Neo Coolcam Motion Sensor not recognized as Motion Sensor neither door/window

Thanks, this is then a good situation for me, because it is as I have them.

So, probably the problem is that one of the device id is the parent (or child, I don’t remember) of the example one. As, for the time being, I don’t want to delete the example ones, what I will do is to change the duplicated id in the example one and look them if the real one works.

I will come here later one, when I will be able to do the test.

Thanks for all your ideas and help.

Javier

So you have some example / demo devices in Vera by the sounds of it.

Never heard of that before.

Yes, I just installed my new VERA Edge, the first thing it did was ask me for an account based on the s/n and mac of the device and, later on, it started to update it to the latest software.

After that I connected again via the web GUI, and in the Dashboard, Devices, there are a couple of devices already defined. They doesn’t exists, because I have not paired mines, but there they are, one Motion Sensor and one Door/Window sensor.

What I didn’t do yet is to look at the manufacturer parameter and try to find which brand they are.

Then, I tried to pair my new NEO device, and from there on, the story is what I have told here. It was recognized?. as Generic Z-wave device, even I tried to pair them as the ones that are mor similar to them, Fibaro and, after read another posts, Dom…

And that’s all. For the time being, the Motion sensor works OK, after having followed your guidance, but Door/Window doesn’t. I will try to do some additional changes tomorrow and will come back with it.

Regards.

Javier

I have never seen or heard of example / demo devices appearing on a new Vera unit.

Are you sure it’s a brand new Vera unit and not recon / second hand or something ?

I recently installed a brand new Vera Plus unit and there was no demo devices on that, as I recall.

Well? good question :wink: for which I don’t have a good answer being sure of it? ???

I have been told it is a brand new one and looking to the way it was boxed, with some of the included things (as the ethernet cable) sealed, the device itself in a “like new” plastic envelop, etc. etc., at least it seems to be coming directly from manufacturing, reconditioned or not? who knows?.

The only way to know it I think it is doing a “factory reset” and looking if after it the result is te same I have now, but? for the time being I don’t feel to do it, the examples seems to be of use for me. Or to have a list of s/n and manufactured time… but, again?.

Anyway, the possibility that you are right exists, because the number 25, 26 of some of the paired devices are to high for a new one? but I cannot say for sure, because when I saw that the Motion sensor was not recognized as due, I unpaired it and tried several times with other brand, so, probably the id increase with each new device paired and do not decrease when any of them are unpaired?. So, too late to use this approach.

Regards.

Javier

Yes the device id numbers just keep on increasing. I am up to 250 odd devices according to the number but I have about 80 maybe in actual fact. Over the years of adding and removing devices the number has just kept increasing.

Depends where you purchased the unit from?

You could do a factory reset and start again to be sure.

I finally thought about a way to understand how and when the “example” devices were created, and the manufacturer is blank in all of them. Maybe the altid says something, but I found the “time created” parameter, and there are interesting findings there. The time of creation of the THREE (yes, there are three) examples and my real ones are quite similar. In order to lower figure to highest they are:

Device# Name Example? altid Time created
25 MY door sensor NO, it is mine 9 1528529921
25/26 Door Sensor YES b10 1528529924
27 MY motion sensor NO, it is mine 7 1528530248
27/29 Motion Sensor YES b12 1528530252
27/28 Light Sensor YES m3 1528530252 (yes, same timestamp)

Looking at it my question is: might it be that the devices 25/26 was the real pairing of my NEO Door sensor and the 27/29 and 27/28 were the real pairing of my NEO motion sensor (that I feel it is really a motion/light sensor)???

I am saying they were examples because they were something I really didn’t do and what I saw as result of the pairing were the Z-Wave Generic device with only ON/OFF and the name I was giving to it in the pairing process. And then why the new “Generic Z-Wave” device with the device name I gave in the pairing process came???

