Noob needs help in setting up HA07/HA03 with Vera

Newb to Vera and have a couple of HA03 that I am trying to control thru Vera/HA07. I have Vera 2 with UI4.
I have successfully set up the HA07 as the secondary controller. Followed the procedure listed at [url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes[/url] and the remote shows up in Vera menu as a controller

Need detailed instructions on how to set up scenes on this remote. This remote has “ON”/“OFF” buttons or channels labeled 1-12.
Basically what I want is when I press the channel 1 “ON” button, the assigned HA03 should switch ON. When I press the channel 1 “OFF” button the assigned HA03 should switch OFF. I tried adding an event in Vera for this in one of the HA03 setup menu, but came across some issues. One issue is that every channel in HA07 has 2 buttons - one for On and one for Off. So the 12 channels on the remote has 24 buttons. I can assign an event to one of the buttons, say the ON button on channel 1 to switch on one of the HA03 modules. The issue is how do I switch off this modules using the HA07; or in other words how do I assign the OFF button on the HA07 on channel 1 (since Vera has already assigned the ON command to the channel 1)?
Without assigning any events on the HA03 menu’s, the HA07 can control both the HA03’s but after successfully completing the command, the Vera menu doesn’t update with the status of the module till the next poll of the node (which is every 60 sec or so). Therefore even if one of the HA03 modules is turned on using the HA07 remote, the Vera site shows it as OFF untill it is refreshed in the next node poll after 60 secs. It would be very helpful if someone could take the time to write down “idiotproof” instructions for noobs like me ;D…and yes I spent a LOT of time reading thru the posts and wiki to try and resolve this. This post is my last resort before I give up.
Sorry for the lengthy post, hopefully I made this issue clearer than mud. ??? ??? TIA…

I realize that there are several conflicting suggestions out there on how to utilize these devices. In truth, I think there is more than one way to do it, but here is how I’m using my remotes (both HA07 and HA09) to control Intermatic, and other branded devices.

• Setup a scene that turns on (don’t worry about off for now) all of the devices you want to be controlled by a single set of on/off buttons on the remotes. Even if this is only going to be one light, you still need the scene.
  • Assign an event to the new scene that uses the “a scene is activated” type, and the “scene number” will be the button number that you would like to use on your remote.
    (Example-- Device: HA07, Scene event: “A Scene is Activated”, Scene Number: 1 (for button one))
  • Save your scene
  • (this is important) Re-Add your HA07 device as though it were new. Follow the same steps to include it as you did originally, Vera will find the “existing device” and re-configure the scene associations on it.

You should now be able to use button 1 ON to turn on the devices setup in your scene commands, and pressing button 1 OFF should turn them off as well.

I got myself into trouble when I first started using the HA07/09 because I thought I also needed to explicitly assign the button 1 OFF (via “a scene is deactivated” action) to get this to turn off. You can do this by assigning this button to another scene that turns things off I believe, but it isn’t necessary. Simply following the instructions above should get you to where you need to be…

I hope this helps!

Cool…thanks for the reply.
Although I did follow these exact steps and was able to turn on the HA03 module with the ON button on the remote, but was not able to turn it off with the OFF button on Channel 1 of the HA07.
But if this is working for you then I guess I might be doing something wrong. I will do another factory reset of the HA07 and try again. Here are the steps I should take per what I have gathered so far:

1. Delete all the scenes and events from the HA03 modules in Vera setup

2. Delete the HA07 controller from the Vera setup and perform a factory reset on the remote

3. Set up the HA07 with the time etc but do not assign it to the network and do not associate it with any of the HA03 modules

4. In Vera, add the HA07 controller and assign it to the same room as the existing HA03 modules

5. Go into the settings of the HA07 in Vera and add a scene with the command to turn ON the HA03

6. From the drop down option select the HA07 scene controller and assign an event to this scene using the settings you mention in your 2nd step

7. Save and add the HA07 again within Vera - ok this step requires a bit more detail as it could mean 2 different steps. a) I am guessing I am supposed to add the controller again using step 4. above i.e using Add Z-wave device—handheld remote controller or am I supposed to b) press and hold the include button for a few seconds until it says Copy and then press the 1 OFF button??? ???. Not to act like a moron with this supposedly simple step, I guess I could try it both ways but sure would help if someone could clarify in the interest of time

8. Unless I screwed up again someplace, life should be good at this point.

I shall try this again tonight as soon as I get back home. Oh…and one last thing on the HA07…how do I control all my HA03 modules with the ALL On/ALL Off buttons at the top of the HA07? How do I set those up similar to the 1-12 channel buttons?

Again…TIA and appreciate all the help.

