My Veralite is very slow - how to debug ?

Dont know if it is right to respond to this topic after such a long time but since a few weeks my vera lite is very slow.
I added some standard switches but how can i find out what is causing this.
I do have a lot of scenes.

I have three plugins installed.
GE Caddx NetworX Alarm Panels Plugin
Virtual ON/OFF Switches
Day or Night
Dutch smartmeter plugin
Log file viewer plugin

I had some others installed some time ago and i removed them. But i can see in the luup files on the develop apps section that the xml and json are still present on my vera lite.

Mine is still slow. Tried everything suggested. I have just learned to live with it and power cycle it every once in a while.

Too bad, I have lots of people asking me for a recommendation for home automation and I cannot, with a clear conscious, recommend Vera. This is just as bad, if not worse than X10 was. When will these guys realize reliability and stability has to be job #1. Sad indeed. :cry:

Sure wish someone from Vera would step up and tell us how to troubleshoot instead of just saying disable a plugin. I have even had them dial into it with no results.

Pretty soon I am going to try a PC based solution. I can’t recommend that to people either as it looks more complicated to set up.

It is no wonder that Z-Wave isn’t really taking off.

Mike

I agree it’s not easy to identify the cause of slowlyness…
I also had my VeraLite slow multiple times… and was never sure what’s make it fast again… Reboot of the Vera, shutdown house power to reset all zwave device (including in-wall) ; remove plugin ; …

I’m thinking more and more to start again from scratch because in more than one year I did a lots of test of every kind…
Trying to make a plugin, and object, install incompatible device, editing xml files, installing (beta) pluggin…
But it looks like a huge job… It the from scratch is the best solution, I will probably wait for the Vera Pro being available.

I think a kind of detailed guide to cleanup a Vera should be very usefull… I mean a cleanup, not a factory default. For example I had a lot of issue with Datamine… Now i’ts uninstalled and don’t work if I installed it back… I found datamine folder in the main memory of the Vera… I’m not sure if I can delete this folder.

Good luck to eveyrbody having a slow Vera/Zwave network
Thanks to anybody helping us !!

The single most important thing you can do to speed up Vera is to install a USB memory stick to be used as a drive for saving Log files.

I am starting to have the same problem, it was previously not a problem for me and suddenly I am getting restarts and slowness. I put a USB for logging and I am still having the problem. I agree with @Thomasss because starting from scratch with a lot of devices, scenes and PLEG actions it could be a pain.

I am also having and issue where my dimmers, with instant status, sometimes does not report the status to Vera, failing as triggers to actions or PLEG, but in the heal report they appear to have a good strength. I am also thinking about an external antenna for my VeraLite.

That had not been suggested to me before. A link to instructions on how to do that would be awesome.

Did you check the options under Setup->Z-Wave Settings?
If not already checked, you should try checking (enabling) the two options for ‘Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)’ and ‘Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requires Vera routing)’ options.
My Veralite was really slow too. I think it’s because I had some battery powered motion sensors and door locks that weren’t always “awake” and probably slowing up my network. I noticed a lot of my devices had AllRoutesFailed=1 in the Device Options. But after I enabled these two options and did a full heal of the network, everything started responding really quick. Perfect now. 8)

[quote=“kyb2012, post:27, topic:171482”]Did you check the options under Setup->Z-Wave Settings?
If not already checked, you should try checking (enabling) the two options for ‘Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)’ and ‘Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requires Vera routing)’ options.
My Veralite was really slow too. I think it’s because I had some battery powered motion sensors and door locks that weren’t always “awake” and probably slowing up my network. I noticed a lot of my devices had AllRoutesFailed=1 in the Device Options. But after I enabled these two options and did a full heal of the network, everything started responding really quick. Perfect now. 8)[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try that.

how to add usb to vera

quote from this link : http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Store_logs_USB
Be carefull if already using Datamine because it can conflict with USB logging.

Thank for the tip above (limit neighbors, …) but I think it’s enabled by default… will check that tonight.

UI5

Select "Setup"
Select the "Logs"tab
Activate the "Store logs on USB device*" option and READ the text there: 

Please connect an USB drive first then check the checkbox. 
WARNING: The USB drive will be erased. Wait 20 minutes after clicking OK. 
Status 

Click the "OK" button. 

Wait until vera reports progress.

If MiOS reports “FAILURE”, repeat the process. If MiOS reports Success, you are done.

I’m experiencing similar issues. I hope we come up with a solution, because otherwise the system is pretty much unusable. :frowning:

My six device Z-wave network has worked like a wonder since I installed it two weeks ago. Today however, I noticed that all features requiring transmissions had suddenly turned super slow.

I only have a few Fibaro switches and dimmers, a Z-wave.me switch, an Everspring motion detector. If I control the swithces/dimmers locally, they work immediatelly, but if I control them through the web GUI or through scenes, there is a random (5s-30s) delay :confused:

I have no apps/plugins installed. I have tried repairing the network and rebooting Vera Lite, but it didn’t help.

