My Vera (UI8?) Wish-list

I’ve used several different DIY Home Automation systems for the last 20 years…X-10, Insteon, and now Z-wave (Homeseer, Fibaro HC2, VeraPlus). Having used so many different systems, and now having had the Vera Plus since it shipped, I have suggestions on how it could be improved…not just a little bit, but to a level where it blows away the competition. Evey system has its pros and cons, but as I use my Vera, I find it very close to being great. But it’s not. Homeseer is much more powerful, but its ugly as hell, and very expensive if you add it up, especially where plugins come in. Fibaro HC2 had an attractive UI and improving mobile app, but its z-wave engine was crap even when it worked. (45-second delays, etc)

That being said, I’m a Vera newbie, but an Home Automation and Web Development veteran, and between the two, here is my Vera Wish List in no particular order:

Comment, agree/disagree, correct me if I’ve asked for something already there, etc. as you will. :slight_smile:

Here goes:

1) OAuth Authentication: It is now a widely used standard. Would allow for native integration with other products, such as…

2) Native Echo Support: Without a Bridge.

3) Native Nest Support: Vera should natively support ‘Works with Nest’

4) UI8 (or UI7.5):
a) Standardized Bootstrap 4 UI: Why wait for BSv4? Theme Support. (It’s in beta, )
b) Tighten some things up. The slider value should be to the right of the slider at all times, and with that, you eliminate wasted white space.
c) Same goes for the favorites star / button. Make it a triable overlay and tuck it up in the corner of each device.
d) For multi-sensor devices, find a way to incorporate them all into one single “display device” and hide the others for use in scenes, etc. (see #9 below).
e) There’s just so many ways to tweak the UI to make ir more economical on space while still being mobile-friendly. (I’ve designed several Bootstrap 3 Websites, so I speak from experience here.)

5) Work out back-end UI bugs: My Console Log is littered with errors. (Even 404s, which should just NEVER happen.)
a) Here are some of the ones I see most often:
1) 404 not found…http://IP_ADDRESS/cgi-bin/cmh/proxy.sh?ServerTYPE=Server_Device&ServerURL=device/device/device/XXXXXXXX/guestusers&rand=0.8090309981980528
2) Interface.view_dashboard() error: ReferenceError: capp is not defined
3) Interface.addSubmenuItemListener() error: ReferenceError: capp is not defined

6) Updated Documentation: Clean and clear Documentation on how to write support JS and XML files for new devices. Let the Vera Community help you.

7) Sections / Floor support: Would be useful for Large houses with large number of sensors or devices. (See next item.)

8 ) Drill-Down Device pages: Start with Section / Floors, then Rooms, then devices. If only one section / floor, eliminate this step. On mobile there’s WAY too much scrolling.

9) Hidden device support: Ability to easily hide devices or sensors that have no use in the interface. Example, RGB devices have several devices, but I can just control them via the main RGB device, or the RGB plugin. The other devices just get in the way. Alt-UI lets us do this…and there are hacks, but it should be easy to do from UI7. and just provide a filter to see all hidden devices if there’s a need to get one back to visible.

10) Allow for user-uploadable graphics / icons: My waterfall / pool pump is not a lightbulb. :slight_smile: Crate a nice, wide-ranging library or devices, but let users upload custom icons. (Maybe I want a simple Line drawn interface, but my neighbor likes full color pictures. Make us both happy. Could look great with BS 4 Theme support, if limited to PNG files with Alpha channel support.)

11) OTA firware support: Work with major vendors to support OTA firware updates through the UI.

12) Better all-around device support: I have Cooper Aspire wall switches throughout my house…not exactly an off-brand. There’s no native support. And if I want to add configuration parameters to them, I have to do so individually.

13) Advanced Mode: Many of these ideas may be above the intended knowledge or skill level for the mass market. That being said, keep the default interface simple for the mass-market, but allow the “power users” to get more out of theer Veras.

