New ecobee3 thermostat should work with existing plugin

A work deadline has slowed my progress in updating the plugin for UI7, but by this time next week I should have an update. I don’t know how far it will get you, but if the problem is a lack of a “Get PIN” button, you could get past that by calling the Luup action GetPin on the main Ecobee device:

device_number = <MAIN DEVICE NUMBER HERE> luup.call_action("urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1", "GetPin", {}, device_number)

this will put the retrieved PIN in the message area in UI7 for you to enter at ecobee.com. There are other UI7 issues which I expect to improve in a week’s time (but also there are other UI7 issues over which I have no control).

watou

A work deadline has slowed my progress in updating the plugin for UI7, but by this time next week I should have an update. I don’t know how far it will get you, but if the problem is a lack of a “Get PIN” button, you could get past that by calling the Luup action GetPin on the main Ecobee device:

device_number = <MAIN DEVICE NUMBER HERE> luup.call_action("urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1", "GetPin", {}, device_number)

this will put the retrieved PIN in the message area in UI7 for you to enter at ecobee.com. There are other UI7 issues which I expect to improve in a week’s time (but also there are other UI7 issues over which I have no control).

watou[/quote]

I’m hoping they expose the remote temperature sensors for you to take advantage of as well. :wink:

Me too. I’m going to be installing an ecobee3 and 3 remote sensors in my mother’s house weekend after next, and I’m going to scour the JSON payload in hopes of seeing the remote sensor data from which to create more Vera devices.

watou

Me too. I’m going to be installing an ecobee3 and 3 remote sensors in my mother’s house weekend after next, and I’m going to scour the JSON payload in hopes of seeing the remote sensor data from which to create more Vera devices.

watou[/quote]

Awesome. They don’t even show them on their own web portal yet… :slight_smile:

Requesting some help…

I installed the Nest plugin to work with my Ecobee, based on the latest comments on this thread that the Ecobee web portal now supports the PIN functionality needed.

• When everyone refers to PIN functionality in the Ecobee portal, am I correct in that this is the Access Control feature? The PINs generated by the Ecobee plugin contain letters, and the Ecobee portal will only accept numbers. Am I doing something completely wrong here?
  • And if I enable it, will I need to use the PIN every time I change something on my thermostat outside of Vera as well?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

[quote=“Sig, post:45, topic:183055”]Requesting some help…

I installed the Nest plugin to work with my Ecobee, based on the latest comments on this thread that the Ecobee web portal now supports the PIN functionality needed.

1. Where in the Nest plugin to I tell it to go to ecobee.com instead of nest.com to login?
  2. When everyone refers to PIN functionality in the Ecobee portal, am I correct in that this is the Access Control feature? And if I enable it, I will need the PIN everytime I change something on my thermostat outside of Vera as well?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.[/quote]

Hi Sig, I might have confused matters by mentioning the Nest plugin in an earlier message. If so, I apologize. There is a separate plugin for the Ecobee thermostat here: [url=http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3586]MiOS Apps. On Vera UI5, there is a “Get PIN” pushbutton on the main device that’s created on plugin installation. Press that button and then go to the Ecobee portal and enter the PIN presented there. The plugin should then continue to create devices for the thermostat, humidity sensor and home/away switch device.

Also, the PIN referred to here is only to do with the authorization for the plugin to use the API against your ecobee.com account. The thermostat also has a completely different sort of PIN, if you want to use that feature, that locks people out from making changes at the physical thermostat itself. The plugin is not affected by this PIN.

On Vera UI7, I have a to-do for updating the plugin to work better with UI7, which I expect to get to in the next few days.

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
watou

Watou…

one quick question… I get 4 devices, including on that is for the GET PIN (which I already have). is that normal. Seems to be working fine.

Ugh - brain isn’t working today. Found it in the main menu on the side.

OK, so it’s all up and working - yahoo!!!

So now I have a couple of new questions…I have two thermostats, one in my primary home and the other in my weekend home. I installed the Ecobee plugin into Vera for my primary home but, to no surprise, it’s created controls for the thermostats in both homes.

