New Project :)

First off I just want to say the forum looks fantastic, it is tough to get a supportive forum like this. I am looking to build a z-wave network in a new house I just built. It is a 6100 sq ft house with 3 stories. I want to be able to integrate everything without spending the crazy money on control4 and figured I would ask all of you what you recommend, where is what I want:

-An alarm system monitored
-I want to be able to control lights/thermostat/doors from my phone or the web
-I want to be able to have the lights turn on when i come into a room and turn off when I leave.
-I want to set certain security scenes as well with some outside lights.
-Want to be able to monitor two points of the house with two cameras. I would also like your opinions on the best z-wave camera out there right now, one that can swivel.

I basically need to figure out what you guys recommend getting. I take it the Vera can control all of this well but are there better ones? If i get monitored by say Alarm.com which also has a z-wave control panel could I control that alarm.com panel with the vera?That would be a way around paying alarm.com $60/month for monitoring.

First welcome, Second if you search through the forum, you’ll see that there are a few topics asking many of the questions you have asked. Most of them have already been answered and provide our experiences.

• Garrett

I have:

Vera 3
DSC 1832 with eyes-on interface

This should address your security panel and automation needs. I would lean towards DSC for motion and door sensors (the plugin allows you to see/act on DSC sensors) instead of zwave door/motion…they’re the weakest link in zwave imo.

For cams, I use a standalone DVR (Blue Iris for Windows) with 4 foscam IP cameras (2 x 8910, 2 x 8905). I can view them in the vera web/phone apps, but it is very limited. I don’t know of a great Vera/DVR solution, but I keep hoping there will be enough interest to get a Blue Iris plugin written.

It all comes down to how much you want to do yourself. If you’re a techy and have the skills and desire to set up the system yourself. Vera is a good way to go. It is robust enough to accomplish any automation you desire, but you may have to get creative. Z-wave modules can be difficult to come by at a fair price, but this is remedying itself as it becomes more widely adopted.

It would have been awesome if your house were still under construction and you could just have the builders install the z-wave thermostats, outlets, and light switches, but if your house is done then I suspect you’ll have to replace the existing hardware.

To your list!

“-An alarm system monitored”

I think you mean an externally monitored alarm system. That is, it will contact a company that will contact the authorities if they receive an alert from your home. Alarm.com looks good for this. I think Comcast has an option. Going with a private company will likely limit your capacity to cost-effectively add or adjust your system.

Alternatively, many people just have their system set up to call/text/alert themselves if there’s an issue at their home. You can avoid paying the monthly service fee if you’re willing to be the jerk in the movie theater that doesn’t power off his/her cell phone. Vera can be set up to do this with the right selection of modules.

-I want to be able to control lights/thermostat/doors from my phone or the web

Vera has phone apps and a web portal that gives you control of all your zwave devices.

LIGHTS

There are several ways to control lamps. The two easiest ways use commonly available modules.

One is just by replacing a standard wall switch with a z-wave switch. This is the most seamless method in my opinion.

(Amazon.com).

Another is a socket module that can be screwed in like a light bulb and then have a light bulb screwed into it. This is best for lamps that are plugged into a wall, and don’t have a light switch.

(Amazon.com)

Thermostats

Vera integrates very easily with most of the available zwave thermostats. Depending on your HVAC system wiring can be a little confusing so I recommend getting some help if you’re not too savvy with wiring diagrams. Make sure you get the equipment manuals from your builders, it will make things MUCH easier.

I use one made by Honeywell (Amazon.com).

Door Control

Schlage makes a large variety of bolts and door handles that can be monitored and locked/unlocked through a Vera. I like this for admitting service workers into the home when you can’t be there. Have them call you, unlock the door from your phone.

(Amazon.com)

-I want to be able to have the lights turn on when i come into a room and turn off when I leave.

This can be a little trickier as it’s still something of an art. I imagine many people use motion sensors and timers to accomplish this.

-I want to set certain security scenes as well with some outside lights.

Easily accomplished with lighting modules and Vera’s platform.

-Want to be able to monitor two points of the house with two cameras. I would also like your opinions on the best z-wave camera out there right now, one that can swivel.

I haven’t dealt with cameras. I do plan to install one to monitor my front door so if someone rings the doorbell I can get a video on my phone. You’ll have to go to the “video camera control” part of the forum.