Migration off of VeraLite help

Hi All -

I have an old VeraLite (firmware v1.7.919) that I’ve been using successfully for many years now, and it appears that all good things must come to an end. After not having tweaked anything for well over a year, I decided to try to add a new Zooz Zen15 power switch last night, and things took a turn for the worse.

It doesn’t look like Lua starts up correctly, though the system boots and I can ssh into it. However, I have solid blue and green lights, and a very slow blinking orange. The UI responds, but extremely slowly, and usually eventually gives some kind of timeout if I try to do anything too taxing.

So… I think it’s time to switch to another controller, which is totally fine with me, it’ll be a fun project, but: my understanding is that things will go more smoothly if I unpair all of my (dozens) of Z-Wave devices so that they can more easily be included with the new controller? If so, does anyone have any advice on the best way to attempt this, given my crippled state?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ross

Does the VeraLite use the same backup/restore mechanism that other Vera controllers use? If so, your unit just might need a factory reset to “freshen it up”. In other words, I hope it’s just a firmware/software issue. Sadly, once old the hardware on old Veras starts malfunctioning due to degredation, I don’t think there’s much one can do to “save” it.

I’ll be interested to hear what ezlo staff advise you to try.

On the other hand, seems like you can still buy a VeraLite for under $200 (here) online. I would literally do anything before having to unpair and re-pair dozens of devices, lol. GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

Try to get your hands on a Vera Plus. You can restore a backup of the lite to that and start from the last good working backup.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes

I have a call with support set for Saturday, I’ll see what we can come up there before making any purchases. :slight_smile: Thanks for the help so far!

Heck, ask 'em if they have any remaining inventory in a closet somewhere, since I don’t believe ezlo company sells Vera controllers any more.

Had a support session with Leonardo from support this morning - he solved the problem. Turns out the /overlay partition on the device was full. Removing /etc/cmh/ergy_cache_paired_devices.conf and rebooting put it back into a normal state.

Now I can move devices over to a new controller at my leisure.

Big shout out to Leonardo and the support team, they really went above and beyond IMO for a product that is so outdated!

And I did ask, they don’t have any old Edges or anything lying around. :wink:

1 Like

Glad that move worked. I recall us all being advised to remove the “Ergy plug-in files” a little over 2 years ago, due to its nasty destabilizing reputation and being such a memory hog.

In fact, there were several scripts (by the esteemed-but-permanently-banned @Rafale77 and others) floating around which helped us free up as many Vera’s internal resources as possible, before 7.31 and 7.32 firmware handled all that automatically.

1 Like

Vera plus is still available on eBay and it’s at its lowest price ever. I got one at 80 bucks as a replacement unit. They’re really hot swappable (get a backup and restore it).

2 Likes

Can you explain how to ssh into it?
I have a system that has the same symptoms. It is online but I cannot get into the dashboard

Best Home Automation shopping experience. Shop at getvera!

© 2021 Ezlo Innovation, All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Forum Rules