MiOS AV Device Creation Failure

I’ve been trying to create a MiOS device for my JVC television (model HD-56FN97) using the SQBlaster dev files and procedure outlined here: SQBlaster.

I was able to create the corresponding “I” and “D” files and uploaded them to my Vera Lite, however, they do not seem to be working. My SQBlaster appears to be transmitting when I hit the on and off buttons I created in SQBlaster HD but the television does not respond.

One thing I noticed is that in the handful of other devices I created successful (not using this procedure, Vera guided set up worked without any additional intervention needed- Onkyo Tuner, Roku Soundbridge, etc.) the Device and Implementation file fields in the device settings contain a filename that ends in .lzo, for example, for the Onkyo- “D_Codeset_630.xml.lzo”

Even when I try adding “.lzo” to the JVC device settings as a test it still does not work.

I’ve attached both here if anyone can give them a once-over and let me know if they see any glaring errors, I’d appreciate it.

Also note that this device uses Pronto codes (the Blaster device I created works fine, the MiOS one does not).

Paul

In the default transformation, the D_*.xml file will have a line like:
[tt] urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:tv:1[/tt]

For some reason, yours has a line that’s like:
[tt] urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:IrDevice:1[/tt]

I’m not sure how you got that in your conversion, can you let me know where you sourced the XSLT files that execute the conversion?

Without the correct entry, you’ll not get the UI that lets you associate the “IR Transmitter” (your specific SQBlaster) with your [JVC] “IR Device” (these device files). If you don’t have that association, then the Pronto commands will never be sent out. You’ll make the requests to send them [to the IR Device] but Vera won’t know which IR Transmitter to send them to.

See attached screenshot for an example of what the screen looks like once the above correction is made to the D_*.xml file.

Thank you for the reply- to answer your question, I used the XLST’s from one of your previous posts on this subject:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sqblaster/browser/trunk/xslt/SQBlaster_I.xsl and
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sqblaster/browser/trunk/xslt/SQBlaster_D.xsl

but I made that edit myself when I was trying to figure out what the problem was- the other MiOS devices I had created that were working all had IrDevice:1 in the deviceType line so I had changed it as a test but never changed it back.

Either way, even with it now back to urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:tv:1, I still get the same behavior- the Blaster blinks when I hit the Power On or Off buttons I created, but the JVC TV does not respond. I have tried with the Discrete as well as Toggle options in the device.

Any other thoughts? I re-attached the corrected “D” file and a screen cap of the device.

One more thing to try is switching to the Alternate CodeSets for your IR Device. In the SQBlaster/SQRemote, they often have multiple IR CodeSets for each thing they can control.

At the top of the Selection, you’ll typically see something like:

<< Name >>

The others might have names like UEIxxxxx. These are the built-in codes that are native to the IR Chip on the SQBlaster. I’ve seen cases in the past where these work better than the Pronto-based codes.

For the main case I remember, there was also a situation where people needed to set the “repeat” information so that the code would be repeated when it was sent out. The default is not to repeat the code, so it’s sent just once.

You’ll see a basic reference to this here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11180.msg79635.html#msg79635
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,8440.msg54074.html#msg54074

I took your suggestion and found a UEI code for the JVC that works (several, actually), the one I chose is 1253.

I then created a new Blaster device with this codeset, and ran the resultant devxxxx.xml through the conversion process to create the “D” and “I” files for MiOS, and uploaded them, however, still no luck! In fact now the Blaster does not even appear to transmit, where before using a Pronto code it was clearly transmitting but the TV just would not respond.

My bet is that you are also correct in that the codes may need to be repeated. Since this can’t be changed in the device config in SQBlaster for MiOS devices like it can for “native” SQConnect devices, I assume it needs to be changed in the “I” file?

So for example, where I now have the following code for Discrete On:

urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DiscretePower1 On UT12532

am I correct that the line:

UT12532

may just need to look something like this now instead:

UT12532UT12532UT12532 ?

to get it to repeat the code 3 times? Or is there a different syntax required?

Thanks!

Paul

I don’t recall if anyone has done it with the UEI Codes, but it’ll probably work. I think all the examples were with “repeating” the Pronto code values, within each element of the I_*.xml file.

The MiOS IR format is quite old, and hasn’t evolved since it was released. There are a few things like that that have never reached the bar in terms of getting fixed (repeat fields, first press -vs- ongoing hold, etc). It’s API really is a subset of what an IR interaction should be.

Thank you again for all of your help, I decided to go back to the Pronto codeset and have tried inserting 3 repeats for “On” but no luck so far. I will mess around with it some more this weekend and see if I can find the right combo of codes/repeats to get it to finally work. I have a feeling that it won’t. :cry:

I’ll post an update if I have any success.

Paul