Outdoor temp from Trane stat

Is there any way to get the outdoor temp to pass through to Vera3 UI5? I would rather use my actual outdoor temperature than one from an airport 20 miles away. I have a sensor wired in and working on the stat’s display.

I pulled the thermistor (2-wires) from my Trane stat and mounted the thermistor in a small box in a remote location- about 25’ from the actual thermostat. It’s still working fine- and Vera (and the display on the actual T-stat) show the temperature from the remote location. No reason it wouldn’t work for an outdoor location.
See link for more info:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,6287.msg46343.html#msg46343

While that would work. I would have to get a second thermostat and call it outdoor stat, and it wouldn’t really be recognized by Vera as an outdoor temperature sensor, just another thermostat that has a wildly different temperature.

The Trane stat has two sets of terminals for attaching remote sensors. You can configure them individually as either indoor or outdoor temperatures. The result of setting one to outdoor (RS2) and hooking it up is that it begins to display “Outdoor Temperature” at the top of the display on the stat.

What I would really like is to have that second sensor reading recognized by Vera as the global outdoor temperature, rather than the Google Weather app.

Is this the RCS TZ43?
Although the thermostat supports additional sensors, Vera does not. (All 3 sensors are supported in HomeSeer)

I did file a bug / feature request for it way back for UI4, it was closed but never addressed.
I’ll file one for UI5.

JOD.

*Edit. http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=2064

Thanks JOD

I’m not sure about the RCS, I understand from reading in the forums that they look identical. I am a Trane HVAC dealer, so the Trane one is all that I’m familiar with. The model numbers do start the same TZ… so I’m sure they are the same. Trane has never made their own stats.

Couple of questions.

How do you set it to be an outdoor sensor? I looked in my Trane tstat and the manual and didn’t see anything.

How are you connecting the external sensor? Did you solder some posts on first? I just have empty holes.

TIA

Trane does not support multiple sensors at least mine does not. You need to buy the RCS version which includes the ability for multiple sensors. RCS and Trane are the same stats, except the trane has less features.

• Garrett

[quote=“shifter775, post:6, topic:170157”]Couple of questions.

How do you set it to be an outdoor sensor? I looked in my Trane tstat and the manual and didn’t see anything.

How are you connecting the external sensor? Did you solder some posts on first? I just have empty holes.

TIA[/quote]

On the right hand side of the back plate of the stat there is another terminal strip with 4 terminals (they look just like the ones on the left that your main wires connect to). The terminals are labeled RS1 and RS2. If you connect a 10k thermistor to RS2 you can go into the installer settings and make it an outdoor sensor. So if you have a couple of extra wires that can be connected up all the way to the outdoor unit, you can put your thermistor out there and connect the wires to RS2.

They may also have models that do not have the secondary terminal strip, I’m not sure. It’s ridiculous how many different thermostat models there are.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:7, topic:170157”]Trane does not support multiple sensors at least mine does not. You need to buy the RCS version which includes the ability for multiple sensors. RCS and Trane are the same stats, except the trane has less features.

• Garrett[/quote]

Mine is a Trane stat. It’s just that they have too many different models, and some with no apparent difference until you need it to do something you thought it was capable of.hehe

The visual difference between the Trane and the RCS is that the Trane is marked “Trane” and the RCS is not branded.
The RCS display’s “RCS” when booting, the Trane displays “Trane” so there is an internal software difference.

The physical difference is the RCS has 4 extra pins (for remote sensors) attached to the back of the T-stat and an additional socket on the sub-base to accept those pins. But the Trane does has the 4 contact points visible on back, just not the pins or socket on the sub-base.

JOD.

Well that is unfortunate. Probably cheaper for me to get a weather station and connect it than switch to an RCS.

Thanks for all the info.

I am using a RCS TZ43 Z-Wave Thermostat with the axillary temperature probe to monitory my hot tub water temperature. It could have just as easily been used to monitor outside temperature. It works great on my hot tub but has anyone attempted to remove the thermistor from a Everspring ST814-2 Z-Wave Temperature & Humidity Sensor? It states that the temperature range = -4F to 122F, is that the operating temperature for the electronics or is -4F the lowest it will register/display? I have had my HSM100 display as low as -26c. (-14.8 Fahrenheit) even though is is rated for a range of 32° - 104°F (0° - 40°C).