Pentair Pool Equipment

Put both Vera and the pool controller app in debug and restarted. Warning: massive log file is attached but shows the Error Getting State 7.

I also included file ‘all’ which is the dump from wget http://[ip]:4200/state/all on the pool controller pi. Ran it from the Vera as well as another device, it dumps what looks to be the json data from the controller.

Vera files.zip (663.9 KB)

Well sometimes the simplest thing is the problem. Add :4200 to the end of your url in the configuration screen. You must provide the port that njsPC is operating on.

I can’t tell you how many times I looked at that setting… brain fart. Added port and devices show up.

All good here for now. Thanks again Robert!

Matt

Its one of those obvious things so I didn’t even think to ask. It threw me that the http code returned from wget is 7 not 404. Glad you are up and running.

So we moved… sold in early 2021 and buying a house became a near impossibility in 2021 but we pulled it off and closed escrow on a 1960 Mid Century Ranch in October 2021. After doing an extensive remodel from October until now (the first three months we didn’t even live here yet) we’re finally building a pool using IntelliCenter whereas previously we used Jandy with Autelis.

I was thinking of having my Autelis flashed for Pentair but they seem to be no more at this point so I did some searching and stumbled into this thread.

Good to see Robert and Patrick still around but I also realize this thread is over a year old since the last post.

I have an rPi in a box somewhere, probably a v2 or v3 from a few years back but I don’t think for this application it should be an issue. Is this still viable to control IntelliCenter or is there a better way than this now?

BTW, HomeSEER sent me a bone for the HS Pro Software and Z-Wave Stick for something like $90 a while back but I haven’t done much with it. When we moved I took all the H/A with me, removing pretty much everything from the old house so it’s all paired to the VeraPlus still. I’m slowly getting my H/A set back up here. I hooked up a RadioThermostat Z-Wave thermostat and it joined the controller right away! If I switch to HomeSEER I’ll need to unpair everything from the VeraPlus, repair them to the HomeSEER and learn a new system.

Anyways, less I ramble on, @rstrouse @rigpapa can I use this? Looks like the last few posts were about errors and there’s nothing more showing it was ever resolved. Is it possible to get the f/w from another Autelis for Pentair and go that way instead?

Looking forward to your reply…

I can’t speak to the Intellicenter part of your question, but I can say that a v2 RPi is probably not going to do much for you any more. The v3 RPi (assuming it’s a 3B+) is probably still good for some light work, and in fact I even test my multi-hub Reactor on them to this day. Because of chip shortages, getting a newer (v4) RPi is a labor of love and a test of patience these days. There are scalpers on Amazon, but if you want to get them from legit sources at anything close to MSRP, you’ve got to work at it, and I’ve seen weeks and months lapse on availability, and then the meager stock gobbled up in minutes. So if you’ve got a working 3B+, hug it tightly and try to put to work!

You no longer need to use the Autelis device. A Raspberry Pi and an RS485 adapter will give you Vera integration without the Autelis and yes it works with IntelliCenter. You will find a ton of info in the Wiki as well. It works with IntelliCenter, IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and SunTouch. It also stands up a standalone controller if you do not have one that can control the pumps, lighting, heaters, valves… etc.

There is also a Vera plugin that works with it.

So two questions here.

Is the workload all that much for this to connect to the IntelliCenter with an R2?

Is an IntelliCenter even required? That saves a ton but my electrician will probably freak out.

I’ll read the wiki and it’s not too late to return the IntelliCenter.

Thanks Patrick and Robert!

Robert especially thanks for helping me get my old Jandy tied into Vera several years ago.

Are you guys still supporting VeraPlus?

Not sure to bother with HomeSEER…

Yeah I still run a VeraPlus and believe it or not a Vera3. While you can get a R2 to work it will outgrow it pretty quickly. I think there are still a couple of folks using a Pi Zero. There are a multitude of other platforms supported as well including Windows, MacOS, and Linux flavors.

