider Tab and select you provider[/li]
[li]Go to the control tab and fill in your domain, your username and password.[/li]
[li]Reload Vera[/li][/ul]

Currently, you must MANUALLY refresh you IP. This of course will be changed on final release. The point of this is to make sure you don’t blacklist yourself from your provider. ;D

Changelog:
11 May 2015 - Added ChangeIP Service

Help needed:
If you have a DynDNS account, could you confirm it works as expected?

[size=14pt]Screenshots[/size]

We all love screenshots

Released to market… pending approval

Down’t most routers already have this support ?

To some degree, yes… However, I have noticed that most routers only support the DynDNS Service which is not free or cheap by comparison. My goal here is to add every single Dynamic DNS Service that I can based on what people want…

I feel the app accomplishes two things…

For the novice, it makes it easy to find your public IP address
and also provides this service…

Who knows, people might want to “PLEG” the life out of it and have all of the lights the shuts down if their Dynamic DNS service is down LOL ;D

I’m sure I’m going to feel very dumb after that, but can I ask…, exactly what does this plugin do please?, (in layman’s terms as much as possible please)

Thx in advance

No problem

You have a Public IP address by which you can reach your home router.
That address changes regularly.
If you need to access that then its like someone with a phone number that changes every time you need to call them…

with a dynamic domain name, it maintains the record of the IP address… however this is only good if something keeps that up to date…

Konrad,

Thanks for your work on this plugin. I’m using an Apple Airport Extreme, which does not (easily) allow dynamic DNS using DynDNS. I’m somewhat unwilling to have the DynDNS updater running 24x7 on a house computer, so your updater might be a good solution for me.

I installed the 0.7 version of the plugin via the app store an hour or so ago; Luup restarted several times, then the system went quiet – but there were no new devices in the UI ??? (I’m using UI5). Log entries from the plugin are appeared in /var/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log, so the install seems to have worked in all respects except creating the interface.

I uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled. Same result :frowning:

Looking at the system using AltUI I was able to see the device, but attempting to configure anything failed and caused an immediate LuaUPnP crash / restart. One message I saw, briefly, from the AltUI javascript handler said there was an attempt to reference an invalid property called “service”, and I note that the device properties don’t include such an attribute – there is, however, a “MyService” attribute.

I’ve uninstalled the plugin for now, but I have the following questions for you: is your plugin UI5 compatible? If not, can you make it compatible? If it is compatible, can you figure out why the interface was not created? Looking forward to trying 0.8 :wink:

Many do. My old D-link DIR-655s certainly did. But Apple seems to have intentionally made it absurdly difficult to do with the most recent firmware for the Airport Extreme, and I’ve had to revert to running the DynDNS.org updater client on a household PC for the time being. Using Vera to do the updates sounds like a good solution for me :slight_smile:

I never checked against UI5 . I will do this for you asap

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thank you for creating this plug in…Would you please add ChangeIP support? PLEASE!

Will add this today :slight_smile:

I added this service and submitted it to the app store for approval. You should see it soon. Please test and report back

Any luck with UI5 testing yet?

Yes… I am almost there with reflashing my Veralite back to UI5 so I do real testing on it…

This will come in handy for me! I use DynDns for my Aquarium controller as well as my aquarium web cam. My ATT Uverse router doesn’t have DynDns support so I have the client installed on my wife’s laptop. If she turns it off and the IP changes or is out of town, I’m dead in the water for outside access short of using the cloud app. I will definitely be installing this plugin.

Cool… slief … glad its useful to you

FYI: saw that the 0.9 release was in the app store this morning, so installed to see if my Vera3/UI5 would run it yet (my last try was 0.7, which installed without errors but yielded no interface). 0.9 started installing, then entered a LUUP restart loop of death >:(

I’ve recovered my system, but don’t think I’ll try any more installs of this plugin until/unless I hear that it has specifically been tried and tested on a UI5 box :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“kapstaad”]FYI: saw that the 0.9 release was in the app store this morning, so installed to see if my Vera3/UI5 would run it yet (my last try was 0.7, which installed without errors but yielded no interface). 0.9 started installing, then entered a LUUP restart loop of death >:(

I’ve recovered my system, but don’t think I’ll try any more installs of this plugin until/unless I hear that it has specifically been tried and tested on a UI5 box :P[/quote]
Keep an eye on the changelog in the first post.
I spent a while yesterday trying to get ui5 to reinstall… Got that done and guys what… Ui7 was installed on it this morning… Lol… :grimacing:
I’m back to ui5… So I will keep testing… I will pm you once its ready

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My really great wireless router does a horrendous job with its DDNS lookup if it is behind another router. Lots of other routers can handle this relatively normal situation by looking for the public ip address by looking up the route.

The Verde does an excellent job of detecting the public IP address, so I’m thankful that it has a DDNS client plugin.