openLuup: Turn-key Images & Linux (Aptitude) Guide

I’m going to try something a little different. Now hosting turn-key Linux images. Each image comes with the following:

[1] openLuup release 8 & AltUI - most recent master versions.
[2] Debian Jessie 8 (headless) or alternatively Ubuntu Standard Server 15.10.
[3] Weaved (remote access to UI via Web and SSH) for select distros (limited support).
[4] Custom backup Bash script (performs backup of select files and has CL arguments which I’ll discuss later). Deprecated.

[hr]

Raspbian Jessie Lite (Debian 8, Lite calorie) 8 for the Raspberry Pi (2 and 3).
openLuup Version 8 (Master):
Direct Download Link: [url=https://1drv.ms/u/s!AowgRiTGGe1Ljr5whpvJeq-gtElHBQ]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AowgRiTGGe1Ljr5whpvJeq-gtElHBQ[/url]
260MB download (requires minimum of 4GB to store image). Requires 7-zip to unpack image.

[size=8pt]user: pi
password: raspberry
sudoer: yes (sudo su)
root: yes[/size]
resize partition, localization and password change utility: sudo raspi-config
Weaved configuration (remote connection): sudo weavedinstaller

[hr]

Ubuntu Standard Server 15.10 for the Raspberry Pi (2 and 3).
Removed: Will be updated to latest version at a later date.
000MB download (requires minimum of 8GB to store image).

[size=8pt]user: ubuntu
password: openluup
sudoer: yes
root: yes[/size]

[hr]

Debian Jessie Lite (Debian 8; Lite calorie) for the Odroid XU4.
000MB download (requires minimum of 4GB to store image).

[size=8pt]user: odroid

console login: root
console password: odroid[/size]

[hr]

Odrobian Vanilla (Debian 8; 5422) for the Odroid XU4.
000MB download (requires minimum of 4GB to store image).

[size=8pt]user: odroid

console password: odroid[/size]

[hr]

Debian Server 8.4.0 (Clone) for Oracle Virtual Box
openLuup Version 8 (Master):
Direct Download Link: [url=https://1drv.ms/u/s!AowgRiTGGe1Ljr5vFWmnQthw5L4BJQ]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AowgRiTGGe1Ljr5vFWmnQthw5L4BJQ[/url]
452MB download (8GB max disk capacity, 1GB memory & 1 CPU); compressed using 7-Zip
[size=8pt]** Will not contain a backup shell script.[/size]

[size=8pt]user: test

console password: openluup[/size]

[hr]

The end user can now download the image file from the URL provided above and load onto an Micro SD/eMMC or SSD(dependent on your hardware). Once that’s complete, load the storage media into their device then expand the partition and change your password/localization and enable the GUI (IF applicable, if you prefer). Weaved is installed and you must create an account with them before proceeding with the setup (weavedinstaller). I have created one scene to execute a custom shell script and perform a openLuup backup. You can obviously adjust this to your liking (days, weeks and specific time) and optionally do as you like with the payload (below). For now, I have the scene executing at midnight daily.

I’m looking to host more flavors (please comment here on what you’d like to have) and I will continue to update the images as Akbooer releases newer versions. That is, until an upgrade can be performed directly within openLuup. Please remember to thank Akbooer and amg0 for all their hard work as well as the developers who have provided their support.

[hr]

