Newbie question

Sorry to ask this question I have searched everywhere.
I am looking to replace some switches in my home. I would like to know if I manually turn a light off with the switch am I able yo turn the light back on with vera? I only have experience with the screw in lamp modules and if you flip the switch on those you obviously lose control from Vera.
Also what is the best standard z-wave switches to buy?
Thanks for any help!

If you can identify the country that you are in and the switches you are thinking of using then we could provide a more concrete answer.

In general, if you replace the physical switch with a Z-Wave switch then you are good, because there is no extra mechanical switch outside the Z-Wave network to mess with things.

To repeat advice given to everyone: consider buying switches that report their status to Vera instantly when they are used. They are more expensive but are more useful for automation. Which brands have this feature depends on the country you are in.

I am in the US. Thanks for the info. I was hoping that was the answer. My wife will want to be able to switch on and off the lights manually from the switch but I would like to use my phone and setup scenes. What brand/kind do you recommend?

I am not in the US so I cannot recommend brands that you can buy. Hopefully some other users will be able to chime in.

the leviton and cooper z wave switches support instant status, but any zwave switch will have local control that you are wanting.
I have the levitons and they work good, I also have a couple of the GE switches in my shop, not as well built as the leviton switches. amazon usualy has the best prices

Awesome thanks for all the help!

[quote=“SteveZ, post:5, topic:174668”]the leviton and cooper z wave switches support instant status, but any zwave switch will have local control that you are wanting.
I have the levitons and they work good, I also have a couple of the GE switches in my shop, not as well built as the leviton switches. amazon usualy has the best prices[/quote]

I have all three so here is my take on them. The Leviton and Cooper are far superior construction than the GE, but you pay for quality. I have a couple of Cooper switches and a bunch of receptacles I got on clearance and would use them for the whole house if I won the lottery (they make the Leviton’s look inexpensive!). For me it came down to Leviton vs. GE. Before I got into Z-wave I used all Leviton (commercial grade) switches and receptacles; I love the quality. What I didn’t like about the Leviton Z-wave is that the switches are not a true rocker. Although they look like a Decora rocker switch in fact only the bottom half works. It’s push on/push off. I couldn’t get used to that. More importantly, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor); my wife really liked the cool blue LEDs on the GE switches…

Say what you will, but letting my wife pick the switches meant I didn’t have to fight the battle to convert the whole house to Z-wave! She got blue LEDs, I got a home automation system. Over almost 30 years of marriage (to the same woman) I’ve learned to pick my battles…

My $0.02. Hope it helps you a little.

I have GE and leviton on my home.

leviton is very complicated to configure sometimes.
GE is pretty good to install and set on vera3.

I will try my firsts Evolve because GE dimmers I do not find anymore in the internet, only switches.

I think evolve is like GE in quality.

[quote=“Piwtorak, post:8, topic:174668”]leviton is very complicated to configure sometimes.
GE is pretty good to install and set on vera3.[/quote]
Are you comparing Leviton dimmers/switches to GE dimmer/switches?

oTi@…
I think quality is a sum of many points…
Leviton is better than GE in quality ( I read this in many topics)…

but leviton is very complicated to works…GE one touch and is running…

then…this comes GE to a good option too…

understand ? that was I wanted say.

Leviton is no more complicated then the GE switches. To include you just tap the switch and the same for excluding. This goes for both dimmers and relay switches. The zone and scene switches are a different story.

• Garrett

Maybe i was started by the most complicated way: the scene controllers and this did me sadly about the leviton brand
I will buy some dimmers and switches leviton to try it.

I have the Intermatic InTouch CA600 and CA3000 Dimmers and Switches and I love them, only problem is they don’t make them anymore. You are still able to get the dimmers on ebay from automatedoutlet.com, 6 for $99. You can also get 6 receptacles for $99 from them as well. (One of these receptacles plus a cheap relay and a z-wave door contact give you control of your garage)

One of the things I love about these switches is in a 3-way and 4-way config you only need to replace one of the switches and the others still work together.

I contacted the company directly and they suggested using the Evolve Relay Switches since Intermatic is no longer selling theirs. Problem is they are still $40 a switch. At the other price I would replace every switch and outlet in my house but as it goes over $20 per switch I start to think… do I really need to control it.

[quote=“Chris H., post:13, topic:174668”]I have the Intermatic InTouch CA600 and CA3000 Dimmers and Switches and I love them, only problem is they don’t make them anymore. You are still able to get the dimmers on ebay from automatedoutlet.com, 6 for $99. You can also get 6 receptacles for $99 from them as well. (One of these receptacles plus a cheap relay and a z-wave door contact give you control of your garage)

One of the things I love about these switches is in a 3-way and 4-way config you only need to replace one of the switches and the others still work together.

I contacted the company directly and they suggested using the Evolve Relay Switches since Intermatic is no longer selling theirs. Problem is they are still $40 a switch. At the other price I would replace every switch and outlet in my house but as it goes over $20 per switch I start to think… do I really need to control it.[/quote]

Awesome info! Thanks for that. Looks like the regular switches are no longer available, just the dimmers and receptacles. Just a quick question. Do these switches work with regular switch plates? Reason I ask is I have several multiswitch boxes and would need to use a mulitswitch faceplate.

These switches use standard Decora type switchplates, including multiswitch plates.

If you need both Decora style and old fashioned toggle style in the same multiswitch plate, you can use something like this Leviton P326-W 4-Gang 3-Toggle Decora Combination Wallplate. Different combinations are available.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:15, topic:174668”]These switches use standard Decora type switchplates, including multiswitch plates.

If you need both Decora style and old fashioned toggle style in the same multiswitch plate, you can use something like this Leviton P326-W 4-Gang 3-Toggle Decora Combination Wallplate. Different combinations are available.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks!