New User Questions

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a Vera, but I have a couple prospective questions:

1. My Z-Wave system is centered around the Monster AVL300 remote, and I want it to continue to be. It is my understanding that I can setup the Vera as a secondary controller with the Monster remote as the primary. Having the Vera as the secondary means I can use all the features except add/remote new Z-Wave nodes, correct? Are ther any other limitations for using the Vera as a secondary controller?

2. I currently have a wireless N router, so I don’t want to use the Vera as my primary router. Can it be configured as a wireless access point so I can access it wirelessly and place it in a closet? Looking to turn off the router functions but still access the Vera wirelessly. Can plug it into my network if necessary, but again, I’d rather park it in a closet.

Thanks.

I can’t say from experience that your first assumption works, but its my understanding that yes, it should work that way.
You can indeed have Vera be a wireless or wired client on your network. I plugged mine in via cable to my existing router and Vera hooked up that way automatically.
Here’s the Wiki on networking:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Networking_Setup

Hi.

1. There are no limitations when using Vera as the secondary controller, just what you’ve pointed out.

2. You can use Vera as an Access Point, store it in your closet or where it has connection with your Wireless router with no problem.

I still use my Vera as secondary with my Leviton controller as Primary. Since now Vera can associate Leviton zone/scene controllers just fine, I’ll be probably switching the roles soon…

From what I heard, Monster controller is very crippled - it can only work as Primary controller. Hopefully it can send the network setup to other secondary controllers, like Vera.

Also you’d loose the ability to “heal” the network, if Vera is not Primary.

[quote=“tazmcv, post:1, topic:165138”]2. I currently have a wireless N router, so I don’t want to use the Vera as my primary router. Can it be configured as a wireless access point so I can access it wirelessly and place it in a closet? Looking to turn off the router functions but still access the Vera wirelessly. Can plug it into my network if necessary, but again, I’d rather park it in a closet.

Thanks.[/quote]

I think everyone may be missing the point… correct me if I am wrong… but I think taz wants to use the vera in client mode. Which I am not so sure is so easy to do.

Supposedly it is possible to use vera in client mode (a wireless connection to your main router instead of wired) but it has not been attempted by many and nobody I know has confirmed this as working. Can anyone comment on if they have client mode working or have personally tried this?

I would definitely recommend a wired connection to your main router… it is just a more reliable way to go even if it did work 100%.