In my experience the All On/All Off buttons just work for all scene capable devices that Vera knows about, once it is successfully configured. I never set those up, but on my HA07 that lives in my bedside drawer, pressing all on turns every damn light in the house on. This is a nice feature though I would actually prefer it if those buttons were configurable so that I could create my own “all on” and “all off” scenes that might not use quite as wide of a brush.

Anyway…

Your steps look pretty much correct to me, though I have a few comments:

*You don’t need to configure the device to be in any specific “room” as far as I know as you mention in step 4.
*Also in step 5, I’m not sure I follow you. Instead of going into the settings of the HA07 to add the scene, I go into the scene’s “events” tab, and add the event of the button press from there. In my vera firmware, I don’t have the option to add scenes from the device config area, but perhaps I am missing something.

• For re-adding the controller, I take the controller to near the Vera, use the “Add one” controller option under the z-wave devices section, and then follow the sequence you mentioned of Holding Include, waiting for “copy”, hitting 1 Off.

If the last step as I have described is not how you have done it previously, I’d suggest trying that before removing everything and starting over. Otherwise, it can’t hurt to start from scratch.

Don’t worry, these little devices are pretty confusing to setup. I scratched my head quite a bit before I got mine working, but I’m happy report that they work very well now.

Thanks again fall-line.
I guess I mis-represented step 5. I should be adding a scene and then adding an event to this newly created scene.

BTW, I think you should be able to configure the All ON/All OFF buttons at the top of the HA07 to turn specific modules on or off. I forget the steps I took but the instructions are pretty much on the booklet that came with the HA07. The only downside would be that Vera is not controlling those commands and will not update its status untill its next poll to those devices. If you want I can list the specific steps to do this once I get home.

Ah, That makes sense. Good to know, but I’m happy with my setup for now. I actually have a scene created that turns my all night lights back on should I even hit the “all off” button, which really does turn everything off.

Others may find it useful, but if it’s clearly documented in the included instructions (which I, you know, didn’t read) then that should be fine.

Wow, thanks (even though I didn’t ask) for the walk through. I was having trouble with mine and I had kinda forgotten about them until I read this at work today. Followed these directions and got one programmed perfectly first try.

I recently re-done all my HA07/HA09 on UI4 with no issues.
Just follow the instructions and re-add your controller at the end

The water gets a bit murkier. I managed to get the HA07 to control all the modules, but in the process I confused myself a bit. Here is what is happening -

• I press Channel 1 ON button on the HA07 and the lamp module turns on. The vera UI4 menu instantly updates the status of the lamp modules as ON…yay!! The scene associated with that module shows the green highlight and says the transmit was OK. Good…nice and dandy so far.

• I press the Channel 1 OFF button on the HA07 and the lamp module turns off. But looking at the Vera menu, the status for the module still shows up as ON till about another 60 seconds until it polls that node again and realizes that the module is in fact off. I do not get the green transmit is ok message either.
    So the issue is that pressing the Channel ON button on the HA07 instantly updates the status on the Vera menu, but pressing the Channel OFF button does not update the status instantly. Seems like the OFF command is not going through Vera. Not a huge issue, but I want to understand why this is happening.

Why do we need to go through all these steps of creating a scene and adding events when the same can be done using the HA07 directly with the modules. Granted I am only trying the simple step of turning on/off a single module. Maybe having Vera control the individual modules is helpful for complex sequence of events?

BTW, here are the updated instructions for other noobs like me specifically for HA07/HA03 combo…
The way I understand it so far, there are two ways of controlling your lamp modules (eg. HA03) with the HA07 remote.
Ensure that each module you are trying to control is already set up in vera and recognized as a dimmable light. Also make sure that the HA07 is setup as a secondary controller.

OPTION 1:
Control the modules directly with the remote by assigning each module to a specific channel -

You do this by simultaneously pressing both the On and OFF buttons of the desired channel. When the display shows “LEARN” then press and hold the “Include” button and press the program button on the associated module. The display now shows successful and you should be able to control the module with the remote.
Downside to this method is the vera menu will only show the updated status of the modules after it polls that node after the default interval.

OPTION 2:
Control the modules with the remote but using vera to send the commands -

• Create a new scene by clicking the icon at the top of the menu. You can rename this scene and assign a room if you like
  • Under the Commands tab, from the drop down menu select the room where the modules are located that you are trying to control and select the action you are trying to perform.
  • Under the Events tab, from the drop down menu select your controller as the device and the trigger event is when a scene is activated.
  • Name this event to whatever you want and for scene number enter the channel number that you are trying to program.
  • Close and save this scene.
  • Now take your HA07 very close to Vera (about 3 ft or less)
  • From the add remove device menu click on add a battery operated handheld remote
  • The vera z-wave light should start to blink and it is now waiting for the controller to be added.
  • Press and hold the “Include” button on the HA07 and COPY will start flashing on the menu.
  • Release the Include button and now press the Channel 1 OFF button on the HA07…COPY RA will start flashing and will display “Successful”. Also the vera status menu will say it added the controller.
  • At this point your scene config has been transferred to the HA07 and you should be able to control the module that you assigned for the channel buttons.

