I have an old VeraLite (firmware v1.7.919) that I’ve been using successfully for many years now, and it appears that all good things must come to an end. After not having tweaked anything for well over a year, I decided to try to add a new Zooz Zen15 power switch last night, and things took a turn for the worse.
It doesn’t look like Lua starts up correctly, though the system boots and I can ssh into it. However, I have solid blue and green lights, and a very slow blinking orange. The UI responds, but extremely slowly, and usually eventually gives some kind of timeout if I try to do anything too taxing.
So… I think it’s time to switch to another controller, which is totally fine with me, it’ll be a fun project, but: my understanding is that things will go more smoothly if I unpair all of my (dozens) of Z-Wave devices so that they can more easily be included with the new controller? If so, does anyone have any advice on the best way to attempt this, given my crippled state?
Does the VeraLite use the same backup/restore mechanism that other Vera controllers use? If so, your unit just might need a factory reset to “freshen it up”. In other words, I hope it’s just a firmware/software issue. Sadly, once old the hardware on old Veras starts malfunctioning due to degredation, I don’t think there’s much one can do to “save” it.
I’ll be interested to hear what ezlo staff advise you to try.
On the other hand, seems like you can still buy a VeraLite for under $200 (here) online. I would literally do anything before having to unpair and re-pair dozens of devices, lol. GOOD LUCK!
Had a support session with Leonardo from support this morning - he solved the problem. Turns out the /overlay partition on the device was full. Removing /etc/cmh/ergy_cache_paired_devices.conf and rebooting put it back into a normal state.
Now I can move devices over to a new controller at my leisure.
Big shout out to Leonardo and the support team, they really went above and beyond IMO for a product that is so outdated!
And I did ask, they don’t have any old Edges or anything lying around.
Glad that move worked. I recall us all being advised to remove the “Ergy plug-in files” a little over 2 years ago, due to its nasty destabilizing reputation and being such a memory hog.
In fact, there were several scripts (by the esteemed-but-permanently-banned @Rafale77 and others) floating around which helped us free up as many Vera’s internal resources as possible, before 7.31 and 7.32 firmware handled all that automatically.
Vera plus is still available on eBay and it’s at its lowest price ever. I got one at 80 bucks as a replacement unit. They’re really hot swappable (get a backup and restore it).