My Power max pro and the Powerrmax plugin

I have been running My Power max pro and the Powerrmax plugin happily for about two weeks using the shortish Cat5 cable that came with the Visonic RS232 plugged into a USB serial adapter. Today it was time to install the panel in its final position as testing is over, all works in the panel as it should in it’s new position but I now need a minimum 8m long Cat5 cable to reach from the panel to Vere lite and the USB serial adapter. I connected it with a 8m Cat5 cable I had, that I know is working, but now I get the “BBA comm lost” error all the time ??? had to disconnect the cat cable to get the panel to forget the connection as no mater what I did could not get it to talk again to Vera .
Is there a limit to the length of cable this will work with ? or a specific Cat5 cable ? need to buy a new cable to try again but if a cable 8 to 10m long won’t work don’t want to waste the money on buying one, would need to re-think and move Vera instead

According to this page the 8-10 m should not be a problem. However, you might need shielding or make sure it doesn’t pick up any interference. But I’ve never experimented with such distances.

Nirb thanks for the link, might try a good quality shielded cable, as it passes under a lot of electrical cables in the attic / loft looking at where it is running again, can not get around them, fingers crossed it will work again as it was running perfect before the move and the only difference is a longer cable.

Been awhile but finally got a new cat5 shielded cable run from the Powermax back through the attic and down to vera , went for a 15m cable so I could avoid some of my power lines a bit better. The good news is it all works again Alarm back up and showing in Vera in Powerlink mode, so I can see the status of the alarm and all it’s sensors again :slight_smile: Can now use some of the Powermax sensors to turn on lights when a door is opened, which saves on adding Z-wave sensors to the doors, great plugin .