Option request - Virtual State in mios market not seen

Hi,

The virtual State from Kgrrr isn’t seen in Homebuddy.

Could you do something.

One more idea is to enlarge the homebuddy compatibility to the mios market, so you don’t have to add many device one by one.

It could be better as plugins in market are follow by svn or someting like that.

Gilles.

Sorry, I don’t know what “Kgrrr” is… can you please explain? ???

I think he is referring to the the Virtual On Off Switch plugin.

“Kgrrr” is a user in this forum: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=profile;u=12701 But I don’t know about the plugin he released, have to do some research in the forum…

I released the virtual switch plugin on apps.mios.com to make the virtual switch available to everybody.

How is your app recognizing devices? I’d be glad to provide all info’s you need to make the plugin work with your app.

[quote=“chixxi, post:4, topic:170374”]“Kgrrr” is a user in this forum: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=profile;u=12701 But I don’t know about the plugin he released, have to do some research in the forum…

I released the virtual switch plugin on apps.mios.com to make the virtual switch available to everybody.

How is your app recognizing devices? I’d be glad to provide all info’s you need to make the plugin work with your app.[/quote]

I think gilles was really referring to your plugin chixxi. I have to look at the plugin, but what device type are you using for the virtual switch plugin?

• Garrett

Update:

I looked at your plugin and was wondering why you decided to create your own device file and not use say D_BinaryLight1? Rakstar is most likely looking at the device category to determine what type of device it is. Since you have your own device, it is probably categorized as category 0 and not say category 2 or 3. For my app, when I parse the json data, I look at all of the device’s categories to determine what type of device it is and provide the proper controls.

• Garrett
I looked at your plugin and was wondering why you decided to create your own device file and not use say D_BinaryLight1?
  1. I think I did that because I wanted to use a separate json file to be able to have custom icons once apps.mios.com provides the possibility to install png’s.

2. Because there are no development guidelines which say that no new serviceid’s and device files shall be created to guarantee compatibility with all kind off mobile apps >:(

I guess the best thing would be to do an update of the virtual switch plugin which adjusts those “errors”. Already working on it…

And I guess it would be smart to really define a standard how third party apps are supposed to recognize vera’s devices…

[quote=“chixxi, post:6, topic:170374”]

I looked at your plugin and was wondering why you decided to create your own device file and not use say D_BinaryLight1?

1. I think I did that because I wanted to use a separate json file to be able to have custom icons once apps.mios.com provides the possibility to install png’s.

2. Because there are no development guidelines which say that no new serviceid’s and device files shall be created to guarantee compatibility with all kind off mobile apps >:(

I guess the best thing would be to do an update which adjusts those “errors”. Already working on it…[/quote]

Documentation is lacking and I had to do a lot of poking around to figure stuff out. Most of the custom plugins have a category of 0 if they use their own device type. If you use a device file like binarylight or any of the others, than they will get the proper category number. I wish there was an easier way to support all of these plugins with out adding custom code to the 3rd party apps to make them work. Reading the documentation for 3rd party applications say to use the category number to help determine the device type. Are you using the custom icons with the virtual switch plugin? By the way, I do appreciate your time and effort in providing plugins to vera.

• Garrett

If I change the device type to the one used in the binary switch (urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:BinaryLight:1) the virtual switches get assigned to the lights-category. But if I then change the icon in the vswitch json it also changes the icons of all normal switches (which basically have another json).

If I have a look at the the Smart Phone plugin, it also uses the category to recognize devices. But then you still need to have the same servicetype and serviceid as a standard switch for it to work since the according service type is not read but hard coded in the plugin. And I guess that’s the same with third party apps. So I guess by getting a device in the right category (in whatever way) your not done, since the apps then still don’t no the custom servicetype’s and serviceid’s.

I don’t no if I am being stupid now, but it seems like there is no possibility to use custom icons in the vera’s UI and still provide compatibility with third party apps.

So if this is true this is only a solution for really simple plugins, for more advanced plugins (like a custom icon => lol) all apps would need to be updated for each plugin.

And yes I want custom icons for the virtual switch since I switch everything but lights with it. I know it’s not implemented in the published version, but that is because of apps.mios.com not being able to transmit png files to the vera during installation as for the moment.

In my app, I have the service types hard coded. So all I need to know is the category for that device and I already know what service type it is so I can use that in the url string to send the command.

• Garrett

Sorry for my lack of information.
I make a mistake, it’s chixxi plugin.

don’t know how homebuddy works but it will be interesting to integrate a device scan mecanism if it’s possible. So new devices will be discovered.

Thank you

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 avec Tapatalk

[quote=“gilles, post:10, topic:170374”]Sorry for my lack of information.
I make a mistake, it’s chixxi plugin.

don’t know how homebuddy works but it will be interesting to integrate a device scan mecanism if it’s possible. So new devices will be discovered.

Thank you

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000[/quote]

This would be a nice optoin, but could be pretty difficult to tackle. The data that we can retrieve provides us with the info for service type and device type, but not what type of actions can be done with that service and device type. So it would still require adding additional code to support plugins that provide a custom service and device file. In other words we would need to look at the device file to figure out the actions that device takes for control.

• Garrett

Discussion continued here.

Virtual Switch is now supported from v0.28+