Moving Cameras To Different Router

I installed a couple of Vistacam 1100’s for a customer, outside the house, and they are not staying connected. I want to move them from the Vera router to the customers router, which has WiFi repeaters around the house.

Can anyone tell me the process or point to instructions to do this? I have seen instructions for the initial connection and they reference accessing a router like they are talking about a different router than the built-in Vera one, but it’s not clear to me. Also they talk about needing to start with a hard-wired connection but these things are already installed with the power wires caulked into the wall.

[quote=“fullmoonguru, post:1, topic:198488”]I installed a couple of Vistacam 1100’s for a customer, outside the house, and they are not staying connected. I want to move them from the Vera router to the customers router, which has WiFi repeaters around the house.

Can anyone tell me the process or point to instructions to do this? I have seen instructions for the initial connection and they reference accessing a router like they are talking about a different router than the built-in Vera one, but it’s not clear to me. Also they talk about needing to start with a hard-wired connection but these things are already installed with the power wires caulked into the wall.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone wants to touch this, but will stick my neck out…

Vera does have firewall/router functions, which make sense at least for the Vera3 (as it has with multiple LAN ports), but I would not recommend using the firewall/router functions. Much better to have a full-functioned router, and configure the Vera WAN port to be a standard LAN port.

If the cameras are already configured in the Vera GUI, and the IP addresses of the cameras are not changing , then moving them to a different router should not change anything. If the IP addresses are changing, then just updating the IPs in the Vera GUI should work. If you have to reconfigure them via hard-wired connection, then just get a reallllly long CAT 5 or CAT 6 cable - up to 300 feet will work fine.

All that said, best practice IMHO is that cameras and Vera should never meet. Camera feeds just impede Vera’s real function of home automation. Cameras should be managed by a DVR or camera software. I use Synology Surveillance Station. Blue Iris is very popular on this forum too.

Thanks wilme. I have a couple of questions:

configure the Vera WAN port to be a standard LAN port.

Wondering how that is accomplished?

If the cameras are already configured in the Vera GUI, and the IP addresses of the cameras are not changing , then moving them to a different router should not change anything. If the IP addresses are changing, then just updating the IPs in the Vera GUI should work. If you have to reconfigure them via hard-wired connection, then just get a reallllly long CAT 5 or CAT 6 cable - up to 300 feet will work fine.

All that said, best practice IMHO is that cameras and Vera should never meet. Camera feeds just impede Vera’s real function of home automation. Cameras should be managed by a DVR or camera software. I use Synology Surveillance Station. Blue Iris is very popular on this forum too.

One of the cameras keeps dropping out. If I reboot the controller it comes back. This time I looked at teh ip address and it did change after rebooting but I don’t know if it dropped out because it had changed before and Vera was still looking at the old ip or if it just changed as part of the reboot.

So can I move them to the other router just by using the “switch to IP” function and entering the network ssid & pw?

I hear what you’re saying about using a different system but I think it’s too late for that and this is a pretty simple use case also.