(newbe) Can see but not change Trane TZ400BB3VZNNSL thermostats

(FYI, Problems are solved thanks to help from Forum)

I have installed two new Trane (TZ400BB3VZNNSL) thermostats. I can see them and see the settings and temperature and such but I cannot change the temperature, etc. remotely. I didn’t see them listed under thermostats on my dashboard for adding devices so I set them up as generic devices. I have the VeraLite G controller. I do not have a ‘remote’ that the Trane manual says to use to set it up with z-wave. I moved my controllable light plug close to the thermostats and had the system look for devices and this seemed to work. But I can’t change the temp from the Vera app or web page. Now that I have looked a bit closer online it says this function is for the Nexia system with a $10 monthly fee.

So, is my set up wrong, is there an app I can add or can I not adjust the temp remotely on these using Vera.

If anybody knows how to make it work or can give me ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:1, topic:186026”]I have installed two new Trane (TZ400BB3VZNNSL) thermostats. I can see them and see the settings and temperature and such but I cannot change the temperature, etc. remotely. I didn’t see them listed under thermostats on my dashboard for adding devices so I set them up as generic devices. I have the VeraLite G controller. I do not have a ‘remote’ that the Trane manual says to use to set it up with z-wave. I moved my controllable light plug close to the thermostats and had the system look for devices and this seemed to work. But I can’t change the temp from the Vera app or web page. Now that I have looked a bit closer online it says this function is for the Nexia system with a $10 monthly fee.

So, is my set up wrong, is there an app I can add or can I not adjust the temp remotely on these using Vera.

If anybody knows how to make it work or can give me ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks.[/quote]

Those will work just fine with VERA. They are supposed to control temp remotely. Setup as Generic devices is perfectly fine and 99% of devices that’s the best way to do it. The list is not big in VERA.

Sounds like your using ui7. Is this correct?
Is it set to a/c or heat?
Is the fan set to auto?
Is the mode set to normal?

After those what happens when you try and change temp?

Thanks for the help, I am glad to know they will work so I am sure I will get it going eventually.The thermostats are actually about 180 miles from right now. They are at a second home. Yes, I am using UI7Currently, both of them are set heat, fan is set to auto. Now that you ask the question, when I look on Vera the mode is not highlighted for energy or normal. When I look at the advanced settings under the ‘variables’ tab the ‘ModeState’ is Idle and the ModeStateForEnergy is 1.
Frankly I don’t really know what any of that means but from your question I am thinking maybe the mode should be wither normal or energy.

As I said I am very new to the Vera and these controllable devices in general. My daughter happen to be going to the second home last week so she took the thermostats with her, hooked them up and we set up on Vera over the phone. I actually adjusted the temp from my phone while she was there and she said it worked noting the change on the thermostat. But now that the house is empty it’s not working.

Is there someplace to go to find all the different settings and possible entries for devices? I haven’t had much luck searching the forums but I never know if I am just using the wrong terms or what.

Thanks

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:3, topic:186026”]Is there someplace to go to find all the different settings and possible entries for devices? I haven’t had much luck searching the forums but I never know if I am just using the wrong terms or what.

Thanks[/quote]

Not really, but I would first check all this from a computer not from the mobile app.

2nd I don’t use the VERA mobile app, I use Imperihome instead.

I have 7 Trane thermostat’s between 2 house that have zoning. I also have a house few hundred miles away. I used to use only ui5 but one house now has ui7. They work the same. I don’t use the energy mode on the thermostat. Click on and set to normal.

Thanks. And, I apologize that I was unclear, I am using a computer and I was on the laptop and talking to my daughter over the phone while we set up the thermostats. afterwards I did adjust it but now that I think about it I am not sure if I used the laptop or the app when I changed the temperature and she confirmed it worked. So I may have been lying when I said I changed on it my phone.

Since then I have used both the computer and the app and have the same results on both which I can see the thermostats but can’t change them.

I had no idea there were other app options. Imperihome looks pretty awesome and I am going to give the free version a test spin this evening.

It seems I have a lot of Vera learning to do.

Thanks for you help. I am certain if I can’t get it going from home I will get it when I next visit the home #2.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:5, topic:186026”]Thanks. And, I apologize that I was unclear, I am using a computer and I was on the laptop and talking to my daughter over the phone while we set up the thermostats. afterwards I did adjust it but now that I think about it I am not sure if I used the laptop or the app when I changed the temperature and she confirmed it worked. So I may have been lying when I said I changed on it my phone.

Since then I have used both the computer and the app and have the same results on both which I can see the thermostats but can’t change them.

I had no idea there were other app options. Imperihome looks pretty awesome and I am going to give the free version a test spin this evening.

It seems I have a lot of Vera learning to do.

Thanks for you help. I am certain if I can’t get it going from home I will get it when I next visit the home #2.[/quote]

When you say you can’t change them, what does that mean? Do they change back? Do they give an error? Can you change the fan or anything else on them besides just the temp?

I can click on the temp up and down arrows and the set temp that is displayed changes accordingly but after a couple seconds returns to 55. when I mouse over the off/Heat/Cool/Auto, the Fan cycle/on/auto or the Energy/Normal buttons the mouse pointer changes to indicate they are clickable but clicking them has no affect.

