NX-592 and Simon XT

I have a z-wave module attached to my caddx alarm system which I believe is a “CADDX NX-592E-GSM-ZWAVE-AT NX” has anyone gotten this to work with a vera2? I’d really like to be able to use the system’s motion sensors to trigger events
Thanks!

I’d never heard of it till I went and searched for the module after reading your post. I don’t like your chances. What it looks like this module is is that it takes the place of the Vera, as a driver of the alarm serial interface, and tunnels this information out across a GSM connection to a monitoring company. It doesn’t look like there is anywhere to tap into this chain to get the state of the motion sensors, or the serial data stream.

I don’t know if you can connect an NX-584 to the panel at the same time as your NX-592E. I bet not, but if you’ve got access to one, it’s worth a shot. Otherwise, you might have to get more creative. How much are you willing to experiment? Apparently you can, so this might be the way to go. Credit to khyizang for checking with the manufacturer.

Thanks futzle, I was hoping for a simple integration & don’t have an NX-584, so I think I’ll just live with what I have…

Will the Wireless Sensors I have for my Simon XT (which i want to replace) show up in Vera? Which panel would I need to incorporate these wireless sensors?
Thank you,

I’ve been looking into potential migration from Simon XT, myself, so I happen to have some links handy.

The Caddx NX-548E 48-Zone Wireless Receiver Manual lists the devices that are compatible => http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/79474.pdf I found most of my Simon XT devices on that list. That board is listed as working with: NetworX NX-4, NX-6, NX-8, and NX-8E panels.

From a discussion with the folks at Safemart.com, I gather that the touch pads might not work with the NetworX panels. I’m also assuming that the GSM communicator will be a lost cause and will need to be replaced by a NX-592E-GSM (for Alarm.com monitoring). So I’m a bit worried by the concerns that the NX-584 may not work with a NX-592E-GSM installed.

Has anyone successfully setup that combo and gotten it working with Vera? That seems like a key point to clarify before considering venturing further, at least for me. I need cellular monitoring/reporting and currently use alarm.com.

I checked with the manufacturer, they say the NX-584 should work in a system with a NX-592E-GSM.

Brilliant, thanks for doing that. I’ll edit my earlier post for those who find the thread by searching.

@khyizang,
Are you using a board from the Simon XT and putting it in the NX-8E?

@big517,

I’m still in the discovery/feasibility phase of things, but, near as I can tell, nothing in the actual Simon unit will make the transfer. However, it seems like all the existing wireless door/window sensors, smoke detectors and motion sensors should be transferable - if something like the NX-548E is added to the base NX panel.

When I calculated the anticipated cost for a new NX-8 setup with a wireless sensor board, a GSM communications board, and the interface to connect to Vera, it comes out to about what was paid for all the existing wireless sensors that are currently in service in my house. The way I’m looking at this now is that it may cost me twice as much to switch to another solution that requires scrapping the existing wireless sensors in service. So my choices seem limited to a CADDX/NetworX, Concord, or an Elk panel with appropriate addons to preserve the investment in the existing wireless GE sensors. Near as I can tell, there is no Vera/Concord plugin yet. If true, the choices narrow to CADDX/NetworX or Elk.

I probably won’t be taking this project on until Fall. So I’m not currently a reliable source for implementation details. I still want to look into the Elk alternative and the existing Simon setup is adequate for what it does. It would be nice if Vera was able to receive data from my current GE motion sensors, but, to be pragmatic, I can get motion data into Vera for any room for about $30 + shipping, tax by purchasing an Intermatic CA9000 for $25 and a wall wart for about $5. Right now, I just can’t justify the cost of the switchover for what I’m currently working on.

When I get up to the level of many of you folks where I need to check for open doors and windows to adjust things such as heating/cooling, then the equation shifts in favor of doing the deed. Or, if the Mrs gets tired of having to manage two separate systems (highly likely), it may happen sooner than later. WAF always wins.

[quote=“khyizang, post:9, topic:174825”]@big517,

I’m still in the discovery/feasibility phase of things, but, near as I can tell, nothing in the actual Simon unit will make the transfer. However, it seems like all the existing wireless door/window sensors, smoke detectors and motion sensors should be transferable - if something like the NX-548E is added to the base NX panel.