14) Local Login without portal: I need to be able to log in and configure my Vera locally if the portal (or my internet connection) is down.

15) Troubleshooting: Better explanation of common Z-wave errors, and how to troubleshoot them.

16) Shortcut to device deletion: Have to go through “Add Device” to get to “Remove Device”. Why?

17) WiFi Client Support: I don’t need the Vera to be another access point in the house. I need it to be a Wifi client so I don’t need to run a 100 foot cable to add a door lock.

18) Online Device Database: Include fully-supported devices (start with those add-device wizard) and populate it with the supported configuration parameters we should see with each device. Then, keep it updated with a changelog if support is improved with a new firmware version. Users shouldn’t have to scour the forums for outdated information and wonder if it still applies.

Um, it wasn’t going to be that long when I started typing…I promise. :slight_smile:

Sean Ford

Aside from wishing that it would -work-, I’d like to see some simple things:

• Forced user authentication, at least as an option. I don’t like the fact that if someone manages to access my WiFi or otherwise gain access to my home network, they’re ‘in’ and don’t need to auth to the system.
  • The WebUI “forces” me to wait for it to poll the system and present a page to me before I can click on another area and go somewhere else. I HATE this. I should be able to click and have the system immediately move to the area where I want to go.
  • An option to run WITHOUT the cloud service. I have WAY more than enough experience with networking and everything else to where I DO NOT NEED a hosted service to connect me back to my controller when I’m off of my local network.

[quote=“ember1205, post:2, topic:192142”]Aside from wishing that it would -work-, I’d like to see some simple things:

• Forced user authentication, at least as an option. I don’t like the fact that if someone manages to access my WiFi or otherwise gain access to my home network, they’re ‘in’ and don’t need to auth to the system.

• An option to run WITHOUT the cloud service. I have WAY more than enough experience with networking and everything else to where I DO NOT NEED a hosted service to connect me back to my controller when I’m off of my local network.[/quote]

These two look very similar and also are very similar to his #14

Your number one…There already is forced user authentication and its the “Secure Only” check box which then requires you to login via the cloud, but that goes against your #2. Which is why he posted his #14. User login on local network without the cloud.

related but slightly different - ability to disable the vera ssh tunnel home for people using their own vpn + dyndns setup already and who don’t want to use the flaky web proxy - hack solution here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32319.msg275056.html#msg275056

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:3, topic:192142”][quote=“ember1205, post:2, topic:192142”]Aside from wishing that it would -work-, I’d like to see some simple things:

• An option to run WITHOUT the cloud service. I have WAY more than enough experience with networking and everything else to where I DO NOT NEED a hosted service to connect me back to my controller when I’m off of my local network.[/quote]

These two look very similar and also are very similar to his #14

Your number one…There already is forced user authentication and its the “Secure Only” check box which then requires you to login via the cloud, but that goes against your #2. Which is why he posted his #14. User login on local network without the cloud.[/quote]

Secure Only is a risk because the authentication is cloud-based. Internet service down? No access. Cloud service down? No access.

[quote=“ember1205, post:5, topic:192142”][quote=“integlikewhoa, post:3, topic:192142”]These two look very similar and also are very similar to his #14

Your number one…There already is forced user authentication and its the “Secure Only” check box which then requires you to login via the cloud, but that goes against your #2. Which is why he posted his #14. User login on local network without the cloud.[/quote]

Secure Only is a risk because the authentication is cloud-based. Internet service down? No access. Cloud service down? No access.[/quote]

Yes, which is exactly why he asked for his #14 request and so did you… So they are very much the same requests, as I was merely pointing out.

Not solving all your needs but have a try of the AltUI plugin. It should at least give you some element of satisfaction. Fully responsive, latest bootstrap and JS based. Quite fast plus adds features that ui7 does not have.

Here are some wishes too :slight_smile: :

1. a quick UI
    I have a lot of devices and my VeraEdge UI7 is taking more than one minute to display the UI with frequent freezes.
    No problem with ALTUI.

