New Vera Set-up & Foscam FI8908W Wireless IP Camera

Hi,

I have just recently purchased a Vera MK2 box and the Foscam FI8908W Wireless IP Camera. I have managed to get Vera up and running, but unable to get it to detect the camera, does anyone have any suggestions.

To throw fuel into the fire, I currently also have running a myhome 247 gateway, several IP cameras which are all networked and POE’d as well as sensors, but I am not sure if this will cause a conflict.

I am going to be adding on a Z-Wave smoke detector and a couple of plug adapters. Am I running before I start to walk?

All help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike

Did you already check out the many posts on this board regarding the camera?

[quote=“mikewooduk, post:1, topic:167866”]Hi,

I have just recently purchased a Vera MK2 box and the Foscam FI8908W Wireless IP Camera. I have managed to get Vera up and running, but unable to get it to detect the camera, does anyone have any suggestions.

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike - I recently installed a Vera2 and the Foscam, and love them both! Here’s some pointers:

1 The Foscam is a WiFi “wireless” device, not Z Wave
2 The Vera is a WiFi hub, with Internet access, that’s how you connect
3 Setup the Foscam using their instructions, select the Vera as your WiFi server
4 I use the Foscam through their web program mostly, not through the Vera
5 I use the Vera to access the Foscam through my smartphone, that works well
6 I had problems setting up the Foscam - switching from wired to wireless. It’s a flaw in their setup routine.
7 You must install the “Panasonic IP Camera with Pan/Tilt/Zoom” plug-in in your Mios dashboard to “detect” the camera
8 You must do some file hocus-pocus to control the camera through Vera, not for the faint of heart but it works well once it works.

Hope that helps - reply using the above numbers on anything you need further info on

(flyboy)bob

Hi Bob,

I have managed to get it to see it (well the IP Address anyway), however it is not bringing back a snapshot image or live feed.

I also have several other cameras that are wired IP based and they can be seen by Vera but cant be installed due to the way I have had them configured to work with my Xanboo Gateway Device.

Is there any Foscam plug-ins that you are aware off?

Using the Foscam away from Vera is brilliant, it puts my £500.00 Panasonic POE (without night vision) camera to shame, so at least I know the cam works out the box.

Also looking to install some X10 devices later on, but want to get this one cracked first.

Many thanks,

Mike

All good news Mike. To get it to work on the Vera I had to install the plug-in in my point #7, and then modify the plug-in file as per a number of posts on these forums.

As I said it was not for the faint-of-heart but if you search for Foscam or Panasonic plug-in you will find several detailed posts on how to do it. It worked for me and I don’t have a lot of patience…

Further help here if you need it,
Regards,
bob