1. If I add the plugin to Vera for my weekend home and create controls there, I’m assuming it will do the same thing, and I’ll end up with controls for both my primary and weekend home in my weekend home Vera interface. Does anyone know if that will create any issues?

2. Can I delete the devices for the weekend home out of my primary home vera interface, so that the controls for that home only remain? Will that screw something up and/or will the plugin always recreate them?

There should be no issues if either or both Veras show devices for all registered thermostats.

The plugin will re-create any devices that match the [tt]selectionType[/tt] and [tt]selectionMatch[/tt] device variables on the main Ecobee device. If you wanted the primary home Vera to only show devices for the thermostat in your primary home, you should be able to edit the device variables on the Advanced tab to match only one thermostat serial number. See the section in the README here: [url=http://watou.github.io/vera-ecobee/]http://watou.github.io/vera-ecobee/[/url] under the heading “Choosing which thermostats to monitor and control”. I.e., change [tt]selectionType[/tt] to [tt]thermostats[/tt] and [tt]selectionMatch[/tt] to the serial number of your thermostat.

watou

[quote=“tomgru, post:47, topic:183055”]Watou…

one quick question… I get 4 devices, including on that is for the GET PIN (which I already have). is that normal. Seems to be working fine.[/quote]

Yes, that’s normal. One device provides the thermostat controls, one shows the current relative humidity, and the third is a switch device to set the heat setpoint back and cool setpoint forward by the “quickSave” offsets set in the portal. This last device could be useful in automation to trigger an “away” mode. If the devices seem blank, you may need to refresh your browser or reload the Luup engine.

watou

There should be no issues if either or both Veras show devices for all registered thermostats.

The plugin will re-create any devices that match the [tt]selectionType[/tt] and [tt]selectionMatch[/tt] device variables on the main Ecobee device. If you wanted the primary home Vera to only show devices for the thermostat in your primary home, you should be able to edit the device variables on the Advanced tab to match only one thermostat serial number. See the section in the README here: [url=http://watou.github.io/vera-ecobee/]http://watou.github.io/vera-ecobee/[/url] under the heading “Choosing which thermostats to monitor and control”. I.e., change [tt]selectionType[/tt] to [tt]thermostats[/tt] and [tt]selectionMatch[/tt] to the serial number of your thermostat.

watou[/quote]

Worked like a charm…thanks again!!!

So I’m noticing some behavior with the plugin regarding thermostat setpoints. I have a scene that I run when I’m leaving my house for an extended period to travel (essentially vacation mode).

I’ve modified the scene now that I have my Ecobee incorporated to change the heat & cool setpoints. In every scenario I’ve attempted, only the Cool setpoint change is taking - the heat setpoint is not changing. I’ve tried using different delays and setting one at a time in sequence with no success.

Curious if anyone has any ideas about this.

[quote=“Sig, post:52, topic:183055”]So I’m noticing some behavior with the plugin regarding thermostat setpoints. I have a scene that I run when I’m leaving my house for an extended period to travel (essentially vacation mode).

I’ve modified the scene now that I have my Ecobee incorporated to change the heat & cool setpoints. In every scenario I’ve attempted, only the Cool setpoint change is taking - the heat setpoint is not changing. I’ve tried using different delays and setting one at a time in sequence with no success.

Curious if anyone has any ideas about this.[/quote]

It’s possible that the plugin is getting confused about setpoint states, because this sounds similar to a problem that existed in the Nest plugin. I don’t have time to diagnose it at the moment (I should be doing paying work right now!). But I do have a suggestion that you try using the home/away switch device in your automation (works like a light switch), and setting the QuickSave relative set-back and set-forward offsets in the portal. When you switch to away mode, the cool and heat setpoints should offset as intended.

watou

Thanks @watou.