I’m very new to this so I’d be very thankful for all advice!
(I just posted on a separate thread an deleted it, as it’s better to continue the discussion here)

How about looking into your log files to try to figure out what vera is doing during these delays? Anything special in there?

I haven’t found the logs. When pressing the log link in the web gui I seem to be taken to a general logging page with no logs in it…
But that’s just me being a noob. I’ll find them. I was planning on trying the logs to usb hint next anyways so I might as well try to understand the logs while at it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Open this link in your browser (enter your vera’s ip address), then execute the scene:
http://vera_ip/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

Or install the latest version of this plugin:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13477.0.html

My Vera 3 has been slow for a while now, it takes 10-30 seconds for Z-wave commands to go out, though sometimes there’s no delay. I recently had a little time to look further into this.

My setup:

• Vera 3, 50 z-wave devices or so.
  • Only a few plugins: virtual switch, combination switch, hue plugin, Vera alerts, foscam
  • No ergy
  • Memory stick for logging added

What I noticed:

• Vera reacts instantly to incoming stuff: scene controllers, sensors sending updates etc. Evidenced by the log and scenes being kicked off
  • Vera itself is not slow, and always performs any non z-wave related task promptly. Example: click a Minimote to start a scene containing Z-wave lamps and Hue lamps. The Hue lamps respond instantly, the Z-wave lamps suffer the usual delays.
  • Kicking off Z-wave related tasks like inclusion or configuring devices suffer from the same delay.
  • In scenes with multiple Z-wave devices, there is no delay once the first device reacts; there’s only an initial delay, after that all z-wave devices respond promptly.
  • The logs show no evidence of anything causing this delay.

It looks like Vera has trouble initiating Z-wave transmissions, though receiving data is processed instantly. It is certainly not Vera itself which is running slowly.

@intveltr - How long has this been occurring? You recently had an incident after downgrading your Z-Wave version and running a heal, is this related in any way to that incident?

What you describe sounds similar to a blocking situation when a bad route is encountered. In those scenarios, Vera sends a command via a bad route and waits for a response. The response never comes and Vera’s wait times out, at which point it sends the command by a different route and everything works.

Your description also suggests that this happens to most devices, not just a select few. If that is the case, then my guess(and it’s only a guess) would be that Vera is at the edge of your Z-Wave network. If you look at the diagram below, you’ll note that the route to/through Node2 is strong, but it’s actually not a good route to the rest of the network. The route to/through Node3 isn’t as strong, so Vera might not choose it first, but it is the only way to reliably reach most of the network.

If this is your issue, you’ll need to adjust the routing. Here are a few choices to do so:

1. Manual routes. Impractical for so many nodes.
  2. Get luck with heal operations.
  3. Move Vera closer to Node3.
  4. Install an intermediate node between Node2 and the rest of the network.

I’ve had this issue for some months :). It comes and goes.

Is there a way to recognise a bad route? My Vera sits in a pretty central spot in the house but I know there are a few hard to reach spots.

For starters I will try a heal

If you look at the AutoRoute field you’ll see stuff like this:
[tt]0-5x,2-15,3-18[/tt]

The above indicates that the strong(5) route from Vera(0) to the desired device(99) failed(x). The next strongest(15) route through Node2 has not yet failed. There is also a weaker(18) route through Node3.

But as described previously, it’s possible that the route through Node2, though seemingly strong, is intermittent. Which will cause a delay until Vera times out and tries the route through Node3.

Edit: In this fictitious case, entering 3 into the manual route field of device 99 would cause Vera to always use the route through Node3 and forgo the other routes. I say this, not as a recommendation, but for the sake of completeness. I would strongly recommend reading up and understanding the vagaries or Vera routing before trying manual routes and with 50 nodes, manual routes would be at the bottom of my list of resolution options. One or two devices, yes. Much more than that, relocate, add nodes…

Looks like there’s a few nodes with all routes failed. A heal didn’t fix this, which is strange because in the past these nodes could be reached by Vera directly (they aren’t that far away). Even some nodes that are very close (same room, direct line of sight) report crappy performance of the direct Vera->node route.

Maybe there’s an issue with the antenna, or there’s interference from nearby equipment (a WiFi router, a UPS and some switching power supplies)

Definitely seems a combination of interference and an outdated routing table. I moved Vera a bit and performed a heal, but this only fixed a few nodes.

Reading about network healing on the Vera Wiki, it seems that performing a regular heal (no Vera routing) on large Z-wave networks will often abort prematurely. I’ve enabled Vera routing again , disabled “limit neigbours to Z-wave discovery” and performed another heal. This one took almost 18 hours, but the network is now very fast, and even remote nodes show sensible and reliable routes.