Old 5 software vs newer 7

I am still running the older 5 software cause I’m afraid to loose support for my many leviton z-wave dimmers and scene controllers. I also use eyezon for my security panel from dsc. I have recently added pentair equipment and would like to integrate it into vera. i also would like to update my sprinkler control with rachio.

the last 2 need 7. put I’m afraid of totally setting my house out of whack lighting wise.

can i get some info on how well 7 is now for leviton lighting?

thanks!
jim

Perhaps you can pick up a Vera Edge or Plus to run 7, and the new devices, and connect the two controllers to have the best of both worlds.

I personally recommend running UI5 for as long as humanly possible. I’m about to make a post bemoaning my decision to buy new hardware and upgrade to 7.

It’s funny how this is the norm.

I owned several VERA’s myself at one time, but now that I stand outside and look it I laugh at the all too normal solution. When you have problems with your vera, the solution is to buy an extra, more, or a newer version of vera.

Its really a great business plan actually for Vera. Why completely software fix anything when you can sale a new hardware fix every year. ;D

and I have a 5+ year old Vera Lite, working like a trooper (on UI7) over 100 devices, many of which I created or am using Arduino Plugin. It is bridged with another Vera lite, but only because I have a separate guest house (range).

I had a crapload of issues in the beginning, using several crappy plugins that wreaked havoc (remember DataMine?). Once I cleared all that out and started over using PLEG, it has been a very robust solution. UI7 on my Vera Lites works well… stable and reliable. I spend a little time now with Vera working with new automations and adding Arduino or Particle Photon devices…

Are you over using PLEG ? Or re-implemented using PLEG ?
Sorry … I am a little sensitive about this topic …

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:6, topic:196892”]Are you over using PLEG ? Or re-implemented using PLEG ?
Sorry … I am a little sensitive about this topic …[/quote]

if you meant me… I am very happily using PLEG in a very robust UI7 implementation on a 5year old Vera Lite!

ok so if I buy a new unit how does that all work? can i see both on the same dashboard or will I have 2 dashboards? I assume 2 cause each unit will have it’s own IP but how do they tie together for control? I use veramate when outside my home. so will veramate combine the 2 units into 1?

as I add lights I would just add them to the old UI5 vera and just use the new vera for say the rachio, pentair, and anything else that needs UI7?

thanks for the help!

jim

In your case, I would suggest keeping both systems seperate and using Imperihome as the tie in.

I’m running UI5 separately and like the fact that it just works, while UI7 is a bundle of real fun (?)

[quote=“jimim, post:8, topic:196892”]ok so if I buy a new unit how does that all work? can i see both on the same dashboard or will I have 2 dashboards? I assume 2 cause each unit will have it’s own IP but how do they tie together for control? I use veramate when outside my home. so will veramate combine the 2 units into 1?

as I add lights I would just add them to the old UI5 vera and just use the new vera for say the rachio, pentair, and anything else that needs UI7?

thanks for the help!

jim[/quote]

1. you can Bridge one of the units into the other. That will enable the “parent” unit to see all of the “child’s” devices. you can treat those devices like any device on the parent unit. You can try to bridge the two yourself, or contact customer support at Vera and they will help you do it. FYI if you have Plugins installed in the child, you may have to install those plugins on the parent in order to have all of the supporting files you need to present those particular devices. as you add devices to the child, they will automatically appear in the parent.

2. If you have them bridged, and set VeraMate to the Parent unit, you will see all of the devices as in (1)

3. you don’t have to bridge them to see them on VeraMate, but you will be switching between the two instances on VeraMate to control each unit separately (under Settings select Veras)