Newbie - looking for suggestions

I have openluup up and running on a Pi3. Great turnkey install btw. However now got it setup and been exploring, I am trying to work out how to use it. I have all my automation logic running on PLEG which I understand cant run on openluup. Other than the zwave devices, PLEG also controls my alarm and heating plugins, sonos and harmony plugins and uses the iphone locator as a trigger.

So am I right that none of this can be migrated to openluup?

Other than the above I have iphone locator running but which sends alerts over Vera Alerts, so guessing I cant migrate that either over to openluup?

Think that leaves my with datayours, which almost doesnt seem worth it.

Or am I missing something?

You have @CudaNet to thanks for the turnkey install.

So am I right that none of this can be migrated to openluup?

It’s true that PLEG doesn’t run. Richard was looking at it but the project seems to have gone cold. I think he didn’t like the fact that I hadn’t implemented UPnP-style triggers. Maybe there’s aren’t currently enough openLuup users for him to think it’s worth the effort.

Other than the above I have iphone locator running but which sends alerts over Vera Alerts, so guessing I cant migrate that either over to openluup?

There’s a list here (probably a bit out of date) of tested plugins: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36939.msg275403.html#msg275403

The list includes: Sonos, Harmony, iPhoneLocator, …

Think that leaves my with datayours, which almost doesnt seem worth it.

Or am I missing something?

…looks like you were missing something?

DataYours is perhaps worth a look again now that you can view results with Grafana too.

I thought that Richard had completed the project and it was operational on openLuup? Guess we need to hear from the man himself?

Have a look at workflows in ALTUI.

I had it working minus triggers …
I consider triggers (or what akbooer calls upnp tiggers) an important part of the device/plugin interface for most users.
In fact it is more of the public interface than variables are (which is what OpenLuup users attach too.) For most plugins Variables are the “internals” of the contract with users and not the contract itself.

It’s true that most LUA users (who are advanced in the first place) can roll there own triggers by digging into the variables and understanding how things work. But PLEG was not written to cater to advanced users. Although many advanced user, including my self, use it.

I have all of my Automation in PLEG/PLTS … minus one thing.
The only thing I use LUA for is managing my shop lights (a grid of 4x6 or 24 lights, each on a separate Z-Wave wall plug) from a single Z-wave Switch (which remembers the last used lighting pattern).

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:5, topic:193990”]snip

But PLEG was not written to cater to advanced users. Although many advanced user, including my self, use it.[/quote]

PLEG made us all into advanced users, whether it was intended or not ;D !

Actually one thing I was thinking I could use it for is restarting the Vera with a power cycle of a smart plug if openluup detected there Vera is down. Obviously can’t be a zwave smart plug, could I get a WiFi one and control that?

It certainly could be a ZWave plug if you were using ZWave.me hardware (Razberry board or UZB stick) and the ZWay plugin. Equally, you could do as you suggest and use WiFi. Or perhaps home brew something youself with MySensors and an Arduino.

Lots of options, although it seems a bit of overkill just for that. I’m sure you could find additional uses for the system.

I am finding myself having to unplug and restart my vera edge on an increasing freququency which as I add more and more automation to it promises to have the other half lose enthusiasm for it so even that is worth it! But yes, I’ll keep experimenting and see how i go. I could move some of my automation to LUA once I can find some time to learn it.

So after many problems with very logs into a USB stick via an unpowered hub, I got a powered one and support were able to have a detailed look at what was going on on my Vera. Turns out it’s inference from another network device.

"I can see that the UPnP service files are loading continuously in a loop and this is usually caused by another device on the network which is conflicting with Vera. I wasn?t able to see the IP of that device.

In most cases this is caused by IPTV?s and DLNA media servers.

The issue has been forwarded to our development team and it should be fixed in a future UI7 build but for the moment I don?t have an ETA."

Anyone else experienced this?

This doesn’t seem to be openLuup-related?

True. It was the follow-up to my issue. I’ll start a new thread ad keen to get support for Vera to fix this.