Newbie: Initial set-up of Light Switches [distance from VeraPlus]

So I also had a few light switches installed 2 floors above my new Vera Plus, and I could not detect them in Vera.

I then moved the Vera up one floor, directly one floor beneath one of the Linear Dimmer Zwave switches…and I still could not detect.

Right now, I only have one device using zwave [door lock] and it is in the basement about 15’ from Vera.

How do I get my Vera controller close enough to initially detect the switches? Do I need to install more switches/devices on my way through the house, building the mesh network?

Please Advise.

Thanks!

[quote=“thecodas, post:1, topic:193072”]So I also had a few light switches installed 2 floors above my new Vera Plus, and I could not detect them in Vera.

I then moved the Vera up one floor, directly one floor beneath one of the Linear Dimmer Zwave switches…and I still could not detect.

Right now, I only have one device using zwave [door lock] and it is in the basement about 15’ from Vera.

How do I get my Vera controller close enough to initially detect the switches? Do I need to install more switches/devices on my way through the house, building the mesh network?

Please Advise.

The thing that sucks about the plus (compared to the 3) is you can’t currently use the internal wifi network for setup. Get the Vera as close as you possibly can, go into discover devices and put the switch in pairing mode. Based on the type of switch it varies how you do this. It can be as simple as turning the switch on or it can require you to turn the switch on and off rapidly multiple times in a short period of time.

Thanks![/quote]

Sorry about the bad formatting in the above post.

Just in case it helps!

Light switches do not normally need to be close. They may have already been paired with an other controller.
Try to unpair if you cannot pair just in case.

I’ve tried unpairing too. For Linear switches, it simply means turning on and off… Connecting is supposed to be easy.

I’m thinking of connecting a repeater and then bring that close to the switches… thoughts on that approach?

The plus canbe used without the lan connected. Try just plugging it in in the same room as the switch.
i can’t remember how to start include using the buttons on the plus but a quick search here will tell you.
Good luck

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:6, topic:193072”]The plus canbe used without the lan connected. Try just plugging it in in the same room as the switch.
i can’t remember how to start include using the buttons on the plus but a quick search here will tell you.
Good luck[/quote]

If I connect to wifi and bring it in the same room as the switches, couldn’t I just bring the laptop up there and connect the switch to the controller using the device wizard in Vera GUI?

[quote=“thecodas, post:7, topic:193072”][quote=“Slartibartfast, post:6, topic:193072”]The plus canbe used without the lan connected. Try just plugging it in in the same room as the switch.
Good luck[/quote]

If I connect to wifi and bring it in the same room as the switches, couldn’t I just bring the laptop up there and connect the switch to the controller using the device wizard in Vera GUI?[/quote]

No. The wifi on the plus currently isn’t setup to work that way. You can do it locally, but you’re doing it kind of blind, relying on the lights on the vera to tell you what is going on.