Newbie stuff

Hi all,

Have been looking for an integrated home automation for some time.
LinuxMCE seemed to be the nearest but then stumbled across Micasaverde ;D

So a few questions! (forgive noobness :P)

1. As an example could I: control a squeeze plug player from the verde iphone app such that feedback (track playing, artist list etc.) is visible on the iphone? (I ask this as in the free ios download I see no integration for this)

2. Assuming 1) is possible. Can I have have it that when a track ends and no other action happens on that squeezeplug (assume and of album) a z-wave request is made to turn the amp off. Equally when a track is selected to play a z-wave request will turn the amp on.

I like Verde because it allows scripting while LinuxMCE is dead against it - I assume this is where all the flexibility lies !

Equally; using my ios device via Verde as a remote control for av equipment I see no option for this in the free download. Do you design online the ‘layout’ (like irule) and then ‘sync’ with the ios device??

What I am looking for is complete home automation, universal remote, squeezeplug controller and indeed anything else I require within one device/app.

Any advice welcome!

thanks

@pocster,

Welcome!

For clarity, are you referring to the iVera app? (If so, note that it is a 3rd party app, that hasn’t been updated in quite a while.)

Hi oTi,

Yes! - is there another iOS app I should be looking at???
As you can tell I am on the edge of purchasing a system so want to know if it’s suitable for me needs!! ::slight_smile:

Cheers

I guess I should ask (to avoid confusion!).

If I install the squeeze plug app on ivera does the iOS device simply ‘gain’ that functionality? i.e. it syncs with ivera and then the iphone offers squeezeplug control with the touch screen? i.e. lists of albums; track position, volume etc. etc. etc.??

thanks!

[quote=“pocster, post:4, topic:174187”]I guess I should ask (to avoid confusion!).

If I install the squeeze plug app on ivera does the iOS device simply ‘gain’ that functionality? i.e. it syncs with ivera and then the iphone offers squeezeplug control with the touch screen? i.e. lists of albums; track position, volume etc. etc. etc.??

thanks![/quote]

No it will not turn your ios device into a full remote control for your squeezebox. This is best for a dedicated app like ipeng, etc. The squeezebox plugin for vera will allow for certain controls of the squeezebox via scenes in vera.

• Garrett

Hi,

Thanks for that.
So the only way to have a fully integrated single app on a remote device (iphone, android etc.) is to access the verde via a web page on the remote device?.
Is this practical?. What I don’t want is an app for spueezeplug , an app to control the tv, an app for home automation, an app for cctv etc. etc. (I know verde can do some of these within itself).
I was looking for just 1 integrated app that allows all functionality on a remote device. I am just assuming a web based approach gives the flexibility but will be too slow for using…

Cheers

Hello,

You could probably achieve an amount of control via your Vera for HA, Squeezeplug, cctv and other devices.
You would need to check on device available through third party apps such iRule, Roomie Remote, SQ Remote, Open Remote and others available.

I have iDevices so what I use is based on the that limitation…
I use iRule for my AV and only limited Vera stuff (I will get back to this).
I used HomeWave for Vera (including limited cctv)
I also have Automator and SQ Remote but I tend not to use them as much now.
I also dedicate cctv and security apps

My wife and I find it easier to jump between dedicate app for specific devices such as Sonos and iTunes, Vera etc rather than just having one app to do all which is also one app to fail on all. That is why we don’t have everything in iRule.

Thanks.
Hmmmmmmmm, just assumed the 1 app does all approach was ‘neater’.
I currently have irule for a/v control and it’s ok - but sometimes doesn’t find my router so can be frustrating!
Also have the squeezebox free iOS app that seems pretty good.
So potentially will have some Verde app (of some sort).
Just seems a lot of apps :-)))

Understand your logic though.

I did look at LinuxMCE - but felt the support was lacking (after all it’s a project not a product as they say). I am a software engineer so programming not an issue (though not done any Lua/Luup/Python etc.).

I guess I have to take your approach initially and ‘try’ each app…

Cheers!

It would be very hard to find an app to do it all. Since everyones needs are very different, it will be hard to find that all in one app. I would rather have each app succeed at doing one thing best, than to have it fail at all of them.

• Garrett