One stop shop for buying everything needed for home automation.

Hello, I am obviously new here, this is my first post.

I thought I’d ask you, having hard earned experience, if you have a shopping list for home automation given your experience with your current setup. I plan to build a home next year and I am putting together what I’d like installed. I know some brands work better than others and thought people who have been there and done that would be the best to speak to. I’m looking to find everything needed, down to the brand names. Mix and match for the best quality is great!

I setup my DSC wired alarm system with evisalink, so I thought I’d do that again, if it works with the Vera setup.

I also thought I’d do all my light switches for the lights, and brand switch that seems to work extremely well? Why get outlets as z wave other than for lamps? What’s the benefit of all your power outlets being hooked up. Is there a control for the fan for variable speed? Garage door opener suggestions? Scene setup suggestions? Links to other forums with all this?

Thank you for any and all feedback!

One stop shop

brands I use are
Doorbird, Ecobee, Aeotec, Ecolink, GE, Phillips Hue, Amazon Alexa, Wemo, Harmony, ect…

If you’re starting from scratch I strongly recommend running Cat6 everywhere, wireless only when you have to, Wired when you can.
You don’t need every outlet to have zwave, but I would absolutely put at least one in every room, so they talk to each other in a chain.

I do not endorse the Vera at this time. I’m researching other systems, but I can’t spend the time to port everything atm.

Best of luck

|-<:)

Hi CDCFSU

Scan the posts in this forum and you’ll get a sense of the pro and cons of much of the home automation devices. There is a wealth of information here but be mindful of the posting date and other biases. Look at the smarthome web site: www.smarthome.com for the various hardware.

Z

[quote=“CDCFSU, post:1, topic:194153”]Hello, I am obviously new here, this is my first post.

I thought I’d ask you, having hard earned experience, if you have a shopping list for home automation given your experience with your current setup. I plan to build a home next year and I am putting together what I’d like installed. I know some brands work better than others and thought people who have been there and done that would be the best to speak to. I’m looking to find everything needed, down to the brand names. Mix and match for the best quality is great!

I setup my DSC wired alarm system with evisalink, so I thought I’d do that again, if it works with the Vera setup.

I also thought I’d do all my light switches for the lights, and brand switch that seems to work extremely well? Why get outlets as z wave other than for lamps? What’s the benefit of all your power outlets being hooked up. Is there a control for the fan for variable speed? Garage door opener suggestions? Scene setup suggestions? Links to other forums with all this?

Thank you for any and all feedback![/quote]