Output device idea - fake TV

I saw an interesting little device in SkyMall yesterday for simulating the reflected light from a television screen. When you’re away from home, this device operates on a timer and makes it look as if someone is home watching TV.

Here’s a cheesy product website that describes its operation.

I immediately thought it would be cheaper and more fun to develop a custom device for this. I still haven’t assembled my Arduino gateway, though. Maybe this weekend.

What a good idea.

I have seen that product and thought about using it with a zwave outlet, but didn’t want to spend all that money for what may be $3.00 in parts and labor.

I have my gateway in and a few things running very well. That will be a great one to work on (after I finish the other arduino projects I have going on).

Sounds like a great project!

I hate when other people beat my ideas to the market.

So much for my ‘Fake Domestic Disturbance’ product.

Back to the drawing board… :frowning:

[quote=“Vodden, post:4, topic:180673”]I hate when other people beat my ideas to the market.
So much for my ‘Fake Domestic Disturbance’ product.
Back to the drawing board… :([/quote]
I think with the right sound track (glass smashing/intelligible yelling), and some strategically-placed subwoofers to create thumps, there might still be a place in the market for this.

I saw this in Sky mall also, I went with I can use my HUE bloom to do that … i just cost a lot more :-\

How will you do that with the philips Bloom??

With the HUE plugin and a scene the changes the colors
With it.

This thread might ‘shed some light’ on this project too.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23342.0.html

Couldn’t help myself ;D