New Plugin : NETMON - a network device monitor

Just installed this to monitor phones coming in and out of the house as I have given up on Geofencing.
Everything works unless I tick the inverted checkbox at which point the sensors never trip, even when the status check shows the device as online.

Hi amg0,
Thanks for the nice plugin! I have being using netmon since you released the very first version.
Today I set HTTP on it for the very first time, and I got some strange behaviour.
I have set 3 web pages to be monitored:
IPAddr Page
192.168.1.160 page1.html
192.168.1.160 page2.html
192.168.1.160 page3.html
I also have 192.168.1.160 being monitored by ping as well (as it is the server machine itself).
Strange behaviour 1: No new child devices were created (despite I see the 3 new items in both settings and status tabs, and the counter in main netmon device shows the right number of devices)
Strange behaviour 2: If I stop any of the 3 pages (so my web server answers HTTP 500 no netmon), I get a notification from the PING 192.168.1.160 device.
Strange behaviour 3: Even offline, the 3 pages are always ā€˜green on-lineā€™ at status tab.
Maybe netmon is mixing the 4 devices as all 4 have same IP address?
Again, thx for the plugin!

yes clearly, as you can see in devices altid property which is set to ā€œchild_ā€, the design is based on the assumption that there is only one monitor per IP address

I ll look if a change is possible but that will be difficult to change as it would impact older users

@rvendrame
I have put a beta on GitHub - amg0/NetMonitor: Network Monitor plugin for VERA which should enable having multiple type of probes for the same device/same IP address

can you test and let me know ?
be careful though that having several probes per the same ip forces the plugin to create different VERA child device for each probe and because of that, this version is going to be a little bit disruptive as it will delete and recreate devices but with different device IDs ( which may impact your scenes )

it will also be true that a change in an existing probe settings will force a device change. for instance changing an existing http probe from a page to another , or changing a probe from ping to http or vice versa , will also force a device change.

let me know how it goes.

@amg0
Thanks, It worked fine, as you mentioned all child devices were recreated (with different IDs).
One comment, the new child devices got an ā€˜1ā€™ at end of their names ā€” Is this expected? Can I rename them and remove this ā€˜1ā€™ ? Or will it cause trouble in the plugin?
Anyway now I can monitor the status of some services running in my server, thanks a lot! :wink:

I think you can rename without issue, this number comes from Vera firmware I think as the same name existed before they decide to override with this suffix, I ll see if I can do something in the final version

@amg0
I renamed the devices (removed the ā€˜1ā€™ at end) without any issue.
As you asked for suggestions :wink: ā€” and despite it already fulfilled my needs ā€” Here some ā€˜nice-to-haveā€™ features that would be welcome in the HTTP area:

• HTTPS support;
  • Option to enter a string to be matched in the response from the website;

Thanks for the excellent plugin!

I installed this plugin some weeks ago, and it was working fine when I installed it. I have two child devices Iā€™m monitoring, set at 900 sec poll rate. For some reason, the devices are no longer pinging, even manually with the Test button. I can ping them from my PC. Both are phones and I can confirm theyā€™re connected. My Vera has UI7ā€¦ plugin v0.7.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

Lots of possible reasons. If they are phones, have the IP addresses changed? Typically youā€™d have them on DHCP from memory the Netmon uses a static IP address to check?

C

Negative - I assign static IPā€™s at the router. Iā€™ve checked their IP addresses and theyā€™re what Netmon is looking for.

So you can ping the IPā€™s from another device on the LAN?

I think youā€™ve run into a bug identified on another threadā€¦ I could be wrong butā€¦

C

Yes, at will.

Link to thread?

I may be mistaken. This is about Site sensor, not Netmon

C

Enable debug then trigger a lump reload
Then look and get the logs please
Also, use the latest version on github to be sure.

Is there a way to prevent trips from creating a vera alert? I hate getting alerts via the vera interface.

it is a good question, it must be a UI7 configuration somewhere. maybe playing with the Arm/Disarm state and checking your notification options. you should be able to ask fro notifications only for Armed device for instance

Under Users & ā€œAccount Info => Notifications Settingsā€ I have everything unchecked. Under ā€œDevicesā€ there is not way to either arm or disarm the ā€œNetmonā€ device. Under the ā€œNetmonā€ deviceā€™s ā€œAdvancedā€ settings tab => Variables, I see a variable called ā€œDevices Notificationā€ that originally appeared empty, but then later showed my deviceā€™s name. What does this variable do?

Every time a pinged device setup within Netmon changes state (offline => online, or vice versa) Iā€™m getting an alert appearing at the top of the Vera dashboard with the following textā€¦ ā€œDevice Name - User created trigger firedā€. Any other thoughts on how to eliminate this?

I have other motion sensors, etc that do not generate this alert. Only devices that are armed typically generate this alert, but donā€™t see a way to ā€œdisarmā€ netmon.

Thanks.

Ok, I see now that NetMon actually created motion sensor type devices with my defined device names. However, both are disarmed. If either device goes offline I donā€™t see an alert. When both devices go offline, I see the alert in the Vera dashboard.

@amg0 how can i check if a specific port is open ā€œis TCP port open 22ā€

Seems like a very useful plugin that I intend to try soon, but before I install it, may I ask a couple of basic questions?

1. What is the (practical) upper limit on the number of IP addresses to be pinged?

2. Can the addresses be entered in URL form (e.g. http://pbs.org) or only in IP octets (87.186.66.70)?

3. Iā€™m not certain how this plug-in can be leveraged so that it provides functionality surpassing that of, say, WOLPlusPing (which I use for both Wake-on-LAN and status updates) or SiteSensor (which also checks Web resource ā€œup/down timeā€)?

Anything @amg0 creates interests me! On the other hand, I am loath to install any plug-in until I know it replaces an older one somehow.

Thanks, guys.

• Libra