Migrate from Vera1 vera2

After being with vera1 for 1year without any issues, i was enticed into buying Vera2 thro’ discounted offer. I imagined that Vera2 must be a improved version. But the trouble started from opening the parcel. I didnt realise that Vera2 there is no dongle to include devices but you have to carry the unit with a heavy battery pack attached to the devices to be included. But my vera2 is not installing /adding any devices. So I read thro a blog in these coloumns and used my Dongle from Vera1 on vera2. Presto the unit worked alright. Then I saved my config with the dongle on on Vera2, removed the dongle, and restored the saved config. My my Vera2 refused to see any devices. I am at a loss to know what could be wrong. I purchsed Vera1 from europe and Vera2 EU directly from Micasaverde in US. Any help will be appreciated.

You need to give us some more details like which version you are running and also did you see a message in the status window indicating that it was restoring the dongle?

Gonna need a bit more info as to how you restored the saved config , which port you changed to & are you using the internal chip?

JOD.

running firmware downloaded version : 1.1.1047. Tried add devices as per instructions but failed. Next Under Zwave options / port changed ( /dev/tts/1 ) to (/dev/usb/tts/0 ) then connected external dongle at bottom USB. All my devices/sensors/scenes got listed, tested them with scenes and all worked fine. Then saved the settings with the dongle attached to Vera2. Removed the dongle from Vera2. Again tried to include Devices but none were added. Loaded the backup file backup.mios2.13305.2010-11.17 from my PC. Vera failed to see my devices w/o the dongle. I suspect either the inbuilt chip or unit is not EU version or is could there be something else?

I suspect you see your sections / rooms but not the devices?
Are you doing a dongle backup prior to doing a system backup?
If not, when you do the restore the devices will not show up.

JOD.

Thank you JOD. Yes on backup of dongle it works even while Dongle is removed from VERA2, but cannot add/remove devices w/o the dongle. That is not going to help as Vera1 with dongle is to be returned as I have exchnged Vera2 for Vera1. Moreover what happens to Vera2 independant capability to add/remove/configure devices? Vera2 to be bricked? Posted issue to verde tech support thro’ remote full control. Not responded sofar ???

I have the following results of Network trouble shooting results reproduced here from my Vera2.

=== IP Configuration ===
br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:86:CD
inet addr:192.168.81.1 Bcast:192.168.81.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
br-lan:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:86:CD
inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:86:CD
eth0.0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:02:8C:86:CD
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

External IP: 59.92.59.198

=== Testing Gateway: 192.168.1.1 ===

GATEWAY:OK
=== Testing DnsServer: 192.168.1.1 ===

DNSSERVER1:OK
=== Testing DnsServer: 218.248.240.179 ===

DNSSERVER2:OK
=== Testing DnsServer: 218.248.240.134 ===

DNSSERVER3:OK

=== Testing External Servers ===

GOOGLE.COM:OK

sta1.mios.com:OK

evt1.mios.com:OK
ts1.mios.com TUNNEL CONN:OK

fwd1.mios.com:OK
fwd1.mios.com TUNNEL CONN:OK

=== SSH_TUNNELS: ===
Found 2 ssh sessions running
Tech Support Tunnels are running
Remote Control Tunnels are running
== DONE ==

Does this lead to say something about defect.Under SSH tunnels it says ‘2SSH sessions found’ i sthat normal. Becuase while opening

http://micasaverde.com/vera2 …Setup… got message: “I found more than 1 Vera on your network. Which one do you want to setup?” is this normal too? I have doubt whether my old install vera1 is the problem.If yes then How to remove this?

The message about finding more than one Vera on your network is normal since you have two Veras.
I would not worry about the two SSH sessions at this point.
If your Vera 2 is working fine without the dongle ? We can forget any further discussion about Vera 1 and the dongle.
If you are now trying to add additional devices? You need to do it through the dashboard +! button or using the button on the back of Vera. If it’s a remote device you will need the battery pack.
If you are getting an error message when trying to add devices? What is the error message?

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:8, topic:166957”]The message about finding more than one Vera on your network is normal since you have two Veras.
I would not worry about the two SSH sessions at this point.
If your Vera 2 is working fine without the dongle ? We can forget any further discussion about Vera 1 and the dongle.
If you are now trying to add additional devices? You need to do it through the dashboard +! button or using the button on the back of Vera. If it’s a remote device you will need the battery pack.
If you are getting an error message when trying to add devices? What is the error message?

JOD.[/quote]

I added devices just as you said, from dashboard+.Took the Vera around, pressed the zwave include button, veera was blinking slowly, pressed the device button, no response from Vera it was still blinking slowly. Tried it with three dimmers, appliance modules, EZ motion et all . No results. dash board message says’No device added’. Tried this many times. Tried it by bringing the modules near Vera when connected to 220V AC power adapter. No result. The chip is defective???

How many devices do you have?
From the dashboard +! and Next, Add etc. is one method. Carrying Vera and the battery is the OTHER method.
If your devices are working within Vera the chip is fine.
If you are trying to add devices that is another issue.

If you are carrying Vera with the battery and pressing the button, Z-wave light flashing slowly, pressing the button on the device and there is no response with Vera this may be a “failed to go into learn mode” error.
The only way to tell is to try it through the dashboard and witness error messages.

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:10, topic:166957”]How many devices do you have?
From the dashboard +! and Next, Add etc. is one method. Carrying Vera and the battery is the OTHER method.
If your devices are working within Vera the chip is fine.
If you are trying to add devices that is another issue.

If you are carrying Vera with the battery and pressing the button, Z-wave light flashing slowly, pressing the button on the device and there is no response with Vera this may be a “failed to go into learn mode” error.
The only way to tell is to try it through the dashboard and witness error messages.

JOD.
No error messages. The only message is a something like “Added 0 devices”
Nothing more[/quote]

I just want to inform in this forums that my problem is Solved.

It seems the chip was programmed for US frequency and Vera2 Tech support corrected it thro remote access to EU frequncy I use. This is what I was suspecting from the beginning and has come true. Anyhow all is well that ends well. Thank you Jod for all the help and the time spared for answering my doubts.