Downside with this method is that you have to go through all these steps even though you can accomplish all this with Option 1 above. The Vera menu also gets cluttered since you not only have the lamp module show up there, but you also have the scene for each of those modules. Even though the Vera status gets updated when you press the Channel ON button, it does not update when you press the Channel OFF button.

Anyone who is more knowledgeable can chime in and update this procedure. Hopefully this helps someone.

what you describe is normal function, vera runs a scene only to the “on” buttons, not the off buttons, that is why it takes a while to get updated status when you use the off buttons. There is no such thing as a “reverse scene”, in other words there is no automated “reverse everything done in scene X” which makes sense due to the many variables possible in a scene. when you use the “off” button on your remote the remote itself is acting as a secondary controller to turn your switch directly so Vera doesn’t know what happened until she polls again as you said, that being said the remote can only control “scene aware” devices so for example say I have remote button 1 “on” turn on several lights and arm my motion sensors when I press 1 “off” the lights will go out but the sensors will not disarm since they are not scene aware, I have to use another “on” button (ex: 2 on) to run a different scene disarming my motion sensors, if i add the lights out commands here Vera will run them (as well as the remote) and the status will be updated in real time

Thanks for the clarification pgrover. This makes sense now.

You know you can tell the individual modules whether to respond to the HA07’s “all on” or “all off”. Just follow the steps outlined in the HA07 manual. I found that I only had to do the action once, and the module would respond (or not respond) to all of my HA07’s “all on/all off” buttons.

I beleive that the HA07 uses a special Zwave command to turn all on/off, so Vera itself is unaffected.

[quote=“fall-line, post:2, topic:166823”]I realize that there are several conflicting suggestions out there on how to utilize these devices. In truth, I think there is more than one way to do it, but here is how I’m using my remotes (both HA07 and HA09) to control Intermatic, and other branded devices.

• Setup a scene that turns on (don’t worry about off for now) all of the devices you want to be controlled by a single set of on/off buttons on the remotes. Even if this is only going to be one light, you still need the scene.
  • Assign an event to the new scene that uses the “a scene is activated” type, and the “scene number” will be the button number that you would like to use on your remote.
    (Example-- Device: HA07, Scene event: “A Scene is Activated”, Scene Number: 1 (for button one))
  • Save your scene
  • (this is important) Re-Add your HA07 device as though it were new. Follow the same steps to include it as you did originally, Vera will find the “existing device” and re-configure the scene associations on it.

You should now be able to use button 1 ON to turn on the devices setup in your scene commands, and pressing button 1 OFF should turn them off as well.

I got myself into trouble when I first started using the HA07/09 because I thought I also needed to explicitly assign the button 1 OFF (via “a scene is deactivated” action) to get this to turn off. You can do this by assigning this button to another scene that turns things off I believe, but it isn’t necessary. Simply following the instructions above should get you to where you need to be…

I hope this helps![/quote]

fall-line, i am really impressed with your know-how. i was getting frustrated at the beginning; then i looked back at your instruction and found out that i have to re-add the HA07 as if it wasnt added. and that’s it, now when i pressed #1 button on the HA07, the two HA03 turn on and turn off when i pressed the #1 off button. thanks for your post. hats off to you. that’s so smart. i dont have anything to share because i am also a newB. thanks again. we need people like in this forum

[quote=“akashk, post:10, topic:166823”]BTW, here are the updated instructions for other noobs like me specifically for HA07/HA03 combo…
The way I understand it so far, there are two ways of controlling your lamp modules (eg. HA03) with the HA07 remote.
Ensure that each module you are trying to control is already set up in vera and recognized as a dimmable light. Also make sure that the HA07 is setup as a secondary controller.

OPTION 1:
Control the modules directly with the remote by assigning each module to a specific channel -

You do this by simultaneously pressing both the On and OFF buttons of the desired channel. When the display shows “LEARN” then press and hold the “Include” button and press the program button on the associated module. The display now shows successful and you should be able to control the module with the remote.
Downside to this method is the vera menu will only show the updated status of the modules after it polls that node after the default interval.