It seems clicking the temp changes the screen only until the unit is polled

I just noticed that both of the thermostats have the same device_type, device_file, device_json and local_udn. Are they supposed to or maybe the system has confused the two and that is messing things up. (again, thinking back a few days, when I successfully changed the temp using my computer we had only installed the first thermostat. My daughter later added the second. They do have different names and different altids

device_type = urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1
device_file = D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml
device_json =D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json
local_udn = uuid:4d494342-5342-5645-0006-000002261c5f

I hope this make some sense.

Files are the same. This is normal.

I would Reload Luup and refresh browser and retry. If you have no connection error on the top of the first page its problem not a device problem. Doesn’t replay explain the app doing the same thing tho.

Do you get any messages right after you click on the buttons like in my picture?

files should be the same is good to know.
Thanks for the pic. I do not get any messages after I click on the buttons.
When you say, reload luup, do you mean reboot the Vera controller? or is that a command from the Vera program in my Browser? I see the luup command http://ip_address:3480/data_request?id=reload
I don’t know much about luup but you have gotten me much closer than I was before.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:9, topic:186026”]files should be the same is good to know.
Thanks for the pic. I do not get any messages after I click on the buttons.
When you say, reload luup, do you mean reboot the Vera controller? or is that a command from the Vera program in my Browser? I see the luup command http://ip_address:3480/data_request?id=reload
I don’t know much about luup but you have gotten me much closer than I was before.[/quote]

Yes but that will only work when your on the local network and since your miles away that’s not going to work.

You can also find a button hidden in… APP’s, Develop Apps, Serial Port Configuration and on the right side of the page.
Click that wait a few min. then refresh your browser and retest. You should see across the top of the main page the reloading messages.

I have followed your instructions and I now see the message.

Actually, I was getting a message that one of the thermostats was no longer responder to the system so I removed it and I now how just one. After that I followed you instructions and reloaded Luup. Now when I click on the different thermostat controls I can see that they are being transmitted and then I get the Success! Transmit was OK.
But after about two minutes the temperature setting returns to the original 55 degrees. I can change the fan from auto to cycle or On and I get the message that the command was sent successfully but after a minute or two it switches back to Auto.

I have no idea what is going on but it seems the commands do not actually have success but the unit re-sends its current settings every minute or two and the screen adjust back to those settings.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:11, topic:186026”]I have followed your instructions and I now see the message.

Actually, I was getting a message that one of the thermostats was no longer responder to the system so I removed it and I now how just one. After that I followed you instructions and reloaded Luup. Now when I click on the different thermostat controls I can see that they are being transmitted and then I get the Success! Transmit was OK.
But after about two minutes the temperature setting returns to the original 55 degrees. I can change the fan from auto to cycle or On and I get the message that the command was sent successfully but after a minute or two it switches back to Auto.

I have no idea what is going on but it seems the commands do not actually have success but the unit re-sends its current settings every minute or two and the screen adjust back to those settings.[/quote]

Do you have a schedule set to a certain temp? Maybe on the thermostat a schedule was made to hold a certain temp and it’s auto reverting your changes back to that?

That is a great question and I don’t know the answer. Since my daughter set them up I haven’t actually messed with them in person. She didn’t intentionally set up any schedules but its possible she entered something or pushed a menu button that put the setting as a default in the schedule if that’s possible. I think I am heading to the house this weekend so I might have better luck and be able to try more things just being there. I will certainly be able to check and see if anything was set to hold a certain temp.

It seems like if that was that was the problem I would be able to change the fan setting.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:13, topic:186026”]That is a great question and I don’t know the answer. Since my daughter set them up I haven’t actually messed with them in person. She didn’t intentionally set up any schedules but its possible she entered something or pushed a menu button that put the setting as a default in the schedule if that’s possible. I think I am heading to the house this weekend so I might have better luck and be able to try more things just being there. I will certainly be able to check and see if anything was set to hold a certain temp.

It seems like if that was that was the problem I would be able to change the fan setting.[/quote]

Yes I agree I think you need to exclude and re-include them. I also don’t think your able to do schedules once z-wave is enabled. I think it locks it out for this reason. So I just threw that out but I’m leaning more toward that’s not the issue.

well, it’s about 27F degrees there now and getting down to 12F so as long as the house is actually warm enough that the pipes don’t burst, remote control can wait.
thanks for the help. I will post again after I have re-included them and hopefully all will be fine then.

Just FYI, The thermostats will not you set the temperature below 55 degrees which is what I was trying to do via the Vera controller. So you were correct that there is/was a setting stopping me. After reloading luup, the lower level thermostat seemed to work fine. The upstairs one had stopped responding so I removed it. When I got to the house the heating unit was not working. The wire had shorted somewhere in the attic. The heating man got it all fixed up and the thermostat came back on line and works like a champ.

Next project is to get the push button dead bolt working correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.

[quote=“fsuinnc, post:16, topic:186026”]Just FYI, The thermostats will not you set the temperature below 55 degrees which is what I was trying to do via the Vera controller. So you were correct that there is/was a setting stopping me. After reloading luup, the lower level thermostat seemed to work fine. The upstairs one had stopped responding so I removed it. When I got to the house the heating unit was not working. The wire had shorted somewhere in the attic. The heating man got it all fixed up and the thermostat came back on line and works like a champ.

Next project is to get the push button dead bolt working correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.[/quote]

Ahhh Yes there is an upper and lower level limit. Always the small things that get us.

Glad to hear all is ok.