Edit [03-15-16] : Turn-key will have it’s own individual guide(s) as well as Linux (Aptitude). I hope this alleviates any confusion.
Edit [03-21-16] : Updated Linux_Aptitude guide for support of ’ /etc/cmh-lu > /etc/cmh-ludl/files ’ (symbolic link). release 1.3
Edit [03-21-16] : Added Odroid XU4 Debian Jessie 8 image for download.
Edit [03-21-16] : Added Odroid XU4 Odrobian Vanilla (Jessie) image for download.
Edit [03-22-16] : Guides for Raspberry, Odroid and Linux (Aptitude).
Edit [03-23-16] : Added Ubuntu Standard Server 15.10 image for download.
Edit [04-19-16] : Revised Linux Aptitude guide. Added Oracle Virtual Box Clone for Debian 8.4.0 Server.
Edit [05-04-16] : Removed Bitly which was causing issues with download links.
Edit [07-13-16] : Added VBox with openLuup v8 (Master). Future upgrades are handled by this release (big thanks AK)…
Edit [07-22-16] : Raspbian Jessie for Raspberry Pi (models 1,2 and 3) with master versions for both openLuup v8 and AltUI master.
Edit [09-22-17] : (Coming 09-24-17) Raspbian Stretch for the Raspberry Pi Model Zero/Zero W.

[hr]

Backup payload:

{
   "version":"1127.031316",
   "host":"openLuup",
   "eth0":"10.0.4.122",
   "user":"root",
   "status":"0",
   "detail":{  
      "description":"openLuup_Backup",
      "abort_code":"0",
      "abort_text":"nil",
      "epoch":"1457918697",
      "input":{  
         "arg1n":"backup path",
         "arg1v":"",
         "arg2n":"initiate failsafe",
         "arg2v":"",
         "arg3n":"output path",
         "arg3v":"",
         "arg4n":"unique disk id",
         "arg4v":"",
         "arg5n":"disk watch",
         "arg5v":""
      },
      "output":{  
         "arg1n":"backup path",
         "arg1v":"/etc/cmh-ludl/*.xml /etc/cmh-ludl/*.json /etc/cmh-ludl/*.lua /etc/cmh-ludl/icons/* /etc/cmh-ludl/cgi*/*",
         "arg2n":"initiate failsafe",
         "arg2v":"false",
         "arg3n":"output path",
         "arg3v":"/home/pi/vera/backup/2016.03/week.11",
         "arg4n":"unique disk id",
         "arg4v":"859cf567-e7d3-4fa7-82b8-cb835cd272c6",
         "arg5n":"disk watch",
         "arg5v":"95"
      },
      "disk":{  
         "uuid":"859cf567-e7d3-4fa7-82b8-cb835cd272c6",
         "usage":"25",
         "unit":"percent"
      },
      "memory":{  
         "total":"970813440",
         "used":"104247296",
         "free":"866566144",
         "unit":"bytes"
      },
      "file":{  
         "filename":"1457918697[Mon]-openLuupBackup.tgz",
         "filesize":"50171",
         "unit":"bytes"
      },
      "distro":{  
         "description":"Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
      }
   }
}

[quote=“CudaNet, post:1, topic:191587”]I’m going to try something a little different, I’m hosting an image download pre-configured with:

[1] openLuup (release 7) & AltUI.
[2] Raspbian Jessie Lite v8 (you should be able to enable the GUI if you prefer).
[3] Weaved (remote access to UI and SSH).
[4] Custom backup Bash script (performs backup of select files and has CL arguments which I’ll discuss later).
[5] Credentials for Raspberry login: user=pi password=raspberry (default for Raspbian).

Image download: [url=http://1drv.ms/1WRDftG]http://1drv.ms/1WRDftG[/url]
349MB download.[/quote]

[size=1em]And I’m racing off to buy a 8Gb SD so I can be one of the first to do this…[/size]

[size=1em]Thanks for the trouble you have gone to do this and make it accessible to everyone that don;t have the necessary computer skills. I would have tried openLuup when it was first released but could never get my head around what to down load and how to install. [/size] :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome and let us know if you have any questions during and after the install. I’ll update the original thread with a quick-start…

[quote author=zedrally link=topic=36861.msg274837#msg274837 date=1457990479]

[code][quote=“CudaNet, post:1, topic:191587”]I’m going to try something a little different, I’m hosting an image download pre-configured with:

[1] openLuup (release 7) & AltUI.
[2] Raspbian Jessie Lite v8 (you should be able to enable the GUI if you prefer).
[3] Weaved (remote access to UI and SSH).
[4] Custom backup Bash script (performs backup of select files and has CL arguments which I’ll discuss later).
[5] Credentials for Raspberry login: user=pi password=raspberry (default for Raspbian).