To be honest, your comment about “No examples seen” and the coincidence of device id# and timestamps are giving to me reasons for thinking about it. Are possibly the devices 27/29, 25/26 and 27/28 (parent/child) the real ones installed and paired, even they didn’t take the name I did in the pairing process?

More investigation done. The “local-udn” parameter, that seems to be tighted to the devices themselves, is a long parameter, identical in all the five devices except one of the ?hexadecimal? digit in the fourth group of digits (for digits), so, again, it points to be devices generated when the new NEO ones were paired? but, again, what about the “generic one” and which one has to be controlled, the ones that took the name I defined in pairing or the other with a “standard name” ones?

I have to do some tests tomorrow, for the time being it is time to some relax.

Regards.

Javier

The time stamps are Unix time you can convert them here

1528668469 = 06/10/2018 @ 10:07pm (UTC)

My version 2 Neo Coolcam motion sensor created 4 devices.

1. Generic IO parent
  2. Motion Sensor child device
  3. Lux sensor
  4. Temp sensor

So, the time stamps and a further read to your ref. post and previous ones give me the answer (I believe):

The “Generic devices” created with the name I gave are the “parents”, and the other ones are the “child” devices. What is strange is that the parent only permits on/off and the ones that can be armed/disarmed are the childs, so, I could maintain the parent as it was (generic, on/off) and use the childs (not to convert invisible) for detecting and sending alarms?.

Work for tomorrow to be done…

Javier

On the Neo Coolcam motion sensor yes the parent device is the Generic IO device the one with the On/Off buttons.

And one of its child devices is the “motion sensor” type device.

However really this is incorrect.

The advantage of hiding the child device and modify the parent device to be the “motion sensor” type device is that you then end up with one single device, that is both the parent and the motion sensor and also it displays the battery status level in the UI7 GUI and in mobile control apps like Imperihome.

So now for the Neo Coolcam motion sensor I only have 3 devices.

1. Parent (Modified) Motion Sensor device with battery status.
  2. Lux sensor
  3. Temp sensor

The 4th child motion sensor device is now hidden and not required.

The attached screen shot is showing the Neo Coolcam motion sensor device in my Kitchen room.

One modified parent device that is now the motion sensor, previously it was the Generic IO device with the ON/OFF buttons.

And two child devices LUX and Temp etc.

The other child device that was the motion sensor originally has been hidden as its not needed.

Loud and clear ! :smiley:

I feel I start to understand everything now?. Again, work to do tomorrow, as the door sensor was not working when I installed it.
And the new version of the NEO Motion only have 2 devices, motion and lux, temperature is gone.

Your help was really very valuable, I will write down some notes in order not to forget what I learnt, not only the way to install, but also some apps I discovered reading your posts.

Thanks again and I will come back when I will test again the door sensor.

Regards.

Javier

Here is the same modified parent motion sensor device in the Imperihome app.

If you use the child motion sensor device instead, you will not have the battery status present at all.

Hi, cw-kid.

Could you also have a look to this topic:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,85521.0.html

for the case you could also have an idea of help on it as you did for me in this one?

Kind regards.

I don’t use Vera’s own inbuilt notification system as I use the 3rd party plugin called “Vera Alerts”.

I’d have to test the instructions you were given on the other thread to see if they work?

You could also as a tesy, unplug a plug in Z-Wave device if you have any? like an appliance plug or dimmer plug, to see if Vera sends you a notification about it not being reachable.

I also have the Vera Alerts plugin, and then Pushover, but I don’t get a push alert for a device I got out the battery or when the controller is offline.

And, no, I don’t have any plug device as an appliance device to test with?.

Thanks again.

regards.
javier

I just turned on the setting “Device Error Alert (a device in your Vera is not working properly)” and unplugged a device.

Waiting now to see if I get any notification ?

I saw it in the other topic, thanks.

Could you please try to do the same test putting offline (disconnecting from te network, for instance) the Vera controller and see if you get any alert? with sound?

Thanks.

Javier