New to openluup: migrating from Veraplus to openluup

Hey im NOOB to openluup - i dont even know where to start, so my question is do i need to remove the plugins from my vera and just have the vera connected the devices and openluup will actually do the heavy lifting?

this question has probly been asked so many times, i understand im sorry.

or do i mirror my current vera setup and then uninstall the plugins and just use the vera as the interface

You can do this in stages:

[ul][li]read the User Guide. Latest version is currently in the development branch[/li]
[li]setup openLuup and connect to existing Vera setup with VeraBridge (built in to openLuup)[/li]
[li]play with the basics for a while, just to get used to things[/li]
[li]add (or transfer) any stand-alone plugins to openLuup (like Netatmo, or ALTHue, …)[/li]
[li]start writing some scenes in openLuup[/li]
[li]use the scene clones or VeraBridge action GetVeraScenes to make local versions of your Vera scenes[/li]
[li]start phasing out Vera scenes and use openLuup instead[/li]
[li]eventually get to a point where Vera is just a ZWave bridge[/li]
[li]investigate more exotic features of AltUI, like workflows, or other plugins like Reactor[/li]
[li]…[/li][/ul]

thank you that is just what i need

Not sure what a stand-alone plugin means.
I have lots of stuff and lots of plugins:

FoscamHD,
Mochad
ECO Switch
Belkin WeMo

Will OpenLuup work with any/all of these?
How about my OSRAM Lightify ZigBee lights?
Wemo, Tplink, ECO wifi switches?

If not, would I just leave them and their plugins on my VeraPlus and bridge to them?

How much will new VeraPlus firmware upgrades(?) hurt?

Sorry for so many questions, but I’m SOOOOOO tired of the unreliability of my VeraPlus system.

Yes, that wasn’t a very good choice of words. You get some plugins which are very integrated with particular hardware, especially those with serial interfaces, and you have to do a bit of system configuration to get some of these to work. On the other hand, there are others which are related to devices not physically connected to Vera, or virtual devices, often with IP, perhaps HTTP, interfaces and these generally transfer across to openLuup easily. I gave a couple of examples of those.

I have lots of stuff and lots of plugins: [...] Will OpenLuup work with any/all of these?

Here’s a list of plugins which various people have told us work:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36939.msg275403.html#msg275403

I have a Foscam camera on one of my systems, and openLuup is able access it and also create an associated security alarm which is triggered by emails from the camera.

There are a lot of third-party plugins out there and I don’t have knowledge of them all, so rely on what other can find out. That’s what the forum is all about.

How about my OSRAM Lightify ZigBee lights? Wemo, Tplink, ECO wifi switches?

Again, I don’t know. I use the excellent AltHue plugin by @amg0 which provide great control of my Philips Hue Zigbee-controlled lights. WiFi devices usually have plugins which work well.

If not, would I just leave them and their plugins on my VeraPlus and bridge to them?

That’s the way to start, and then you can transfer bit by bit, per my previous post here.

How much will new VeraPlus firmware upgrades(?) hurt?

Only inasmuch as they break functionality on Vera. Personally, except for one test machine, I haven’t upgraded the firmware on my Veras for years. openLuup does not rely on any additional software plugin on Vera itself. Indeed, Vera is totally unaware that openLuup is interfacing to it.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm SOOOOOO tired of the unreliability of my VeraPlus system.

As are we all. That’s why I wrote openLuup.

Thanks akbooer. Very helpful post.

I see that OpenLuup doesn’t support UPnP and never will. I have a couple of plugins that require the ‘UPnP Event Proxy’ plugin so I assume these won’t work. Is there a workaround for this?

I’m assuming that as I move more and more plugins and scenes from my VeraPlus to OpenLuup that my VeraPlus will become more reliable. Is this a valid assumption?

I have a very useful group of panels in ALTUI. Will I have to rebuild them on OpenLuup or is there a way to move them?

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

If you’re thinking of the Sonos and the like, I believe that this works just fine - it was a standalone piece of code, built by a couple of expert forum members a while ago, but I’ve not found a use of it myself.

I'm assuming that as I move more and more plugins and scenes from my VeraPlus to OpenLuup that my VeraPlus will become more reliable. Is this a valid assumption?

