Outdoor motion detector

Anyone have any experience with zwave motion detectors for use outdoor? I’ve been trying to use Blue Iris converted cameras to detect motion but I’m not have great success. The principle problems so far is that creepy-crawlers cross the lens our they leave webs or tendrils across the lens triggering the motion. I’ve fiddled with sensitivity but because they are right on the lens it’s almost impossible to find a setting that works without a lot of false triggers.

So I’m looking to perhaps switch to ZWAVE PIR detectors that will hopefully be less prone to false triggers. But the ones I’ve seen so far don’t look like they will resist the elements very well

I used monoprice motion sensors outside. I put caulking around the seams where the twonparts joint. In my set up, they work fairly good. One of them was outside during this past year in a harsh winter and it is still working! I have the older model which doesn’t have the cut out in the back for hanging by a screw, so I njust velcro them to where they need to be

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

[quote=“Wekurtz74, post:2, topic:188188”]I used monoprice motion sensors outside. I put caulking around the seams where the twonparts joint. In my set up, they work fairly good. One of them was outside during this past year in a harsh winter and it is still working! I have the older model which doesn’t have the cut out in the back for hanging by a screw, so I njust velcro them to where they need to be

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll start my list with them. I have several Monoprice 11990 Dual Relay units in outside boxes and so far they’ve been flawless.

I should note that they are near by full power z wave devices, which I think helps with functionality. For example, on the outside wall where the inside wall had a full power switch that can, I assume, relay signal.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

You could always weatherproof the circuit boards. There are several ways of doing that, one is covering it in epoxy. [url=http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-waterproof-circuit-boards-epoxy-method/]http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-waterproof-circuit-boards-epoxy-method/[/url]

That’s a thought. I’m also looking at some self-adhering waterproof tape

I used this on the housing of two outside Wi-Fi camera. I had to loosen the housing a but to get the camera to align horizontally so I wrapped this around the joint.

I just installed an everspring 103 motion detector outside. It allready had a thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail, and 35 degrees celsius without a problem.

The detection works fine, I was concerned with detecting cars , but it does a great job so far.

Cor