New competitor coming to Home Depot - wink goes mainstream

Interesting that it will also support zwave and zigbee.

Yet another…

This industry or market space is presently far too fractured with disparate and proprietary competitors all trying to establish their own walled gardens. The space needs a major consolidation and/or a serious competitor that is willing to embrace interoperability. I see Vera and Fibaro as having a huge opportunity at the moment. We’ll see if they take advantage of it.

/Self musing. Why not Homeseer? I suppose that they could, but after years in the market, they have yet to display the drive needed to really penetrate.

I can see the strategy of trying to bring someone in under $100… hoping to drive their other purchases to the ‘enabled’ product space.

but as you pointed out… yet another guest to the party

Deleted

I look at it this way. Competition is always good, both in terms of driving innovation, but also usually driving standards (although sometimes the latter can take awhile). What’s why I appreciate this device utilizing most protocols.

The fact that the big consumer retail locations (Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, etch) are all starting to carry this stuff will make it more mainstream, albeit at the low end. I love that I can source some of my (GE) stiff from the local Lowes, and at a lower price to boot!

But the point made earlier is key. WHO will be the one to come to the forefront with the best controller solution that is plugNplay? MiOS is in a great place to do this, at least in terms of IP and plugins, but unsure if they have the “backing” to make it happen.

Time will tell, both in terms of who the winners will be, and if WE all made the right decision going with Zwave ::slight_smile:

You just described one of the compelling reasons to go with HomeSeer HS3. You can now load the software on your choice of hardware (or virtual machine) and choice of OS (Linux or Windows). You can choose to make the hardware as simple and low power as possible, or as beefy and redundant as you want, or somewhere in between. The key is it’s your choice.

In order to truly compete and actually make a dent, the price range needs to be in the same realm. The average joe blow isn’t going to pay 500 bucks for a unit when he can get it for 100 albeit with a subscription but again he may not know that there is other options out there. Everyone is pushing home control with a subscription and that is all the average buyer is seeing. Market a 200 dollar unit that isn’t subscription based and does the same thing and actually get it into brick and mortar… Well then you have something that is comparable.

Deleted

FYI Home Depot has a coupon to get Wink for 99 cents when you purchase two Wink products, or get Wink for $24.99 if you purchase one compatible product. The Kiddie Smoke/CO2 detectors looked pretty nice. The coupon was available at the end of aisle display, expires 9/3/14.

Since Vera even on UI7 still does not seem to support the ZSMOKE and SCOMBO smoke detectors I contemplated getting 2 of the Kidde ones that work with Wink and take advantage of the $0.99 offer on teh Wink hub. Unfortunately, unlike the First Alert Photoelectric zwave models, the Kidde ones seem to be ionization models.

Check this 2012 item http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/49279732#49279732 with the confirmation here http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-07/business/hc-bottom-line-smoke-alarms-20130907_1_alarms-ionization-smoke-detector

Pity.

[quote=“BOFH, post:10, topic:181707”]Since Vera even on UI7 still does not seem to support the ZSMOKE and SCOMBO smoke detectors I contemplated getting 2 of the Kidde ones that work with Wink and take advantage of the $0.99 offer on teh Wink hub. Unfortunately, unlike the First Alert Photoelectric zwave models, the Kidde ones seem to be ionization models.

Check this 2012 item http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/49279732#49279732 with the confirmation here http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-07/business/hc-bottom-line-smoke-alarms-20130907_1_alarms-ionization-smoke-detector

Pity.[/quote]

That was disturbing. I need to buy new detectors, thanks for the heads up.