That’s both the hope, and the experience. Not all plugins are created equal, however. There are some which are real killers for Vera. The irony is that, under openLuup, devices and plugins take MUCH less space, but it typically runs on a machine with much more memory! Of course, some things (particularly encrypted plugins) simply won’t run.

I have a very useful group of panels in ALTUI. Will I have to rebuild them on OpenLuup or is there a way to move them?

That, I don’t know, but I imagine that other, more JavaScript-savvy folk, will know the answer, or even @amg0 himself.

It took a while but I finally found a ‘round toit’ but now I’m stuck.
Everything looked OK when I installed openLuup but when I try to access it through a browser I get:

error in callback [lr_ALTUI_Handler] : [string “L_ALTUI.lua”]:2307: attempt to index local ‘tbl’ (a nil value)

I’m on a Pi 2 b+ that I just set up from scratch and I’m installing into /etc/cmh-ludl/ which is owned by root/root with permission of 777. I tried running the install as pi and I also tried using ‘sudo lua5.1 openLuup_install.lua’ so it installed as root. Same thing.

Here’s the output from the install:

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/cmh-ludl $ sudo lua5.1 openLuup_install.lua
openLuup_install 2017.03.28 @akbooer
getting latest openLuup version tar file from GitHub…
un-zipping download files…
getting dkjson.lua…
creating required files and folders
initialising…
downloading and installing AltUI…
Sat Aug 18 14:43:51 2018 device 3 ‘Alternate UI’ requesting reload
openLuup downloaded, installed, and running…
visit http://192.168.202.12:3480 to start using the system
pi@raspberrypi:/etc/cmh-ludl $ Sat Aug 18 14:43:51 2018 device 2 ’ openLuup’ requesting reload

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/cmh-ludl $

The output of the install looks like your example except both device 2 and 3 request a reload. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for your previous help,
Jim

There’s a quick hack to fix this here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,83034.msg387377.html#msg387377

but I thought this had been fixed in the latest code. Maybe it’s only in the development branch at the moment?

More info here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,83034.msg409695.html#msg409695

Wow, that was quick!!!
Thanks jswim788. Not only fast but correct.

Now for the next thing. ;D

I see that GetVeraFiles doesn’t also get the rooms and instead puts everything in one room. If I make CloneRooms true will GetVeraFiles also get rooms and create the newly created devices in the right rooms?
Can I turn it on and GetVeraFiles again to set up the rooms properly or do I need to start over from scratch?

Is there a way to transfer a plugin or do I need to install it from the alt app store?

Can I use Alexa with openLuup? Can I connect to openLuup remotely with Altui?

[quote=“Jim McGhee, post:11, topic:199529”]I see that GetVeraFiles doesn’t also get the rooms and instead puts everything in one room. If I make CloneRooms true will GetVeraFiles also get rooms and create the newly created devices in the right rooms?
Can I turn it on and GetVeraFiles again to set up the rooms properly or do I need to start over from scratch?[/quote]

Yes, just set CloneRooms to the string true and it should so what you want. The reverse is not the case: if you change CloneRooms to something else, the devices will stay where they were. To reset them entirely, you’d have to delete the bridge device, restart, and create a new bridge.

Is there a way to transfer a plugin or do I need to install it from the alt app store?

The GetVeraFiles action, with no parameters, should have downloaded all the existing plugin files from your Vera. If you want something different, it may be available on the AltAppStore, available from AltUI’s More > App Store menu. Use the ALT button to download to openLuup from that site.

Can I use Alexa with openLuup? Can I connect to openLuup remotely with Altui?

There is a partial list of known working plugins for openLuup here: openLuup: Known working plugins

I don’t see Alexa on that, you may need to search the forum, I don’t have one.

For remote access, there are some options. See: Remote Access

I assume that means delete the VeraBridge device and run lua5.1 openLuup_install.lua again?

and Thanks again.