2. Templates for special Z-Wave parameters WITH explanations (like in all the other HA systems)

3. Different users with different rights
    I would like to be able to restrain some devices to “admin” users, and be able to define read-only mode for some others.

4. A new marketplace
    A big advantage of the Vera is its plugins, that you can “easily” find in the MIOS Marketplace… but is made only for UI5 users !
    As Vera user :

• finding a plugin is a bit complicated directly in UI7 (just a textbox)
  • no link between the portal apps.mios.com and the Vera with UI7 (not possible from the appstore to install directly on a UI7 Vera)
  • the portal, made for UI5, is no more reachable from the UI5 interface
  • In top apps, there are old apps that have not been updated or rated from a long time, or with just a review.
    It could be improved and weighted on number of reviews.

As a developper :

• updating the sources with a new version is a bit difficult… and you easily can make a big mistake by updating with the wrong file (content)
  • no stats on the use a of a plugin
  • extra parameters are not saved (encrypted, path,…) and can be forgotten when publishing a new version

@amg0…I have it installed, and appreciate the work.

@vosmont, I agree on all points.

I would also like to be able to restrict device operation by location, proximity, and/or connection method.

For example - I would love to give the kids the ability to operate the lock on the mudroom door and the garage door from their phones, but I would want that restricted so that they could only do it -at the house- (meaning, on WiFi - local connection). Yes, my WiFi works around the outside perimeter of the house quite well and it’s secured.

Some very good suggestions above, I agree with most of them.

My request out of them all would be the ability to add device support without having to wait for a full on UI update seems necessary for me. Just some kind of package you could ad that added support for a specific device, perhaps even allow users to share their device settings between each other like this.

A way to provide those files would seem simplest as being a database of known devices (be they currently supported or not). On this database, users could update and provide their functional device files with others then able to vote that they work and possibly comment on them.

The biggest let down with my new Vera Plus is a very slow standard UI (ALTUI is much better so it shows it’s likely just poor coding on Vera’s part) and the fact that official device support is very limited.

Secure Only is a risk because the authentication is cloud-based. Internet service down? No access. Cloud service down? No access.

Can you elaborate?

[quote=“johnes, post:12, topic:192142”]

Can you elaborate?[/quote]

When you log in now, you are directed to the portal to log in…but, you can still access your Vera locally via its IP address to turn things on and off, etc. If you enable the Secure option, you lose this local access, and have to log in every time. (and if the portal is down or under DDOS attack, tough cookies, you’ll have to use the wall switch. :slight_smile:

I would like to see a simple interface for triggering scenes with the option for multiple triggers that you can set to be (and, or) I know PLEG does this, but it seems overly complicated. So if I wanted lights to turn on, I could have a motion sensor and light sensor working together.

another probable use case for trying ALTUI with its workflow features… http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,78.0.html

1) OAuth Authentication: I don’t see a burning need. There are countless more important features and bug fixes needed. I’d put this at the very bottom of the list.

2) Native Echo Support: Similar to above. There are already plugin/gateway options and native skill options, there’s no need for Vera Ltd. to enter this arena and provide a bad solution where options already exist.

3) Native Nest Support: Also low priority. There are already plugins that handle this.

4) UI8 (or UI7.5): Interface fiddling. Vera Ltd. will probably do this, even though it’s core features and bug fixes that need to be addressed. I’ve already made clear my utter disdain for this sort of window dressing in a web interface that should be rarely used when there are real issues that need to be addressed.

5) Work out back-end UI bugs: Now you’re getting warmer. although 404s from probing UPnP devices isn’t a real bother. This is supposed to be home automation. We don;t care about web server logs. So long as teh web server works, no one cares.

6) Updated Documentation: Ding ding ding! Hap hazard how-tos and videos are nice, but they are no replacement for a proper manual. UI5 had a manual. It may have been brief, but it was a proper manual. There is no such manual for UI7.

