Making Vera Tamperproof?

I have a vacation home and plan on implementing Luup scripts for AC controls (turn off AC if a window or door sensor is tripped for > 10 min and check temp setting and if necessary reset to my desired minimum AC temp setting.) If I can succesfully implement these scripts, what can I do to stop a smart renter from unplugging my Vera and disabling my zwave AC controls?
If I lock the Vera unit in a wooden cabin or a closet, is that likely to substantially impair Vera’s communications with other devices and components in my system?
I have coving at the top of my walls in my great room, where I could hide Vera but the long ethernet cable leading to it would probably be a giveaway.
Also, is there a way for me to be notified if someone has unplugged my Vera?
Any ideas or suggestions?

My Veras are locked in the owners closets. They are powered by a power socket that I had installed in each owners closet for that specific purpose and they communicate with our internet router in WiFi client mode (ie they act as though they are a computer connecting via WiFi).

I have a long Luup script I wrote that does the sorts of things you are thinking about and to date no guests have managed to tamper with the Veras. Of course in the ideal world you might also want to move your internet router into the locked owners closet as well to make sure guests aren’t fiddling with it either.

Nothing. If they are smart enough to carry an inclusion controller with them they can exclude the stat and set it to whatever they like. Or they can just pull the stat off the wall and hot wire it. Red, yellow, green & wire nut. ;D

JOD.

@JOD,

True, but why would any renter take an inclusion cointroller or hotwire a stat?
They would even have to know a Vera is present up front… HAHAHA

I would say @mtf he has the most ruggadized solution.
If renters want to break something willingly they can do so anyway.
Creating a first barrier like a locked owners closet is the first and biggest step.

Im surprised that you didnt stick the internet router in there from scratch, now theres a peice of hardware renters WOULD like to play with (as they have something similar at home!)

As for interference, any wall, piece of concrete or metal interferes with the wifi and zwave signals.
But in a regular home that should not hamper Vera’s functions as long as the distance doens grow bigger than 100ft. Wifi is your achillis heel, since the zwave signal is repeated by other devices and is therefore much less prone to interference and less relying on distance.

[quote=“Henk, post:4, topic:168371”]@JOD,

True, but why would any renter take an inclusion cointroller or hotwire a stat?
They would even have to know a Vera is present up front… HAHAHA[/quote]
I was just answering the OP for the question that was asked. [quote=“aecchalet, post:1, topic:168371”]If I can succesfully implement these scripts, what can I do to stop a smart renter from unplugging my Vera and disabling my zwave AC controls?[/quote]

Granted, there are numerous definitions of smart, and if the renter is not so smart there are lots of things that can be done. And that was my point, that an A/C unit is easily bypassed and the typical renter is smart enough to know how to bypass it. If they arn’t that smart then you don’t need to worry about them knowing about Z-Wave or Vera in the first place.

JOD.

They do sell clear plastic covers that have locks, that go over thermostats.

Of course nothing will stop a truly motivated indivdual, all you can do is take a few precautions

I might need a few of those for my office. Any idea where to buy those lockable covers?

I got mine from a local HVAC supply company years ago (circa 1996)

I did a quick google search, and Amazon seems to have a bunch to choose from, this one is about $17

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-CG512A1009-Thermostat-Prevent-Tampering/dp/B0002YSV78

This might be the one I actually have, looks similar, beige mounting ring, keylock is on the right, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Products-BB2001-005-Locking-Thermostat/dp/B000IKOLAM/ref=pd_sim_hi_3

Perfect. Thanks.

Trane keypad lock/unlock through Z-Wave here.

Yes, you can lock the keypad, but they still have physical access to the thermostat, the plastic guard prevents even touching the thermostat. Changing byte 9 is ok as well, I do like the physical barrier as well. I have the min/max pluggin as well.