Open garage door with Alexa workaround

I came up with a workaround for prohibited devices with Alexa. (works at least with Aeon Labs ZW062)

Just change the subcategory in advanced/params from 5(garage door, prohibited) to 7(water valve, not prohibited)

This is very simple to do, and works like a charm.

This isn’t working for me.

Stupidly I can use turn On/Off but not open close

If I use it in a scene is shows as prohibited

Is there another way to trick Vera.

[quote=“Cobalt, post:2, topic:198839”]If I use it in a scene is shows as prohibited

Is there another way to trick Vera.[/quote]

A virtual switch can be controlled by Alexa, and a scene can trigger your garage door based on the virtual switch being turned on or off. There’s a lot of discussion on this forum and elsewhere about the risks of letting Alexa control doors and such, especially without voice recognition. If you haven’t considered those issues you might want to do so before implementing.

It shouldn’t be disallowed…

I’m sick of others determining what is right for me… It’s my choice to risk the security or not…?. We dont have a security risk here and are well and truly far enough away that no one will hear me talk to alexa

If they are going to do this they need to make a security plugin or have some form of check box tgo accept the security risks.