My Vera is useless now

Tried upgrading to 1.1.1245. The upgrade appears to have taken but the Z-Wave network is now dead…

I used the recommended “reset Z Wave Network” procedure. This caused all devices to disappear but left scenes around. I then tried excluding and re-adding the devices back in using the full power option. Nothing appears to work. It keeps giving “Failed to go into Learn Mode” in the status scroll followed by a “wait 1 minute and try again”.

I then tried a “Reset to Factory Default” and the behavior is unchanged except the scenes are now gone as well.

I tried to add a few nearby devices using old fashioned low-power method with the pushbutton. These appeared to exclude/include correctly (per the LED flash patterns) but no devices appear on the dashboard. The devices were successfully removed from the old network since other secondary controllers that are still in the old network can no longer control them.

Is the reset problem that is mentioned as corrected in the release notes to the beta firmware? If so, how can I get hold of it? If not, is there something I can do NOW to get back and running?

I wanted to install some new dimmers this weekend and the old Vera config had somehow lost PRI (so there was no Primary on the network). Fixing this was going to require a network rebuild so it looked like a good idea to upgrade firmware at the same time. The 1.1.1245 firmware release has been out for a while so I thought it should be safe.

Can you confirm that you see the following under [tt]Z-Wave device → Options[/tt]:
[tt]Version 3.20 L:1
House/Node
Role Master SIS:NO PRI:YES[/tt]

Is the reset problem that is mentioned as corrected in the release notes to the beta firmware? If so, how can I get hold of it?
That beta firmware is not yet publicly released; however MCV may provide it to you on an individual basis.

It is also recommendable to check the local setting of Vera after update.

–edit–
Please refer to this message.
http://forum.mios.com/index.php?topic=6652.msg41670#msg41670

This file tells Vera to use either US or EU frequencies. If, for some reason after an upgrade this setting is changed, Vera will be unable to communicate to all z-wave devices.

–edit2–
The reset Z-wave network is supposed to do that (e.g.remove all devices form the z-wave network)

Including the devices from scratch wont work because they are still in the “already included” state.
You will first have to reset all devices (refer to the manual of your devices) to factory state before you can include them again in Vera.

For most devices resetting requires the same or very similar procedure as what is used for in- /excluding.

Almost: mine shows:

Version 3.20 L:1
House/Node
Role Suc SIS:YES PRI:YES
Last update N/A

I’ve played around a bit more. I downgraded to 2.78, reset the network again and added a few nodes (one dimmer and one controller). I was then able to switch back to 3.20 and see them but I was not able to add more nodes when in 3.20 (same error).

I followed the link in http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6335.0 and it upgraded me to 1.1.1267. That had no change in the behavior on 3.20

Summary: firmware 3.20 doesn’t appear to work in any way. Simple networks appear to work at 2.78. I’m going to finish rebuilding my network using 2.78 and wait for another update. My network is spread out enough that routing is required so I’m hoping the routing issues that exist in 2.78 don’t screw up thing.

The one good thing I’ve noticed is that in 1.1.1267, Leviton RZCZ4 scene controllers can again control Intermatic HA03. That was broken in the original UI4 version.

@steveg

When upgrading to z-wave 3.20 whilst leaving devices intact on the network, you will need to follow the procedure as described here:
http://wiki.mios.com/index.php/Migrate_To_Z-wave_version_452

You will need to use the “hack 2.78 to 3.20” option to be able to in/exclude more devices after the upgrade to 3.20L

Also you would like to run the “Shift controller” option.

Since your Vera displays:

Version 3.20 L:1 House/Node Role Suc SIS:YES PRI:YES Last update N/A

Where it SHOULD show:

Version 3.20 L:1 House/Node [b]Role Suc SIS:NOPRI:YES[/b] Last update N/A

[quote=“steveg, post:4, topic:168651”]Almost: mine shows:

Version 3.20 L:1
House/Node
Role Suc SIS:YES PRI:YES
Last update N/A

I’ve played around a bit more. I downgraded to 2.78, reset the network again and added a few nodes (one dimmer and one controller). I was then able to switch back to 3.20 and see them but I was not able to add more nodes when in 3.20 (same error).

I followed the link in http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6335.0 and it upgraded me to 1.1.1267. That had no change in the behavior on 3.20

Summary: firmware 3.20 doesn’t appear to work in any way. Simple networks appear to work at 2.78. I’m going to finish rebuilding my network using 2.78 and wait for another update. My network is spread out enough that routing is required so I’m hoping the routing issues that exist in 2.78 don’t screw up thing.

The one good thing I’ve noticed is that in 1.1.1267, Leviton RZCZ4 scene controllers can again control Intermatic HA03. That was broken in the original UI4 version.[/quote]

[quote=“steveg, post:4, topic:168651”]Almost: mine shows:
Role Suc SIS:YES PRI:YES[/quote]
Thanks for checking.

That’s not right, and indicative of things not fully being 3.20. Do the ‘Hack to convert 2.78 to 3.20’ under [tt]Z-Wave device → Advanced[/tt], and reboot. Then check if it matches what I posted.

You normally wouldn’t have to do the ‘Hack to convert’ when doing a ‘Reset Network’, but I bumped into the same thing yesterday. It may have to do with the bug in .1245 related to this. (I’d have to compare to the private beta with fix.)

You must run the ‘Hack to convert’ after you go from 2.78 to 3.20 without resetting the network, or else you won’t be able to include/exclude. That is consistent with your observation.

Seems you have decided to stay with 2.78 for now. Nothing wrong with that, AFAIK. You wouldn’t have the manual routing (i.e. software control over the routes) feature, but that shouldn’t be necessary.

Had the same problem about adding devices and that Vera 2 was not Master, after upgrade. Put in a trouble ticket, they fixed it. I then sent an email asking if I could have done something myself. They said that I could have done a “Hack to Convert”. I never thought to try this procedure because it looked like the upgrade went well. I think it would be nice to have a trouble shooting guide, with known problems with suggestion to repair.
Wayne

Thanks for the info! BTW, did you also try to include/exclude a device; that probably would not have worked. The hack is not optional.

Just to be clear, your Vera was showing:
[tt]Role Suc SIS:YES PRI:YES[/tt]
instead of:
[tt]Role Master SIS:NO PRI:YES[/tt]
right?

Hi

Vera 2 was showing —Suc SIS:YES PRI:NO— This was after upgrade but before they did a “Hack to Convert” I was not able to include any Zwave devices.

Ah, also [tt]PRI:NO[/tt] indeed! Thanks for the feedback. Very interesting.

What I have noticed that after any type of upgrade including the ones that I have done on Vera 1 that you just need to walk for several hours before it takes. Example when I first upgraded Vera 2 to the latest .1245 3.5 Vera 2 was in the state “Zwave Failed to Start”. I had some errands to run and came back several hours later Vera 2’s message, the Zwave Failed to Start" was gone. Then I tried to include some Zwave devices which failed that’s when I notice the --Suc SIS:YES PRI:NO-- thing.