Partial acces to devices for different user

Hello,

I will be away from home for some days and someome will come over to take care of my house. She has an android phone.
If I make for her an account on vera, is it possible she will only have acces to some specific devices?

Oh yeah,and before I forget to ask… ONLY acces on the wifi option , not via internet/3G,4G etc … basically only when she is in the house.

Thanks,
Cor

I do not think you can constrain access to certain devices via the MCV user management.
Once you give then access to the dashboard … they have access to all devices.
Then they can do it from anywhere … even across town!

If you giver her access to the wifi … It will not even need a MCV login.
They are considered validated users same as any family member. Most of the Phone apps will recognize you are on the wifi and access Vera directly, they do not need and will not use the MCV login info.

Thanks Richard,

I don’t have my wifi enabled on the vera3 … if i make an account for her, I guess I can delete it afterwards again , and she will have no acces anymore?

Cor

Is your Vera on the same LAN as your local Wifi router ?

If so … if they have access to your LAN (i.e. you hand out your WPA password) they will be able to access your Vera!

That’s all it takes. They do not even need to know the IP address of the Vera … because they will find it by sending a simple message to MCV, while connected on your LAN, and MCV will respond with the LOCAL LAN IP addess. No MCV password needed … and then with local access to Vera … no pasword is needed to control ANY device on Vera (At least those devices that are supported by the Phone App).

Is the question about Vera in general or Authomation app? If it is about the app, then it is a feature request - I asked for a very simular thing a while back…
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11517.msg92752.html#msg92752
… I could even see Autohomation being a touchscreen app fr guests. It wold be great to have multiple configs for the app so you can set it based on the room the device is in.

If it is about Vera’s main UI… it is in the wrong forum :wink:

I had assumed about the AutHomation app. Certainly would be nice to have various configs, for friendly users, to prevent UI overload, mishaps, etc.

But I think @RichardTShaefer’s point was also that in a typical situation anyone on your (W)LAN can load a Vera-aware app and start playing. That is, there is no such granular control built into Vera.

@Aaron ; initially it was for the authomation app , but i am expanding the question , since this partial acces is not possible. I haveread your thread, but that was slight different , that was for guest acces. I want one particular user/password to have acces to some devices. ( Hence the new thread).

YEP.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:4, topic:174208”]If so … if they have access to your LAN (i.e. you hand out your WPA password) they will be able to access your Vera!

That’s all it takes. They do not even need to know the IP address of the Vera … because they will find it by sending a simple message to MCV, while connected on your LAN, and MCV will respond with the LOCAL LAN IP addess. No MCV password needed … and then with local access to Vera … no pasword is needed to control ANY device on Vera (At least those devices that are supported by the Phone App).[/quote]

Just to make it clear; She has acces to the internet via wifi at my home. So she will be able to controll the devices. no resctrictions possible!

But now , when I install authomation on her mobile phone, and set it up for her… I don’t want her to have acces to my house when she is not at my place. In short; it is OK , whan she acces all when she is in my wifi area, but NOT when she has acces via her own internet connection at her home, er via her mobile phone when she uses 3G.

Thanks,
Cor

Setting the app for local access will only give her access to your Vera when on your local network. She will not be able to access your Vera when not connected to your network (e.g. in your home).

Having a guest access / user access control is a nice idea and I’ll add it to my ever growing list of feature requests. But this is something that will not be added any time soon. It would require some good deal of thinking and work to implement into the app.

• Garrett

thanks for the explanantion Garrett.

Cor

Today I have cpnnected an AP near my gate , so anyone who knows the wifi password can connect to my network.

If I understand correctly , when someone downloads authomation and and click “auto configure” he/she has full acces to all devices. No username and password is required?

Than, when someone moves outside my wifi network and connects via another wifi network , it won’t work?

Thanks,
Cor

Correct, if they are not on the network that Vera is on and they do not have the username and password for remote access, they will not be able to control your Vera.

• Garrett

Thanks for the confirmation Garrett.

One more question just boiled up. The plan is to hide most devices and set a password. But what when I add a new device… it will automatically show up I guess… There is no way , not to have it automatically show up?

Thanks,
Cor

Any new device will automatically show up. There is no way to tell the app to not show up from the Vera side. Vera has no standard of telling a device to hide and let 3rd party apps enforce that rule.

• Garrett

I am out of town and will try to do some testing this weekend.

ok ,and what about automatic updates , it will hold its hidden items and password?

I think that’s the last question :slight_smile:

Thanks,
cor

Yes

• Garrett

Thanks a lot ;D

Cor