No longer in Google Play: Android Device Monitor with AutoVera

Complete Installation Guide
[url=http://guide.dkcautomation.com/Wiki/Android_Device_Monitor_with_AutoVera]http://guide.dkcautomation.com/Wiki/Android_Device_Monitor_with_AutoVera[/url]

Direct Download
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65414242/Android_Device_Monitor.55.apk

Android Device Monitor with AutoVera makes it easy to add your Android devices to your Vera dashboard and integrate Android system values with your automation logic. After minimal configuration, you can “set it and forget it”. Android Device Monitor can be installed on all of your family members devices so you can easily integrate home/away logic and receive alerts when someone’s battery level is getting low.

This extension relies on the Variable Container and Virtual Switch plugins from forum member, chixxi. Thank you, chixxi, for such wonderful contributions to the Vera platform.

Note: Requires AutoVera to be installed and configured on each Android device running Android Device Monitor.

Any questions or issues can be addressed in this thread, thanks for exploring!

Just installed this. The Installation guide is brilliant, it was extremely easy to install and works fantastic !!! This is a brilliant app.
Just one comment. I would like to use a multi switch instead of a virtual switch for the updates, if that is possible I have not yet worked it out… I would also like to use multi switches in tasker, at the moment I can specify a multi switch, but not which one of the 8 switches. Again, it might be possible but I have not worked out how.

wow!

Again, it might be possible but I have not worked out how.

Until the Multiswitch is fully supported with Status Updates, it wont be easy. What you could do in the meantime is create a Virtual Switch for each Multiswitch. The Multiswitch would trip the Virtual Switch which would send a status update to Vera, effectively giving you the same control, but with a few shortcomings. You’d need to create a reset to coincide with with Multiswitch status and it’s already cumbersome enough. The radio and toggle options will be less effective as well.

You should, however, look forward to MultiSwitch AutoVera Status Updates in the near future.

I am using one of the virtual switches for my Android phone and its working fine. I also have a Android tablet, and just installed the Android Device Monitor on it, and installed another variable container on my Vera. But on the tablets Android device monitor i cannot choose that new variable device container, it does not show up. I have uninstalled the ADM, reinstalled, no success.

If a device doesn’t appear when you know it should, jus go to Your Veras>Devices and click the refresh icon. Check the list of devices and confirm your variable container now appears.

I tried that but it did not work. After a few times refreshing everything it has now appeared, and is working fine.

I Just installed this app , and the status nicely updates on vera … thanks for this app.

A question , I would like to start a scene when the variable container goes to away … But how do I do that , attached a screenshot . What am I doing wrong, since the scene doesn’t trigger when the status changes from home to away.

Many thanks,
Cor

I did exactly the same,andnow it works …

Cor

I destroyed my Samsung S4 today , quickly got myself a S5

I wanted to use thesame virtualswitch and variable container.
Deleted the broken S4 on the autovera tab of the vera.

Installed autovera on the S5 , updated and set the favourite.
installed the APK app,set up the SSID variable container and virtual switch.

When I do an update via the virtual switch it works fine.

Previously (on the S4) when I switched off wifi, 10 seconds later the status went to “away” , now on the S5 , nothing hapends automatically.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks,
Cor

Having been an AutoVera user from beta installed this today and it was easy, install guide is brilliantly done, thanks.

Only problem i have is that is insists on showing my status as “away” despite the fact that I’m sitting next to the Vera :slight_smile:

Mine occasionally shows away even though when i’m at home. It is my WiFi, I sometimes get logged out for a few mins no idea why.

I have yet to find a reliable solution to location for Android. I use Vera Proximity and it works fine for my wife’s phone (this week) but it Never shows me away from the house. Yet at the same time I can be sitting at home and it will flip back and forth Home and Away every other second when we a thunderstorm approaching the wireless cells keep switching due to the storm.

Now this “solution” that also appears not to work properly.

The iPhone locator is the only thing out there that seems to work all the time. My daughter has an iPhone and the Locator plugin hasn’t failed in about a year since installed it. The only good thing about iPhone :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I use the autolocation plugin for tasker, and find it work very well and quite reliable. Worth looking into especially if you use tasker anyway

I second using AutoLocation for geolocation. I’m in the midst of build a Location Monitor with a similar setup to Device Monitor, that relies on AutoLocation geofences and activity tracking.

Clipper,

Can you ensure you are entering your SSID exactly as it appears, also paying attention to case sensitivity? If your current network and SSID match, the value should change to home from away.

Cor,

I suppose it’s possible that in the S5 (and potentially other models) that the Android system does not clear the last known network name after disconnecting, I’ll have to look in to it.

Did you guys stumble across the Google Play link or are you using the APK from this post?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidkc.avdm

[quote=“dkc, post:15, topic:181798”]I second using AutoLocation for geolocation. I’m in the midst of build a Location Monitor with a similar setup to Device Monitor, that relies on AutoLocation geofences and activity tracking.

Clipper,

Can you ensure you are entering your SSID exactly as it appears, also paying attention to case sensitivity? If your current network and SSID match, the value should change to home from away.

Cor,

I suppose it’s possible that in the S5 (and potentially other models) that the Android system does not clear the last known network name after disconnecting, I’ll have to look in to it.

Did you guys stumble across the Google Play link or are you using the APK from this post?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidkc.avdm[/quote]

I have removed and re entered the SSID several times on both my wife’s phone and mine, both always show away . FYI both are Galaxy S5.

Clipper,

If you open Tasker, go to State, Net, WiFi Connected, and click the magnifying glass, do you see your network there among the others? I’m thinking Samsung modified something regarding WiFi naming, I’ll have to find an alternate way get the network name. Do you know if any of the your system variables show your Wifi network name?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the trouble

[quote=“dkc, post:17, topic:181798”]Clipper,

If you open Tasker, go to State, Net, WiFi Connected, and click the magnifying glass, do you see your network there among the others? I’m thinking Samsung modified something regarding WiFi naming, I’ll have to find an alternate way get the network name. Do you know if any of the your system variables show your Wifi network name?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the trouble[/quote]

Mea Culpa. For some reason I read SSID and kept inputting the WiFi Password. Don’t ask me why :slight_smile:

I have three access points in the house all with different SSIDs so don’t think this solution going work for me anyway. That and I often keep the Wi-Fi on the phone off to conserve battery so that’s two strikes :-). I guess I’m going to have to keep looking for a location solution.

Thanks and again my apologies for confusing the situation.

[quote=“dkc, post:15, topic:181798”]Did you guys stumble across the Google Play link or are you using the APK from this post?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidkc.avdm[/quote]

I used the apk from this post , should I use another one?

Cor

The app has been released to Google Play, the current version replaces Cell with device Volume level. Other than that, there isn’t much different. Any updates and additions to the app will be provided via Google Play, so that may be an incentive to migrate. Installing from Google Play should simply offer an update.

Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidkc.avdm