Need someone with networking knowledge

I have two directv receivers and a Samsung smart tv on a secondary network in my house.

My main network’s ip is 192.168.1.1 my secondary network’s (connected router to router lan to wan) ip is 172.16.0.1, the devices above are under the secondary network.

I did this because I wanted only those devices behind a VPN. Both routers are Linksys e4200’s running ddwrt.

My Vera is connected to the main network in my house. Is there anyway for my vera to see those devices under the 172 network?

Thanks for any help

Can you elaborate on why you did this?

a poor Canadian looking to enjoy some US content!

Basically, on the router on your main network (192.168.1.x) you’ll have to create an entry in the routing table that points to the 192.168.1.x IP gateway address for your secondary router (Basically it’s WAN port). That entry should direct any traffic for the 172.16.0.x network to that IP address.

A good starting point would be [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes[/url]

I’ll check that out tonight, thanks for the guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are called Static Routes. If you are using your primary router’s DHCP server to assign the secondary router’s WAN IP address, then your secondary network will become unreachable when that IP address changes.

If you are assigning that address via DHCP, then go into the DHCP Server configuration of the primary router and create a Static Reservation for your secondary router’s WAN interface MAC address. You should be able to see it’s MAC by looking at the current DHCP leases and finding the IP that is currently assigned to that WAN interface, or by looking at the status on your Secondary router.

[quote=“BOFH, post:4, topic:179939”]Basically, on the router on your main network (192.168.1.x) you’ll have to create an entry in the routing table that points to the 192.168.1.x IP gateway address for your secondary router (Basically it’s WAN port). That entry should direct any traffic for the 172.16.0.x network to that IP address.

A good starting point would be [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes[/url][/quote]

So I got this to work… kind of.

I followed the instructions and i’m now able to use the Directv app on my iPhone (connected to my main network) to control my receiver which is connected to the VPN network However… that’s the only device i’m able to see. The directv app wont see my second receiver and the Samsung ios app wont see my Samsung tv.

If I switch the wifi network on my iPhone over to the vpn network then I can see all devices.

what’s even weirder is that Vera (connected to my main network) cant see any of the above device’s on my vpn network… not even the directv receiver that I was able to see on my phone (again connected to my main network)

Here’s my info

VPN router Wan ip - 192.168.1.126 (I did create a static IP for it in router 1, like OtisPreslsy advised)
VPN router Lan ip - 172.16.0.1

Router 1 Advanced routing config

##Destination LAN NET - 172.16.0.0
##Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
##Gateway - 192.168.1.126
##Interface - LAN&WAN

Router 2 Firewall command

Allow everything to be forwarded through the router

iptables -I FORWARD -j ACCEPT

Does that look right? I mean its working but i’m only able to see 1 device behind the VPN router??

The instruction I didn’t follow was to set the operating mode of the VPN router to “Router” instead of gateway. The reason I left it as gateway is because setting it to router caused me to lose internet connection on the VPN router.

Thanks for any advice

You are going to want to make sure that NAT/PAT is not enabled on the second router, not sure if you can while it is in gateway mode or not. You do not need it when both of your networks are in the private address, or public address space. NAT/PAT is only used when you are connecting a private network to a public network, or when the number of IP addresses available to you is not enough for the number of devices you have. NAT/PAT would make things more difficult for you because there needs to be a translation (PAT) entry for every TCP/UDP port or range of ports that would be initiated from behind the WAN interface. If you must have NAT/PAT turned on, then you will need a translation that includes both TCP ad UDP and ports 1-65535 to allow everything. I am not familiar with DD-WRT, so I am not sure what features may be enabled/disabled between gateway and router modes. You may also want to try temporarily turning the firewall off to see if it makes any difference.

Your static route looks correct, but you will want to verify your Subnet Mask to make sure that it is actually 255.255.255.0 on your devices and not 255.255.0.0, which is the native Class B mask that the 172.16.0.0 IP network would fall under. This means that anything that had an address of 172.16.0.x would be reachable but if it was say 172.16.1.x, or higher, it would not be reachable with that static route.