I assume that means delete the VeraBridge device and run lua5.1 openLuup_install.lua again?

and Thanks again.[/quote]

No, no, no, not at all!

openLuup is fully configurable after install. There’s nothing you can’t undo. Just deleting the VeraBridge device will remove it and its child devices (which are the clones of Vera’s devices.) Create a new bridge device either with AltUI’s Create Device option, or, more simply, by clicking on the VeraBridge Update button on the Plugins page. The only reconfiguration you will need is to put in the remote Vera’s IP address and restart.

and Thanks again.[/quote]

No, no, no, not at all!

openLuup is fully configurable after install. There’s nothing you can’t undo. Just deleting the VeraBridge device will remove it and its child devices (which are the clones of Vera’s devices.) Create a new bridge device either with AltUI’s Create Device option, or, more simply, by clicking on the VeraBridge Update button on the Plugins page. The only reconfiguration you will need is to put in the remote Vera’s IP address and restart.[/quote]

Oops, overkill.
That worked great.
Thanks again.

I decided to start with Rules Engine.
After I ran GetVeraFiles I noticed that it imported the Rules Engine device but not the plugin so I figured I needed to delete the ghost device.
Unfortunately, it won’t delete.
I installed V0.19.3 of the app from Alt App Store and imported and saved a rule but it doesn’t show the rule on the screen.
It created C_RulesEngine_Rules.xml so I’m pretty sure it wrote it.
Just no show.
Could this be connected to the ghost Rules Engine device? Do I need a dev version of the plugin?
Sorry for all the questions…

For a specific plugin, you’re probably better posting on the appropriate sub-forum…

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,34489.0.html

Unless you ask to bridge only ZWave devices, you will also get the plugin devices cloned by VeraBridge. Are you looking at the local Rules Engine, rather then the cloned one?

I was trying to delete the cloned (ghost?) device before I installed the plugin locally, if that answers your question.
I guess I don’t understand this. GetVeraFiles sets up a clone of the Rules Engine device but it’s not useful because there is no Rules Engine plugin and it can’t be deleted?
Then if I install a local version of the Rules Engine plugin from the Alt App Store it will install a special version just for openLuup and create a second non-ghost Rules Engine device?
Isn’t it confusing to have two Rules Engine devices?
The User Guide talks a lot about moving scenes and devices to local versions but not much about creating local versions of plugins.
I must be missing something really important here. :frowning:

So then the question is WHY? But perhaps the following helps…

GetVeraFiles sets up a clone of the Rules Engine device but it's not useful because there is no Rules Engine plugin and it can't be deleted?

Not quite. VeraBridge clones all the remote devices (and plugins) on Vera, unless you ask it to do otherwise. GetVeraFiles, brings uncompressed copies of all the device files over to the local openLuup machine so that they may be used to (a) display the remote devices properly, and (b) are available for local use (such as if you wanted to use them to install a local plugin.) However, there is another way to access some plugins…

Then if I install a local version of the Rules Engine plugin from the Alt App Store it will install a special version just for openLuup and create a second non-ghost Rules Engine device?

That’s right.

Isn't it confusing to have two Rules Engine devices?

Not really. By default, openLuup will put these into a separate room for the remote Vera, so you only see local devices under No Room (unless you have placed them in an alternative room.) My main openLuup system has three linked Veras. I have four copies of DataYours, for example, and three copies of EventWatcher showing under All (see attachment.)

The User Guide talks a lot about moving scenes and devices to local versions but not much about creating local versions of plugins. I must be missing something really important here. :(

I think it’s I who is missing something, or perhaps the documentation. Easiest thing for local plugins is to download them, if available, from the AltAppStore. If not, and you have them on Vera, then it’s easy to create them as local devices (using Add on the Devices page), otherwise your load the files manually from wherever and then create them manually in the same way.

The goal of openLuup is to offload everything but the ZWave interface from Vera. This is, historically, about the only way to increase Vera’s stability. That involves running plugins locally under openLuup, which was designed to provide an environment which is as complete an emulation of Vera as possible.

Part of my problem was that I didn’t realize that the plugins that were downloaded from the VeraPlus were put in /etc/cmh-ludl/files. Unfortunately, when I install Rules Engine from the Alt App Store, it also puts into /etc/cmh-ludl/files. Is this expected? Can I change it? Rules Engine doesn’t seem to like this. :frowning:
Also, Rules Engine requires lpx.lom from the Expat library which does not appear to be installed on openLuup. Should it be?
I installed luarocks and luaexpat and it helped but only for a while. I’m back to not being able to save a rule. :frowning:
But at least it now reads them. :slight_smile: