Need to disregard contact closures

OK, I don’t use Vera. I set one up in my mothers house to do simple things for her. Now I wanna monitor her washer/dryer so Vera can send her a notification when they are complete.
I have a couple N.O. contact closures that I want to use. I have them connected and are working fine.
How do I set a scene to monitor for wash cycles??
In the system I use it’s simple, When the current switch trips, I then monitor for it to open. When it opens, I set a timer for 3 minutes. When the timer ends it checks the status of the switch. If the switch is still tripped, the cycle repeats. So at the worst, I know the wash is done 3 minutes after it actually is.
How do I do this with Vera? I saw some posts about PLEG, don’t really wanna buy anything else and I really don’t want to have to learn a whole lot about Vera if I don’t have to. this should be simple.

Maybe I should try something easier.
How do I tell Vera to check the state of an input?

[quote=“Frunple, post:2, topic:182737”]Maybe I should try something easier.
How do I tell Vera to check the state of an input?[/quote]

The simple way is to set up a scene and define a trigger for the device that you want to check. See Creating Scenes. You can add additional conditions and timing using Lua code. See Conditional Scene Execution.