Image download: [url]http://1drv.ms/1WRDftG[/url]
349MB download.

[/code]

[size=1em]And I’m racing off to buy a 8Gb SD so I can be one of the first to do this…[/size]

[size=1em]Thanks for the trouble you have gone to do this and make it accessible to everyone that don;t have the necessary computer skills. I would have tried openLuup when it was first released but could never get my head around what to down load and how to install. [/size] :)[/quote]

Well, I’m a real noob as I can’t get past the first step.

Win32DiskImager.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 740
The requested operation requires elevation.

Downloaded both just to be sure, running Win10 is there another Imager that I can use?

Running Win10 here as well and this issue is more than likely attributed to an ‘elevation’ issue. Right click on Win32 Disk Imager and run as administrator.

[quote=“zedrally, post:4, topic:191587”]Well, I’m a real noob as I can’t get past the first step.

Win32DiskImager.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 740
The requested operation requires elevation.

Downloaded both just to be sure, running Win10 is there another Imager that I can use?[/quote]

That did it.
Thx

edit:[s] I’ve managed to get it to the ping test…All good till there but unable to login from Putty (No characters are accepted after typing in default user , ie the Password.
Tried with WinSCP login in as default user and will not accept the password which I have assume is
default user<<@>> ip address << password: >> default password
ie default user @ 192.168.0.19 default password

I’ve tried all variations of this, default password, password, <>, etc
[/s]

I’m using 192.168.0.19 which pings OK.

PING 192.168.0.19 (192.168.0.19): 56 data bytes
56 bytes from 192.168.0.19: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.7 ms
56 bytes from 192.168.0.19: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.7 ms
56 bytes from 192.168.0.19: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.6 ms
56 bytes from 192.168.0.19: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.7 ms

— 192.168.0.19 ping statistics —
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.6/0.6/0.7 ms
[s]I know that I’m doing something wrong as I’ve tried to SSH into Vera many times and have given up in disgust as I’m always firewalled with the Password. Could this be a Win10 problem?

Help…[/s]

Edit 2, for any noob like me: Use the User name “pi” and Password “raspberry”

It looks like you’re making progress. It’ll take 10x longer than normal the 1st time, the next time you do this it’ll go 10x faster.

I’ve now hit a brick wall with VBox.
Tried both versions (win 14 & the latest win16) neither show Linix 64 (all OS are 32 bit…)
Uninstalled re-installed several times now and no progress.
Any suggestions?

The first post shows a quick start list of things to do (1-9). Basically install the image (which you’ve done), log into the unit and using the built in configuration utility of Raspbian - change the localization, password and expand the partition. Once you’ve completed those steps you’re actually done. Now just go to the URL http://your.ip.address:3480

You actually went much further than needed. So were you able to change the user’s password, expand the partition and set localization ?

[quote=“zedrally, post:8, topic:191587”]I’ve now hit a brick wall with VBox.
Tried both versions (win 14 & the latest win16) neither show Linix 64 (all OS are 32 bit…)
Uninstalled re-installed several times now and no progress.
Any suggestions?[/quote]

Yes, all have been set as per instructions.

I’m confused as to why VBox and gparted are now being used ?

Vbox and Gparted are optional steps for those wanting to install Linux versions such as OpenWrt. OpenWrt doesn’t have a utility (per-se) to expand the partition, so those steps explain how one could achieve this. I’ll see about breaking out just the turn-key instructions tomorrow to keep it short and simple for others.

Yes, all have been set as per instructions.

I’m confused as to why VBox and gparted are now being used ?[/quote]

So that’s it?

What’s to do next?
Noob problem… just login to your IP at Port 3480
(I ask this as I’m referring back to the Linix txt document and between the Instructions on this thread and the Linex txt I’m really confused.)

Sorry, I’m just not seeing the obvious.

