No ZWAVE Dongle detected in Mios

If its a new Vera and you’ve not set up any (or many) devices yet then you should try to do a factory reset as this fixed it for others in this thread.

I walked around the house using a really long extension cord and Cat5 cable. Full power included devices in my house. 8)

Staying away from using the battery seems to prevent any issues.

I believe that the battery is at fault here. Looking at the specs, the battery can deliver 300mA? Is 300mA enough? The A/C power supply is rated at 1A delivery.

I would recommend to everyone to avoid using the battery and run around with a stupid extension cord and use Full power inclusion until micasaverde Pins the Tail on the Donkey.

Or if you still have it, put your old V1 to use as a Wifi bridge :slight_smile:

I just got the same error “No ZWave dongle” a few days ago. I also have the new Vera2 and the latest Firmware mentioned above. Once the Christmas rush and is over, I’ll try to find time to do the factory reset that was also mentioned above. Until, then… I’ll just have to live with a bricked Vera2. :cry:

Try hitting the “Save” button in the top right corner of the dashboard.
You’ll see “Server busy” and then the No Z-Wave Dongle message should clear.
If not, try it again.

JOD.

Wow, I got hit with this today on one of my Vera2’s. Lost all z-wave functionality plus X-10 control. Just happened by itself after doing a power reboot. The only thing that worked for me was to reload the UI4 firmware (to factory defaults). None of the other suggestions listed here worked, not even doing a factory reset. After reloading the firmware, I restored a previously saved backup and all seems well, but it took a few hours to figure this all out - not fun.

Did you try just hitting the “Save” button? Its my understand this error is caused by Vera shutting down the internal systems to prevent her from locking up.
Hitting save restarts the engine, It may not work first try but keep trying, it has worked for me in every instance I got the message. And in the last year was almost every day.

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:27, topic:166563”]Did you try just hitting the “Save” button? Its my understand this error is caused by Vera shutting down the internal systems to prevent her from locking up.
Hitting save restarts the engine, I may not work first try but keep trying, it has worked for me in every instance I got the message. And in the last year was almost every day.

JOD.[/quote]

I tried that 4 or 5 times with no joy. Not sure if doing it more than that would have given me a different result. What is the most number of times you had to hit Save before the “No Zwave Dongle” error message cleared?

@yovinman,

One day this week I hit save over and over for 3 hrs straight before Z-Wave came back online, this error was one of a handful of major issues MCV has been working on recently.
One thing I am not sure about in your post is that you lost X-10 at the same time, Z-Wave and X-10 are seperate systems and losing the Z-Wave for whatever reason should still have left you with a functional Insteon / X-10 network. So maybe something else was going on at the same time
Atleast you are back online.

JOD.

Thanks JOD,

Yeah, something strange is still going on. I have since discovered that my X-10 is not working reliably at all. It is like that part of the interface is frozen. Scenes involving X-10 are not working and I have no control of the X-10 devices. If I reboot the Vera2, X-10 sort of comes back for a short period of time and then gets frozen again. Very frustrating considering everything was working great until the “No Zwave Dongle” error appeared. I’m probably going to nuke everything today and start from scratch since this is small Z-wave/X-10 network and being it is my vacation cabin and I’m here now and I don’t want to leave with things in its current state.

One thing to note about the X-10 if it was working before. Have you plugged something new into an outlet recently, ups, laptop, power strip, anythng with a transformer?
Try removing things from the outlets, double check the X-10 if it starts working again plug things back in one at a time to isolate the offending device.

JOD.

Good tip JOD, but nothing new has been plugged in. I ended up rebuilding the network and things are working as expected. Scenes with X-10 are working again. Keeping my fingers crossed that things stay stable after I leave.

ok, it’s been about 7 months since I last posted about my bricked Vera2 saying “NO ZWave Dongle Detected”

I honestly didn’t care to fix it so I just ran without Vera2 for a long time.

Now, I’m ready to have a home automation system again and have tried all the sugestions above but still no luck. I just sent in a ticket so I hope to have this fixed soon.

anyone else able to fix this problem?

A few of us ran into a “No-ZWave Dongle” error when we updated to 1.1.1245. Reverting back to the previous version (I think 1.1.1047) and re-upgrading to 1.1.1245 solved it in my case.

I tried that but didn’t work.

… But, Micasaverde fixed my system via remote management. Thank you Micasaverde!

How long did they take to sort your No Zwave Dongle issue out for you? It came up on one of my Vera on 31 August just 5 minutes before I was about to leave the property for 11 months, which was not great timing! I asked MiCasaVerde for support near the start of September (the first time ever) and they asked me to enable remote access which I did. A few days later I emailed again to make sure they got my email with the remote access details and they said they never got it, so I pointed out it was lower in the email and since then I have had nothing but silence although I have emailed a couple of times to make sure the issue is still in hand.

Sort of irritating, especially when you think that I don’t know if my other 2 Veras might go the same way over the coming months as well!