New and confused....

I just bought the Vera because a)revolv just got mothballed and b)the new shiny vera marketing site says the vera 3 supports insteon.

I guess i should have come looked here (but the forum sign-up was so hard i never bothered) - am i right in thinking from all these posts that the native Vera Insteon support is so limited it isn’t worth bothering with?

i have ~ 30 lights switches some in 2 and 3 pole configurations (link responders and controllers) along with the garage linc and water sensors and door sensors (and yes i have the PLM)

So far i have been unable to add anything to the Vera - i got to the point in UI5 and UI7 that it says to press the set button on my device - i do this say on a light switch and nothing happens in the UI5 or UI7. I also have a few z-wave switches. The Phillips hue and some z-wave locks. Revolv works (worked?) with all of them

1. can someone give me good instructions on how to add insteon devices - because the instructions in the interface seem to be as useful as chocolate teapot.
  2. can someone help me understand if i should just send this back and focus on some other device
  3. should i use the ISY plugin (why is this not in the app store and buried away here in the forum) and get an ISY
  4. how can the micasa folks claim insteon support when it appears broken and incomplete
  5. why does each hue device appear multiple times - once as a device with presets and once as a device with on/off

and lastly why is registering and posting on this site to bloody awful - i never get the verification right the first time - someone is over paranoid to the point of destroying usability… for example the worlds large mammal is a blue whale

The forum verification goes away after you post a few times, there were major spam problems before that was implemented.

All of my lighting devices are Insteon, I currently use the Altsteon plugin to control them and it works great (although future development may not happen). The ISY plugin seems to offer even more functionality, but at an added cost. With newer Insteon devices there is no need to press the set button, Altsteon and the ISY can link devices remotely if you know the address.

I can’t help you with the built-in support since I never used it. I have FanLinc devices that doesn’t work with the built-in support.

I have two Vera3 system using Insteon Native support and it works great - i have 2 GarageLinc, 15+ lights including KeypadLinc (limited support) - yes there is no support for FanLinc or sensorns but the lights work OK - i had my system for about 4 years - every year I but one or more switches Zwave or Insteon to expand my system. Don’t bother with the new firmaware UI6 or UI7

The easiest way to link Insteon is to press the the link bottom on you PLM and the device you want to link - do not use the software

regards
Harry