I’ve packed a lot into one day and eventually found the that the turnkey is indeed a turnkey solution.

Now the fun begins… I can’t express my appreciation enough for the assistance that has been offered.

(and I thought getting my head around Boolean Algebra was hard…)`

OK! Now you guys are getting it together. Glad to hear about this image “load and go” thing.

However that begs the question now from me. I don’t use a PI. I got an Odroid XU4 running a ported Jessie Debian called Odrobian. Do you think this work for this SBC or does it need to be ported to work on the XU4?

I actually checked into Odrobian when you first mentioned the XU. Honestly, I’m still not sure. However, if you have an extra Micro laying around give it a try. In fact, you don’t need to do anything except load it and see if it works. If you don’t have an extra card then definitely wait this one out.

[quote=“bucko, post:13, topic:191587”]OK! Now you guys are getting it together. Glad to hear about this image “load and go” thing.

However that begs the question now from me. I don’t use a PI. I got an Odroid XU4 running a ported Jessie Debian called Odrobian. Do you think this work for this SBC or does it need to be ported to work on the XU4?[/quote]

That’s it.

I think part of the confusion is you were expecting more steps. Load the image and do a few things to personalize/secure the install and your done. The Linux guide is comprehensive and covers most all aspects of a ‘fresh’ install which uses aptitude (apt-get). When you feel a little more comfortable with what you’ve done you can start reading through the Weaved part of the Linux instructions. Now keep in mind that it’s broken into two steps, a new install[Part 1] and configuring your Weaved install [Part 2]. You already have Weaved installed on your image so you you only need to configure Weaved.

-----------------------------------------------------
[35]	Step [35] Configuring Weaved
	Turn-Key and Linux; [Optional].
	-----------------------------------------------------

[quote=“zedrally, post:12, topic:191587”]So that’s it?

What’s to do next?
Noob problem… just login to your IP at Port 3480
(I ask this as I’m referring back to the Linix txt document and between the Instructions on this thread and the Linex txt I’m really confused.)

Sorry, I’m just not seeing the obvious.

I’ve packed a lot into one day and eventually found the that the turnkey is indeed a turnkey solution.

Now the fun begins… I can’t express my appreciation enough for the assistance that has been offered.

(and I thought getting my head around Boolean Algebra was hard…)`[/quote]

I’ve updated the original thread, we now have two guides. One for Aptitude and the other specific to the turn-key install.

[quote=“CudaNet, post:14, topic:191587”]I actually checked into Odrobian when you first mentioned the XU. Honestly, I’m still not sure. However, if you have an extra Micro laying around give it a try. In fact, you don’t need to do anything except load it and see if it works. If you don’t have an extra card then definitely wait this one out.

[quote=“bucko, post:13, topic:191587”]OK! Now you guys are getting it together. Glad to hear about this image “load and go” thing.

However that begs the question now from me. I don’t use a PI. I got an Odroid XU4 running a ported Jessie Debian called Odrobian. Do you think this work for this SBC or does it need to be ported to work on the XU4?[/quote]

FYI- I just tried the img on my XU4 (emmc). Sadly it does not work. No boot at all.[/quote]

Yes, that’s not good news… So how hot does the Odroid run since it appears to ship with a fan? I’m looking to replace my pi2 with one of these, just wishing this was fanless.

[quote=“bucko, post:17, topic:191587”][quote=“CudaNet, post:14, topic:191587”]I actually checked into Odrobian when you first mentioned the XU. Honestly, I’m still not sure. However, if you have an extra Micro laying around give it a try. In fact, you don’t need to do anything except load it and see if it works. If you don’t have an extra card then definitely wait this one out.

FYI- I just tried the img on my XU4 (emmc). Sadly it does not work. No boot at all.[/quote][/quote]

Anyone creating a docker container? Love the pi plan, but if you already have a Docker-capable NAS, it is real convenient to run new apps that way sans hardware…

Cudanet, successfully loaded the turnkey image onto my Raspberry Pi 3, no problems to report.

David