7) Sections / Floor support: … (See next item.)

8 ) Drill-Down Device pages: These would be nice to have, but they are not critical and should be lower priority.

9) Hidden device support: Yes, it would be nice to easily hide and unhide individual devices and child devices. It can be done manually, but it isn’t as easy as it should be.

10) Allow for user-uploadable graphics / icons: It would be nice. This capability has been requested since the beginning of Vera. Vera Ltd. need to just flatly state that they have no intention of ever doing it, rather than ignoring the request. Perhaps then people will stop asking for it hopefully/hopelessly.

11) OTA firware support: Not really up to Vera, it;s up to the device vendor that produces teh device’s firmware. I doubt that it will happen even from their 25% stake holder Nortek/Linear/GoControl.

12) Better all-around device support: Yes.

13) Advanced Mode: Isn’t it already so? Perhaps I’m not getting your point.

14) Local Login without portal: This is critical. It use to be the case. But every UI itteration seems to be more dependent on the Vera servers. This is a problem.

15) Troubleshooting: This would be a nice appendix to a manual.

16) Shortcut to device deletion: Hiding delete and exclude was a bad decision. Add it back along with a button to trigger network heals!

17) WiFi Client Support: Indeed, but don’t forget the ability to control/configure the 5GHz radio.

18) Online Device Database: They’re working on this, sort of. It would be a good feature.

Thanks @Z-waver,

My post was not meant to be in order…was more of a stream of consciousness thing.

A couple of notes…

1. The reason I mentioned OAuth is that it is now the de-facto standard for sites / services that integrate. (Without having to share login credentials with third parties.) While I whole-heartedly agree that there are more pressing UI issues to address, I constantly see requests for integration with other services. I mentioned Amazon Echo and Nest, but even IFTTT and/or Zapier would need or benefit from an OAuth solution. It may be in the works, as I hear that Amazon Echo support of some kind is coming from Vera soon. I already run the bridge on my Synology, so I see where other things should come first. I suspect they are going for headlines here, and the only way to grab them is a native solution. I’d rather see local login first though. :slight_smile:

2. Back-end UI bugs…I mentioned the 404s and other errors because when I have issues of un-responsivness from the UI, they tend to be more prevalent. There’s definitely a lack of error-catching going on, which in-turn, leads to slowdowns or hangs. (From what I can tell. I haven’t tried to reverse-engineer what’s going on yet.)

3. Floor / Section Support and drill down was mentioned just to make it easier to get to things quickly. I think this would be one of the easiest items to implement that I mentioned. Well, the drill-down part. Floor / Section support would require internal DB changes.

Thanks for chiming in. I’m still getting to know the platform. Hope to frequent the boards more often now.

Good lord, they haven’t even got UI7 out of Alpha testing yet, now you want them to start working on UI8??

Yeah, before all of that, I’d like them to fix their security issues (allowing anyone to rest anyone’s password), allow users to manage (delete/prevent uploading) of data stored on MCV servers, etc.

Heck, I wish they’d open up their code so that we could fix these thigns ourselves for the benefit of the community. Open source and release it… they’ve already made their money on the device itself. I’d even pay to join a developer program, etc.

The Works With Nest plugin is not working:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31828.msg277699.html#msg277699

The only thing the plugin is doing is allows to see Nest devices in Vera. If I try using any info supplied by the WWN plugin in a scene, then all Nest devices disconnect from Vera and show Can’t Detect Device errors, while complaining about Nest authorization. For example, I created a scene which would notify me when Nest status changes from Auto Away to Home. As soon as someone comes home and Nest changes to Home, Vera scene does not notify me and all Nest devices immediately disconnect from Vera. The scene says it did not run.

I wrote to Vera support trying to solve this issue, and after several weeks of numerous emails, I was told by support they cannot do anything about WWN plugin.

So something definitely has to be done about Nest integration. Either fix the plugin, or do a native support for Nest.