OPTION 2:
Control the modules with the remote but using vera to send the commands -

• Create a new scene by clicking the icon at the top of the menu. You can rename this scene and assign a room if you like
  • Under the Commands tab, from the drop down menu select the room where the modules are located that you are trying to control and select the action you are trying to perform.
  • Under the Events tab, from the drop down menu select your controller as the device and the trigger event is when a scene is activated.
  • Name this event to whatever you want and for scene number enter the channel number that you are trying to program.
  • Close and save this scene.
  • Now take your HA07 very close to Vera (about 3 ft or less)
  • From the add remove device menu click on add a battery operated handheld remote
  • The vera z-wave light should start to blink and it is now waiting for the controller to be added.
  • Press and hold the “Include” button on the HA07 and COPY will start flashing on the menu.
  • Release the Include button and now press the Channel 1 OFF button on the HA07…COPY RA will start flashing and will display “Successful”. Also the vera status menu will say it added the controller.
  • At this point your scene config has been transferred to the HA07 and you should be able to control the module that you assigned for the channel buttons.

Downside with this method is that you have to go through all these steps even though you can accomplish all this with Option 1 above. The Vera menu also gets cluttered since you not only have the lamp module show up there, but you also have the scene for each of those modules. Even though the Vera status gets updated when you press the Channel ON button, it does not update when you press the Channel OFF button.

Anyone who is more knowledgeable can chime in and update this procedure. Hopefully this helps someone.[/quote]

OPTION 1 is much simpler than OPTION 2 and will only work if the module (HA03) has not been paired yet with vera. you can remove the module and do option 1. however if you do this, you can only turn HA03 on/off locally with HA07 and not remotely. i like to fool around with my 2 HA03 lamp modules when i am away from home through my iphone. just my 2 cents. thanks.

renato, you should still be able to control your modules remotely with Option1 as long as your HA07 is setup as a “secondary” controller and Vera is the primary controller. Just make sure you pair the modules with Vera and follow Option1 (I am currently doing this & controlling remotely via iVera)

oh ok akashk; that’s good to know. i will do OPTION 1 with my HA05 screw-in module and HA04 outdoor light module that i have not paired with vera yet. you are correct that vera gets cluttered with the additional scenes which could have been avoided with OPTION 1. BTW, do you or anybody, know how to create a scene on HA07 so that i can arm/disarm the ZIR000 motion sensor. currently, i do this with my iphone (or pc), which is a little tedious. it will be easier if i can just press the “on” button on HA07 to arm the motion sensor and “off” to bypass. thanks.

When using option 2, what actually happens is that Vera programs the HA07 to control what the HA07 is capable of controlling (such as lights). So when you press the on or off on the HA07, the HA07 will send the proper commands to the lights to turn on or off. Vera will also receive the HA07 command, and if there are actions in the corresponding Vera scene that the HA07 cannot control (such as the thermostat), Vera will then perform those scene actions.

What actually happens is that Vera programs the HA07 to send a dimmer light command back to Vera (Vera pretends to be a dimmable light). So if you push channel 1, the HA07 will send a 10% light on command to Vera. By the light on percentage, Vera can figure out which button was pushed, and run the correct scene. The problem is with the light off command. Vera receives a command from the HA07 to turn off. Unfortunately, Vera has no way of knowing which off button was pushed on the HA07. You can create a scene in Vera that will respond to the off buttons on the HA07, but you cannot determine which off button was pushed. For this reason, most are forced to use two on buttons on the HA07 (when controlling something that requires Vera), one to set, and the other to reset. Another option (if you are familiar with LUA programming) is to get clever with the LUA scene code.

Another oddity to be aware of: Vera does not respond to the HA07’s channels 10, 11 or 12. You can program these three buttons to control lights (again by using option 2), but do not put anything in those scenes that requires Vera itself to perform.

I’m having trouble with the HA07 as well, but I think this should be an easier question. I’m following the same wiki article (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes) and everything goes fine up until step 5 which reads

“After you assigned the scene controller to a room, click the + button next to the scene controller on the devices tab in Vera’s setup site. Check the box “Treat scene buttons as events”.”

I see the scene controller device in the device list but I don’t see this + button or “Treat scene buttons as events” checkbox anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I’m supposed to look?

[quote=“Ferr, post:19, topic:166823”]I’m having trouble with the HA07 as well, but I think this should be an easier question. I’m following the same wiki article (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes) and everything goes fine up until step 5 which reads

“After you assigned the scene controller to a room, click the + button next to the scene controller on the devices tab in Vera’s setup site. Check the box “Treat scene buttons as events”.”

I see the scene controller device in the device list but I don’t see this + button or “Treat scene buttons as events” checkbox anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I’m supposed to look?[/quote]
If I am remembering correctly this checkoff is not needed and doesnt exist in UI4