I understand your recommendation, and it was initially how I had planned to setup my thermostat. Unfortunately, because of the auto-away and auto-home override feature (they call it “Follow me”), and because my cool/heat setpoints are much wider when I’m away from my home for an extended period, that causes a headache. If I use the inherent “away” setting as my “vacation” or “away for extended period” setting, then those setpoints kick in when I’m actually home, but just out of the house. That then allows my home to heat up or cool down to a more extreme point that I don’t want when I’m generally at home (i.e. in town), if that makes sense. I even created a new “Comfort Setting” called “Out of the house” to replace the inherent Away comfort setting. That works just fine - I can incorporate it into a daily schedule with less extreme setpoints. However, when the auto-away function kicks in because I’ve left the house during a time when my schedule otherwise indicates I would be home, it jumps to the “Away” comfort setting and won’t use my newly-defined “Out of the house” setting instead. So then my house gets very warm or very cool when I’ve only just stepped out for a few hours.

I’ve submitted an enhancement request to Ecobee to provide an ad-hoc vacation mode that doesn’t require you to actually schedule a start and stop date. This would be ideal, and would mimic the functionality we had in the Trane with the ESM Mode. That way, I could just flip the thermostat into vacation mode, with appropriate setpoints, and not worry about it. Another option would be to allow you to specify which comfort setting the follow-me feature uses when it automatically overrides into home or away mode.

So all in all, it’s a great thermostat, but still needs a few tweaks to be as flexible as I think we would all prefer, especially in using with Vera.

Installed Ecobee pugin however get pin error out stating: Lua Startup Failure Can’t Detect Device. Any update to get PIN with UI7? Thanks!!

Now that the new firmware for UI7 came out a week ago, I can registered my pin number at ecobee.com and the vera sees the thermostat. It gives the correct temp and humidity, but I cannot change the temperature in the vera. Anyone else have this problem??

Well, it’s gotten fairly cold here in Washington this past week, and the unit is not bringing the house up to temp BY the set wakeup time. My wife (not happy) thinks it’s coming on at 6am, when it should be at the correct temp by then.

I have “heating smart recovery” enabled.

One thing to note, I also fairly consistently get warning that my aux heat is on for longer than 180 minutes (what I have that threshold set at). I’ve talked to both tech support as well as my retired installer on this second issue - Both think it’s normal.

I’m starting to really wonder if I wired it correctly, as I had to remove an existing Honeywell equipment module and rewire everything directly to the single stage heat pump and two stage furnace directly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

I have a Honeywell Lyric. Ecobee requires a C wire (no extra wires in my apartment), though I had an SI at my previous house. I got a Nest, but it failed, as my furnace was not compatible with the power sipping feature it uses (my fan would turn off while the flame and/or compressor continued running).

Since their latest update, the Lyric maintains Wi-Fi (yes, they billed this as a feature enhancement… ugh!). It lacks in the reporting area (no historic trending), though I use a Netatmo to do that for me. It would be great if the Lyric had an app for the Vera.

I’m super busy at the moment, so I do not have the time to learn the APIs for Lyric or Vera. Just wanted others to understand the compatibility potential that Lyric has in some unique situations. If anyone is interested in developing a Vera app for it, I’d be happy to test it. Else, I may have time to develop one myself in a few months.

The new ecobee3 comes with a Power Extender Kit (PEK) if you don’t have five wires. It’s a small device that has five wires at the furnace control board, and connects to only four wires up to the thermostat. So if you can use the PEK, the thermostat doesn’t need a C wire. See [url=http://shop.ecobee.com/products/ecobee-3]http://shop.ecobee.com/products/ecobee-3[/url].

watou

Hi downgraded my firmware to UI5 and the plug-in (as well as several others) works just fine. I have the Thermostat, Humidity, and the event (Away/Home) devices. Hooray!

My intent was to set the thermostat to Away as soon as I arm the alarm system. However, I found that the Away effectively is a temperature hold to lowest setting; not the same as selecting Away on the thermostat. Home on the plugin cancels the temperature hold (no matter if temp was set on thermostat device or with Away).

Would this be possible to have Away and Home do the same as those functions on the thermostat?

I would like to use geofencing for when I get back home to put the thermostat in Home mode. IFTTT to a Wemo switch and use of Wemo plugin to detect switch state to command Home with the Ecobee plugin.