In router mode, you may have to check your routing table to make sure you have a default route that points to your primary router; this route says that any destination not in the routing table should be forwarded to this address (your primary router). If not, then that is why nothing worked before. To add one just enter:

##Destination LAN NET - 0.0.0.0
##Subnet Mask - 0.0.0.0
##Gateway - 192.168.1.1
##Interface - LAN&WAN

The only issue with having DirecTV receivers on a different subnet is that you cannot stream all the live channels. If you cannot manually add the IP address of a device in any of your apps, then you must be on the same subnet for it to be discovered. The reason is that the automatic discovery function uses broadcasts, and they are not forwarded by a router. This would explain why you could see them when you were connected to your VPN router but not when you were connected to your primary router.

Wow Otis thank you very much for this write up. So just to provide an update I am able to see both my directv receivers now within the directv app… I had to manually add the second receivers IP… The main receiver showed up automatically. They are both also showing up within the plugin for vera. The samsung tv however is not showing up in both the iOS app or the Vera plugin. The samsung iOS app doesn’t give an option to type in an IP address.

I will try and mess around tonight using your write up as a guide… Again, thank you very much

@rsoares28, did you get everything worked out?

[quote=“rsoares28, post:9, topic:179939”]Wow Otis thank you very much for this write up. So just to provide an update I am able to see both my directv receivers now within the directv app… I had to manually add the second receivers IP… The main receiver showed up automatically. They are both also showing up within the plugin for vera. The samsung tv however is not showing up in both the iOS app or the Vera plugin. The samsung iOS app doesn’t give an option to type in an IP address.

I will try and mess around tonight using your write up as a guide… Again, thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I can see both my directv receivers from my main network but the samsung tv won’t show up… I have to be on my VPN network to see it. Very weird…

Can’t figure out what’s the difference between the Tv and the receivers.

Also when I disable nat on the VPN router by changing it from gateway to router I lose internet connection… I also confirmed the firewall on the VPN router has been disable

Not sure what else to do

I am not familiar with how the Samsung TVs communicate over IP, but if a device uses UPnP, then it will have to be forwarded by your router and not all routers have the ability to forward UPnP

I found the Samsung SmartView app on the iTunes store, and it states: To use this application, TV and mobile device should be connected within the same network(AP).

[quote=“rsoares28, post:11, topic:179939”]I can see both my directv receivers from my main network but the samsung tv won’t show up… I have to be on my VPN network to see it. Very weird…

Can’t figure out what’s the difference between the Tv and the receivers.

Also when I disable nat on the VPN router by changing it from gateway to router I lose internet connection… I also confirmed the firewall on the VPN router has been disable

Not sure what else to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Here is another option for you and one that I use at home. Since you are using DD-WRT, you can employ the use of Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN’s). Here is the DD-WRT support document on it: [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support[/url].

Basically, this takes your network and divides it into multiple smaller networks. This is at layer 2 and so uses VLAN Identifiers to uniquely identify each VLAN. You have Access ports and Trunk ports. Access ports connect to a device and are assigned a VLAN ID to be part of. Trunk ports connect 2 switches together and carry traffic for multiple VLAN’s. You can have both wired and wireless clients in the same VLAN.

In this scenario, you would configure a link between your 2 routers as a trunk to carry both of your VLANs. One VLAN for your wireless network on RouterA and one for your wireless network on RouterB. Refer to this documentation for the configuration of multiple VLAN’s with wireless and internet on DD-WRT: [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_each_with_Wireless_and_Internet]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_each_with_Wireless_and_Internet[/url]

On the wired side, you can assign each port on the same device to a different VLAN if you wish. On the routing side, you only have to worry about routing between VLAN’s by assigning a layer 3 interface to be the default gateway for each VLAN.

This setup is much more complex but allows you more flexibility with where you can connect devices. With your setup, it won’t change much for wireless but will allow you to connect wired devices anywhere and still participate in the proper network, which would be ideal for your TV that has to be in the same network as your phone.

I connect multiple remote networks by using tinc on the routers or servers (and sometimes in a local lan that nas no support for vlan), and everything appears as being in one big lan if configured so. You could install tinc on vera and on one of the routers and use a few firewall filters to allow/deny access to devices. Tinc provides a new virtual network interface and all traffic is encrypted between the nodes. Simple put it’s a mesh vpn (supports one to one, one to many and many to many connections) with route learning and discovery (if node A can connect to B and node B can connect to C, and A can talk to C, and a direct route is available from A to C, a new tunnel A-C can be created automatically).

Wow ok my heads spinning! Thanks for all the advice… I’ve decided to give up on the TV… It’s the only device I can’t see and adding it to Vera is more of a novelty as opposed to having any legitimate functions.

This forum is awesome, thanks guys