Missing and delayed Vera Alerts to Android phone

Recently I setup Vera Alerts. Main application for now is to send a notification plus snapshot from an IP camera to two smartphones, if the doorbell is pushed. The smartphone can be used somewhere in the house or garden, where I cannot always hear the doorbell.
Doorbell activates a scenario, scenario triggers the notification.
In order to test it frequently, I activate the scenario (in stead of walking to my doorbell every time).

I got the setup working, but has some disturbances:

1. Sometimes the notifications are delayed, and a few come in together at one time, several minutes later.
  2. Some notifications are completely skipped, lost, and never seem to appear.
  3. It takes a rather long time, 1 or 2 minutes before the snapshot picture shows. In case of a doorbell notification, that is too lon (person has left already when I want to open the door >:( ).

Is there any way to improve on the missing / delaying notifications ?
And for issue 3) : maybe there is a way to send a lower resolution snapshot picture, that is smaller in size, and thus will take a shorter time to download to the phone ?

Just reacting on my own post:
For some mysterious reason, point 1) and 2) in my previous post do not occur anymore,
at least for the past 2 weeks.

I am still wondering about 3), any one has a clue or idea ?
I suppose that the processing at the Vera Edge and, after that, downloading to the smartphone are the actions that take place during that 1 or 2 minutes.
As I cannot influence the network speed, I was thinking that a smaller picture (with less resolution) would speed up the process.
But I found no way to tweak that…

[quote=“mtx123, post:2, topic:192698”]Just reacting on my own post:
For some mysterious reason, point 1) and 2) in my previous post do not occur anymore,
at least for the past 2 weeks.

I am still wondering about 3), any one has a clue or idea ?
I suppose that the processing at the Vera Edge and, after that, downloading to the smartphone are the actions that take place during that 1 or 2 minutes.
As I cannot influence the network speed, I was thinking that a smaller picture (with less resolution) would speed up the process.
But I found no way to tweak that…[/quote]

Your Point #3 happened also to me. I did make the file image size much small and it fixed the issue. Since Vera is a not a Camera Recorder or DVR I have always used Blueiris. I am able to adjust the image size (quality) very easy from 1-100. I would suggest posting more info on the camera or the setup your using an maybe there is away to do it.

My setup now is:
3 Hikvision camera’s installed, with motion detection activated,
Synology NAS takes care of Live view of streaming video, and recording if motion is detected.
These 3 camera’s are also connected as devices to Vera Edge, and in Veralerts I use {Picture(xyz)} to send a snapshot of one of the Hikvisions, in case the doorbell was pushed.
The message is received almost instantly, but the picture takes > 1 minute to appear.
I guess that the resolution of the snapshot is quite large, therefore delaying the transfer to my smartphone.

[quote=“mtx123, post:4, topic:192698”]My setup now is:
3 Hikvision camera’s installed, with motion detection activated,
Synology NAS takes care of Live view of streaming video, and recording if motion is detected.
These 3 camera’s are also connected as devices to Vera Edge, and in Veralerts I use {Picture(xyz)} to send a snapshot of one of the Hikvisions, in case the doorbell was pushed.
The message is received almost instantly, but the picture takes > 1 minute to appear.
I guess that the resolution of the snapshot is quite large, therefore delaying the transfer to my smartphone.[/quote]

So there maybe more then one way for you to fix this. I never had cameras directly in vera due to performance issues and no need for it. But tou maybe able to lower the quality of the sub or 2nd stream and use that in vera only for these snap shots. Use the main stream and high quality for your dvr.

Also i would use the http snapshot command from my dvr vs. Directly from the camera. Depending on the http command i could choose the quality i want.

[quote author=integlikewhoa link=topic=38079.msg286012#msg286012 date=1467645904]
So there maybe more then one way for you to fix this. I never had cameras directly in vera due to performance issues and no need for it. But tou maybe able to lower the quality of the sub or 2nd stream and use that in vera only for these snap shots. Use the main stream and high quality for your dvr.

Also i would use the http snapshot command from my dvr vs. Directly from the camera. Depending on the http command i could choose the quality i want.
[/quote

To use the substream of the camera at a lower resolution setting is a good one ! I will try that.

I connected the camera’s as a device, to be able to send the snapshot by Veralerts,
For recording I use a Synology NAS with their Sureveillance Station software, I found out how to email snapshots from the NAS, when motion is detected by the camera.
But I like the Veralert for the flexibility, that it can be controlled form scenes. Now I have the doorbell pushed alert, and I am planning to add a switch to the letterbox for a (analog :slight_smile: ) mail received alert.

[quote=“mtx123, post:6, topic:192698”]…
To use the substream of the camera at a lower resolution setting is a good one ! I will try that.
…[/quote]

Unfortunately I failed to add the substream to Vera Edge.
I see that others saw the same issue:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=22792.0
And I do not want to change the resolution of the mainstream, as I use that for recording…