When I calculated the anticipated cost for a new NX-8 setup with a wireless sensor board, a GSM communications board, and the interface to connect to Vera, it comes out to about what was paid for all the existing wireless sensors that are currently in service in my house. The way I’m looking at this now is that it may cost me twice as much to switch to another solution that requires scrapping the existing wireless sensors in service. So my choices seem limited to a CADDX/NetworX, Concord, or an Elk panel with appropriate addons to preserve the investment in the existing wireless GE sensors. Near as I can tell, there is no Vera/Concord plugin yet. If true, the choices narrow to CADDX/NetworX or Elk.

I probably won’t be taking this project on until Fall. So I’m not currently a reliable source for implementation details. I still want to look into the Elk alternative and the existing Simon setup is adequate for what it does. It would be nice if Vera was able to receive data from my current GE motion sensors, but, to be pragmatic, I can get motion data into Vera for any room for about $30 + shipping, tax by purchasing an Intermatic CA9000 for $25 and a wall wart for about $5. Right now, I just can’t justify the cost of the switchover for what I’m currently working on.

When I get up to the level of many of you folks where I need to check for open doors and windows to adjust things such as heating/cooling, then the equation shifts in favor of doing the deed. Or, if the Mrs gets tired of having to manage two separate systems (highly likely), it may happen sooner than later. WAF always wins.[/quote]

I just started down the same path. Just ditched my SimonXt (GE wireless) and bought an ELKM1Gold with the Elk Wireless option and the Ethernet Option. My hope is that i can use the GE wireless sensors/smoke detectors/motion detectors (they are the 319.5 mhz crystal) with the ELK wireless (says it will support them) then use the ELK plugin and interface over ethernet to my Vera.

@aschwalb,

Thanks for sharing your decision. What conditions/features prompted you to choose the Elk panel over the other options? Having blundered into the Simon purchase due to insufficient knowledge, I’m determined to not make that mistake twice. So any points to consider that you may have discovered will be greatly appreciated!

[quote=“khyizang, post:11, topic:174825”]@aschwalb,

Thanks for sharing your decision. What conditions/features prompted you to choose the Elk panel over the other options? Having blundered into the Simon purchase due to insufficient knowledge, I’m determined to not make that mistake twice. So any points to consider that you may have discovered will be greatly appreciated![/quote]

A couple of high level things… 1) the Elk seemed to have more connectivity options since the Gold platform can take a variety of different sensors and is a home automation panel as well. 2) I liked the ability to interface via ethernet versus serial for the option to locate this panel in a different area than Vera. 3) I liked the control panel options better (better looking) [url=http://www.smarthome.com/128302/Elk-Products-M1KPNAV-3-5-inch-Navigator-LCD-Touchscreen/p.aspx]http://www.smarthome.com/128302/Elk-Products-M1KPNAV-3-5-inch-Navigator-LCD-Touchscreen/p.aspx[/url] 4) support for my existing GE Crystal wireless (realizing that the NX does as well but the elk will use the NX board or their board (I went with ELK since I didn’t need SAW support though)).

@aschwalb,
Have you installed it yet? I’m just wondering how it all went and if your happy with the integration.

I have another question also. You said the Elk is a home automation board in itself, what do you expect to do with this beyond monitoring sensors as a regular alarm panel?

Thanks

[quote=“big517, post:13, topic:174825”]@aschwalb,
Have you installed it yet? I’m just wondering how it all went and if your happy with the integration.

I have another question also. You said the Elk is a home automation board in itself, what do you expect to do with this beyond monitoring sensors as a regular alarm panel?

Thanks

2[/quote]

Just got it yesterday… Will be next weekend before I can get it installed. As to the functionality not sure yet. Just like to know I have options.

I’m digging this thread up from the grave…

I have been looking for a while and have been unable to find an answer related to this thread. I have a Frontpoint IQ Panel 2 that is the replacement to the old Simon XT. I have a bunch of the 319.5 MHz transmitters in the house, but zero wired. If I want to be able to receive the notifications from the wireless transmitters on my Vera Plus, must I get both a NX-8, NX-583, etc Panel and the wireless receiver extension? I have not been able to find any thing about whether there is a way to use just the wireless receiver (keypad or not) with the Vera plugin. There are other devices, like the ELK-M1XRFEG and Hai 42A00‑2 GE that look similar…but, the same question remains. Anyone out there know?

Essentially, I am trying to discover the minimum equipment required to use the 319.5 MHz transmitters with a Vera Plus.

The plugin speaks the Caddx NX-series serial protocol. Whatever it talks to has to speak the same protocol. I looked up the Frontpoint IQ 2 and it does not do that.