IntelliCenter is not required but yes it is a bit of DIY since you still need to set up hardware. There are a bunch of folks running Nixie (standalone) and it too integrates with Vera. The wiki below is a guide to set up hardware for it. The components are merely a suggestion based upon what other folks have done.

This runs like a champ on B+ still running buster. Talks to Vera Secure just fine, 100% reliable, exposes all the pentair devices and settings, allows triggers. I don’t have much else on it but this package adds almost no load. Just follow what rstrouse documented.

Any screen shots of how it looks on the Vera Interface for PC, Android and iPhone?

Yes you will find a screenshot in the repo for the Vera plugin.

so just drop .eslintrc.json into the develop apps of the controller and hook up an rPi to the IntelliCenter?

If I were to do it DIY, what do I need to control it? I’m assuming a bunch of FortrezZ MIMO relays for lights, pumps and JVA’s but what about the heater?

Sorry… Just read the WiKi…

I procured an IntelliCenter with IC40 and two Pentair Valve Controllers from my plumber for $3,200 which includes the load center too. I’m thinking I’ll just go with that due to my lack of time to cobble together the parts and DIY the system, which due to the inflation thing will probably push close to $2,000 anyhow so we’re not talking about a huge amount of money here.

I’ll get an rPi at a later date to hook it into my Vera but in the mean time I’ll use Screen Logic to automate and control.

If I were to do it DIY, what do I need to control it? I’m assuming a bunch of FortrezZ MIMO relays for lights, pumps and JVA’s but what about the heater?

Good lord no. There is a full writeup in the DIY Standalone Nixie Pool Controller wiki. The heater control is described in the wiki as well. However, the solution supports RS485 controlled heaters as well like MasterTemp, UltraTemp, and UltraTemp Hybrid. Do not try to control your pool with MIMO relays.

1 Like

If you bought an IntelliCenter then you will not need ScreenLogic. If your PB has that on the list get it taken off. Also, if they are quoting something other than IntelliCenter kick them hard. You do not want a 20+ yo automation system for your new pool. I have replaced my IntelliTouch with IntelliCenter and would never go back.

New to Pentair. It is only the 521906 IntelliCenter Kit with IC40 And 2 Pentair Valve Actuators.

I thought screen logic was just a web app on one’s computer. Is the IntelliCenter only accessable through the Screen logic app on a phone or is there a different app?

BTW I AM the pool builder. Being a structural engineer I don’t see a need to pay Profit and Overhead to a PB. I’m saving in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $25,000 doing it this way. The pool plumber I contracted with got my his pricing at the pool suppy warehouse.

IntelliCenter has network access built in and does not need all the ScreenLogic stuff installed. I assume by the part number you have a pool/spa combo. The PS kits are for Pool/Spa, the P kits are for single body, and the D kits are for dual body. Make sure you are getting the right personality card for the construction.

The i5PS has 3 circuits available for lighting and aux control as 2 circuits are reserved for the Pool/Spa bodies. It can control 2 auxiliary valves for things like solar and water features but can be expanded with 6 more valves using a valve expansion module.

Heater control is not included as an Aux circuit so do not include that as an aux circuit in your count. The way Jandy manages heaters is totally different and in my view a bit braindead. Pentair has taken a body approach where the body (pool or spa) control the heat level that you are set to.

That’s what I’m getting in a kit including the IC40 SWG and two valves actuators for $3,200 which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Currently that’s all I need. I will have pool lights and instead of Z-Wave yard light control I’ll just control it from the IntelliCenter. I have no water features other than a cascading water fall as I’m not big on shear descents and the like. I find them loud and also serve to raise the pH levels due to excessive aeration. We are pre-plumbing for Solar (California Requirement but would do it anyhow) so there’ll be control needed for that eventually when I install it.

Later I’ll incorporate it into the Vera using the plugin and a rPi.

Anyone want to buy my FortrezZ Dual I/O relays? LOL. I used to use them to control a VS Pump because my old Jandy Control was not set up for it. I suppose I can find some purpose for them.

I see that the IntelliCenter has its own app. I just downloaded it.

Just to be sure you have a Pool with an attached spa and 1 filter. Is that correct?